Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Awards Travelers

Default Re: Detroit Awards Travelers

Yes, we went to Glenn Frey Drive - it's so wonderful that they did that for him.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I was at the July 24 show.. Day before my birthday. Even more reason I'm most shocked by his passing, as I am a Bowie fan too.

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I was at the July 24 show.. Day before my birthday. Even more reason I'm most shocked by his passing, as I am a Bowie fan too.
    So awesome you could go to the Eagles concert in Detroit 2015 it sounds like it was very good!

Review of July 24, 215 Eagles Concert at Joe Louis Stadium

The Eagles take Glenn Frey's hometown Detroit fans through their history

Glenn Frey introduced the band, and then gave a shout-out to his hometown. Frey, who was born in Detroit and grew up in Royal Oak, said before he left the area to move to California, he learned his hard world ethic and thanked Detroit for teaching him that.

Source http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d..._freys_ho.html

We went to the hall of fame museum in Cleveland and saw the plaque they have for him. That was nice, as well as the Eagles music on their digital jukebox. Sadly, there was very little Eagles memorabilia there and no Glenn solo memorabilia.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hi all - Soda and I are both back home from Detroit and GA is in flight back to Ireland. Thanks everyone for their interest about our trip. After traveling all day, I am too tired to post much right now, but I promise to write more details about our weekend later.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Looking forward to reading about it Dreamer, but have a good rest first!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Glad you ladies had a good time and that Glenn's tribute was a good one!

Hopefully you can tell us more!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well I will do my best now to do Glenn justice in my review. Certainly different to other reviews I have given, and one I never thought I'd be writing. I suppose in reality it was OUR commemoration of Glenn and we were determined to do him proud.

I arrived in Detroit only minutes before Soda and we headed out to our hotel. We decided to stay in Royal Oak rather than central Detroit and there was something very bittersweet about being in the same area where Glenn spent his youth. On Freyday morning we took a walk into the central district ans were rewarded by being able to buy clothing with Royal Oak (T-shirts and jackets) on them. Dreamer arrived shortly afterwards and we headed out for the first important part of our tribute - Glenn Frey Drive. We found it easily right beside Royal Oak Middle School and spent some time reminiscing and taking some photos. I'll put mine on but want to check with the others which ones if any they want to post.

Royal Oak Middle School

We then checked out some of the addresses that we had heard he had lived in during his youth and finished up at the brewery which had provided the 'Lyin Eyes' beer. Unfortunately they had just finished up its supply last week, but we still had a very pleasant lunch there.

After that it was time to get ready for the Detroit Music Awards. We left early for them and found pleasantly that we did not have to line up outside and stand for several hours, so we went away and had some light snacks and just took in the atmosphere. I would not consider Detroit a 'Tourist Destination' but I definitely liked it and the people there were lovely. When we did get to the awards we were in the GA balcony - we had excellent 2nd row seats on the balcony with a great view (could have sat in the front row if we had wanted). As Soda said the awards dragged a bit and there were several tributes during it but they certainly saved the best tribute to the last.The two songs were well presented and received by the audience and they really did make me feel I was CELEBRATING Glenn 's life rather than mourning his death. I HAVE recorded it and will try to post it at some later stage. We left after the tribute and judging from the crowd it seems a lot of other people did the same. But I was delighted to have chosen this as the tribute that I would attend. It was well worth it. They did their son proud. We heard the full word 5 times during the show (instead of only half of it)

Saturday we started early and drove up to the R&RHOF. It was lovely to go with and be with Soda and Dreamer - we were able to play our Glenn and Eagles music all the way there and back, and chat and reminisce. We had some lunch in the hard Rock there and saw one of Joes guitars on display.

But I think we were all disappointed at what poor representation there was of the actual Eagles or of Glenn . Yes there was his tribute picture in the Memorial section and a few pieces of Eagles memorabilia but overall we all felt there could have been a lot more.
    We saw Hotel Keys of Timothys, a guitar of Felders, LBG Lyrics written by Joe
    and a set list from one of their shows

However in saying that I was delighted (if that be the word) to have had the chance to visit the HOF and pay my own respects to Glenn

We also had a bit of fun getting our pics taken with guitars and singing TIE in a booth.
    Dreamer was fantastic taking the 3hr drive back to Detroit in awful rain in her stride. We then had our dinner in the Hard Rock Cafe in Detroit. But again while there was a HC album signed by Don Henley and Glenn as well as one of Felders

Sunday was travel day!! We were up early - Soda and I for our flights and Dreamer for her long drive home. I made it back as expected the following morning. I'm glad to read that the others made it home ok.

I hope I have done some justice to Glenn and to Soda and to Dreamer. It was definitely great to meet up with them - very healing and definitely cathartic. Its been harder to write this review rather than the ones I have written of his shows and the Eagles shows. I know I felt a lot more emotional than I may be portraying in this review. At the end of the day RIP Glenn . Thank you for the music - Glenn Frey
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Maybe a meet-up every November 6th in Royal Oak?

Thank you for the lovely review and photos, GA. You look so beautiful standing there on Glenn Frey Drive. It's so good that you all enjoyed the trip together.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you