Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Awards Travelers

Default Re: Detroit Awards Travelers

Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences GA, Soda and Dreamer.
    It sounds like you had a great trip and have some happy memories to keep !
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences GA, Soda and Dreamer.
    It sounds like you had a great trip and have some happy memories to keep !
    I echo Lacken's sentiments. I know it was a difficult journey but I'm sure in time you'll realise how much it helped you all.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

I'm so glad the three of you did this - it must have been cathartic for you & a great way to honour Glenn. I wish I could do something similar - but I am not in a position to travel.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks again everyone for all of your kinds words. As GA said, our trip was a different experience than all of our previous ones for sure. The three of us were there with the same sense of purpose - to celebrate Glenn's life and to honor his memory. Every time we had something to drink, we toasted Glenn. I'm glad we stayed in Royal Oak instead of downtown Detroit - it just seemed like we were where we should be. I hope we did him proud and would like to think he was, indeed, looking over us with a big grin on his face.

As far as the music, some of you may know that I had hardly listened to any music of any kind since Glenn's death - my heart just hadn't been in it. However, I had decided a few ago that I would play all of Glenn's solo work and Eagles albums on my long drive to Detroit. A few days before the trip, I listened to my Bob Seger and Jackson Browne CDs to prepare myself. So, even though it was hard at times, I did get through the entire Glenn and Eagles catalogs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'm so glad the three of you did this - it must have been cathartic for you & a great way to honour Glenn. I wish I could do something similar - but I am not in a position to travel.

It was indeed cathartic - and I believe that word was used several times while we were there. We did have some fun too - Glenn would not have liked us to be downhearted the whole time that we were there. As Dreamer said it was very appropriate to stay in Royal Oak and walk the streets that Glenn (presumably) walked and take in the atmosphere of the area. For me the highlight was being able to visit Glenn Frey Drive while it was still new and fresh.It wasn't a 'cure all' but meeting with great friends who understand what we are all going through and being able to commemorate Glenn in a manner befitting him was definitely a milestone on the road to acceptance.

I have listened to Glenn 's music since he passed on but when I tried After Hours I just couldn't do it yet. As Sunday is the 4th Anniversary of its release I hope to listen to it in full.

I know I was lucky to have the time and the means to travel to make this tribute, like I was able to travel to see his shows too when he was alive.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Thank you, Soda, Dreamer, and GA, for sharing your experiences! Sounds like you had a wonderful time remembering all the great things about Glenn as both the man and the musician. (We won't call him a rock star, either! ) And, GA, you look fabulous in that photo!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    Thank you, Soda, Dreamer, and GA, for sharing your experiences! Sounds like you had a wonderful time remembering all the great things about Glenn as both the man and the musician. (We won't call him a rock star, either! ) And, GA, you look fabulous in that photo!
    See my signature for an After Hours era comment on how he felt after working with an orchestra.

Niagara Falls & Los Angeles were the highlights of my concert experiences as well. I am so glad I went to those shows, especially Niagara Falls which I will never forget. Although Brisbane 2013 was special for other reasons....

I must have listened to his entire catalog three times over this past week. The music is always there for us. It is his legacy and as GA told me, he will never be forgotten as long as it is played.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

If anyone would like to see the actual video I recorded it on the ipad. The quality isn't great but at least I got something!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1e78P_uvg
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Thanks for posting that!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten