Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dallas, TX - May 1, 2016 "Ultimate Don Henley Experience"

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Dallas, TX - May 1, 2016 "Ultimate Don Henley Experience"

Hi guys, I know everyone is anxiously waiting for a review & you may have to wait a couple more days for it. I am exhausted from lack of sleep but it was great catching up with old friends & meeting new ones.
    As I said before Don was so gracious and at the beginning, it was apparent that he was nervous & somewhat apprehensive. As he put it "he was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs". He then asked where people were from so everyone yelled out their home city/state or country. He seemed genuinely surprised that there were fans from Austria, Canada, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, etc. When someone called out Melbourne he said he had a cousin living there & went on to explain that she went to medical school & married a fellow medical student from Australia. When they graduated he took her to Melbourne to live so Don always visits when he is there. This was how the whole show went with Don talking to us, answering questions & going on a tangent as he said. He was very patient, kind & thoughtful in answering the questions. I was impressed that he was never dismissive of anyone's question.
    The Troubadour story was in answer to the question - did he have any favorite memories of playing there. He said he could clear up 1 rumor in that the Eagles never played there. He played there with his band Shiloh and in Linda's backing band. Then he explained that he now realizes that it was not the building, the 4 walls that made The Troub special but the people there at that time. People like Linda R., David Crosby, Graham Nash, Steve Martin, John David Souther etc . So this story goes as I remember him telling it.....

"Glenn & I were upstairs in the balcony watching Linda R. & her band perform. At the next table was a guy & his date, girlfriend, wife. Which I didn't know but the guy kept talking & was LOUD. So Linda is singing a soft ballad & Glenn & I are trying to listen so I shss'd him. He turns to me & says 'hey man, I'm cool'. I must have had a couple of tequila shots in me cause I said 'no man, you're an a$$hole'. Well the guy stands up, Glenn turns white cause this is a big guy. He picks me up by the shirt & lifts me OFF the ground. I am hanging there & Glenn starts trying to talk the guy down, telling him that he didn't need to do that, it's all good & that he shouldn't do this because I am in the Eagles. Like the guy is going to know WHO the Eagles are. We didn't even have our 1st record out. But after a minute of Glenn talking, he sat me down".

This was one of my favorite stories of the night & Don looked amused as he told the story. More to come......

Border Troubadour

Wow!!! Sounds great, HB!!! Would have LOVED to have been there
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Thank you, HB, for sharing your experiences! Don can surely tell some great stories about his past, and I love reading them. Hoping he does write a book at some point.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

DD, it was so special! You would have been over the moon. Don's part of the experience was so great VA and I both decided that if he did it again we would go at least one more time. He was so engaging and adorable. I am running out of adjectives. Also I would hope in the future that he would be comfortable talking more about Glenn. You could tell that he is still struggling and trying to cope with Glenn's passing. He only mentioned Glenn by name 3 or 4 times. Talking about the Hotel
    California musical seemed especially hard for him. He described it and talked about it for a couple of minutes before he could say that it was Glenn's project but he has now taken it over. My heart was breaking listening to him talk about it.

Now I need to stop shopping and eating so much and start saving!

I'm glad Don will continue on with the HC musical. I think Glenn would want him to. I'm looking forward to that in the future.

I really want to hug Don because this probably has been very hard on him. Losing his partner, friend and brother. You want to hug all the guys. Maybe down the road he can talk more about Glenn.

I heard some good stuff from this weekend. I would love to go to this. I might need to start saving now because its going to take me a year to save for that kind of money. I already figured out what I need to take out of my check every month if there's one next year which probably will be one. I probably will drive to Texas since its 6 hours away and cheaper than flying from MS to Dallas and stay at another hotel.

I'm glad you and VA had fun. Thanks for the little recap. With me not able to be on facebook during the day, I'm glad I have this board to go to when I'm at work.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-03-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    DD, it was so special! You would have been over the moon. Don's part of the experience was so great VA and I both decided that if he did it again we would go at least one more time. He was so engaging and adorable. I am running out of adjectives. Also I would hope in the future that he would be comfortable talking more about Glenn. You could tell that he is still struggling and trying to cope with Glenn's passing. He only mentioned Glenn by name 3 or 4 times. Talking about the Hotel
    California musical seemed especially hard for him. He described it and talked about it for a couple of minutes before he could say that it was Glenn's project but he has now taken it over. My heart was breaking listening to him talk about it.

Me too! ! I always call my piggy bank my 'running away money' - lol now I'll have to call it 'Don's runaway money! '

Glad you and VA enjoyed it - I know it was emotional in more ways than one. Did you get a photo with Don and/or a hug? Did he have nice aftershave on ? (these details are very important ! )
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

I'm so glad that you and VA enjoyed it, HB- Don sounds like a dote (think that's the only word I can use to describe him at the moment (same meaning as adorable and cute ).

I really hope he does some more of these next year, need to top up my Don fund first!!
    Hope to hear more stories from you over the week , it's what keeps us going
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

I think I heard he might do 3 or 4 more. I just hope its not in the same year. I want to go next year. Just give me a year to save for almost 1,500 dollars.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Talking about the Hotel
    I'm sure it has to be hard for him to talk about Glenn. I'm glad he mentioned the musical and that he is taking it over since, evidently, Glenn was so involved with it.

I just read that there will be a musical with Dan Fogelberg's music, Part of the Plan, coming out. I'm not a musical fan, but it seems they are THE thing to do!

Here is a link to it: http://www.playbill.com/article/dan-...ing-com-330835
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Glad to hear HB!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."