Thread: Beacon Theater, New York 1974

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Beacon Theater, New York 1974

A new, classic-period Eagles live release appears to be coming down the pike July 8, though it seems doubtful it was officially sanctioned by the Eagles themselves(having traversed the vast expanses of Amazon through the years, some of these releases are put out independent of the artists and their record companies). This set will feature guest performances with Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt, as well as early-period classics that have never before seen release as part of a live CD set.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CR9GPQE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3RUI DFG9ZQ8J3&coliid=I13MZFLCUY9B5W[/ame]

Anyone know anything about this particular concert(musical quality, acoustics, etc.)? Knowing zip about it myself, I'm curious if this release is a wait worth the while.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Default Re: Beacon Theater, New York 1974

http://de.napster.com/artist/eagles/...ered-live-on-b

WS82, here's a link to the show that you're wondering about. It has samples of all the songs, so you can determine whether or not it's worth it.

Banned

Thanks for the link RudieCantFail. It looks, very much like the, pre-Joe, Don Kirshner show to me. A rare chance to see the Eagles excel themselves, backing up other musicians.

Stuck on the Border

It's the Don Kirshner concert which was filmed and recorded for tv.

BTW if you see the one advertised as "Joe Walsh & Glenn Frey", it's from Houston during the "Party of Two" tour and seems to be a selection fof 14 songs from a 24 song set-list. There's very little Joe Walsh on it and it sounds like it may not have been one of his good nights.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-12-2016 at 09:56 AM.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Finally got around to listening to this. I wonder if this is the concert Felder mentioned in his auto-bio as having to miss as a result of his wife giving birth, as this show sounds far different than any show they did with the re-vamped lineup. The rockers "Already Gone" and 'Good Day in Hades' sound very country-tinged, which is very contrary to their recorded sound on the recently-released 'Border' album.

The sets with Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne were great showcases for their respective talents, and showcases the dynamic that would have been in play when the Eagles were just starting out as her backing band. Ronstadt's lead vocal on "Desperado" gave the song a unique element that I suppose sometimes lacks in the original, though I still prefer the latter version. It was nice to hear live versions of "Midnight Flyer," "21," and "Ol' 55," as you don't hear very many released live performances of those particular cuts.

The version of "Take it Easy" which closes the album is without question the best version of the entire lot(original, Eagles Live, HFO, and Beacon Theater). Browne and Ronstadt on backing vocals just makes the song sizzle. The Eagles could always take the song more places in a live setting than they ever could in the studio.

Sound quality is a bit murky at times--Nowhere near the quality of even the recently-released 'Radio Broadcast 1986' Frey solo concert.

All in all, a recommended listen.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

The show Felder missed was California Jam. This is most apparent in the performance of Already Gone, where Glenn Frey plays his original solo but the other solo - the sustained notes, which would have been played by Felder, are not present. This part is audible on the studio version and every other live version so you can tell by hearing that there is a guitarist missing, even without the more obvious method of noticing Felder's absence while watching the video.

One thing I've sometimes read about this show is that Felder wasn't probably integrated into the band at this point and on some of the rockers it feels like. From memory (I haven't heard any of these performances in a while) I didn't think it was a problem on GDIH, although I can understand these comments on Already Gone.

Stuck on the Border

I'm going to add a timeline, a long with a few links. This is mostly based on setlist.fm and there's the possibility that some dates are missing.
    I hadn't realised that the Don Kirshner concert was immediately after the recording of the On the Border album and may have been the first concert they played with Don Felder.

to 3 August 1973 Desperado US tour

roughly August - October 1973
    the four original Eagles travel to London to record On the Border with Glyn Johns

3 -10 November 1973
    with the failure of the On the Border recording sessions, a short tour of the UK, opening for Neil Young, was arranged.

21 November 1973
    the original four play a date at Holly Cross College, Worcester, MA. This has several songs that would turn up on On the Border (Ol' 55, Good Day in Hell, James Dean) and a couple that didn't make it (Wait and See, Georgia Peach). There is a bootleg of this.
    http://bbchron.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0...s-college.html

21 November to 20 December 1973
    US tour, no further setlists or bootlegs that I've seen.

January to March 1974
    Recording of On the Border with Bill Szymzcyck in LA. Don Felder joins towards the end of the recording sessions, adding guitar to Already Gone and Good Day in Hell.

14 March 1974 (setlist has the Don Kirshner concert listed as being in LA on 19 July 1974)
    Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, recorded at Beacon Theatre, New York and broadcast on TV.
    Don Felder is present as are guests Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne.

22 March 1974
    Release of On the Border allbum

22 March 1974 to 19 October 1974 (with some gaps)
    US tour, presumably with Don Felder.

6 April 1974 California Jam
    Don Felder misses this because of the birth of his son and Jackson Browne joins them

2 May 1974 Providence, RI
    There is a bootleg of this concert. The blogger thought Don Felder wasn't present but I can hear Glenn naming Don Felder in the recording.
    http://bbchron.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0...idence-ri.html

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Awesome UTW - thanks for doing that!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016