Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make an Eagles album from Solo Tracks

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Make an Eagles album from Solo Tracks

Can anyone make an Eagles album up from Solo tracks. Either by sticking to tracks from similar years, or by mixing up tracks from different years.

I'm not yet (working on it now) familiar with all the solo albums enough to do it myself, but I'd like to see what albums more knowledgeable people come up with. I'll give it a go myself some time in the future.

Sorry if this has been done/asked for before, I haven't looked through 37 pages of threads here. (See username for explanation.)

Default Re: Make an Eagles album from Solo Tracks

I don't know their solo material that well either, but I will say that from the first time I heard Parachute from Timothy's Expando album, I thought it would have made a good Eagles song. I can almost hear Glenn's arrangement.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I don't know their solo material that well either, but I will say that from the first time I heard Parachute from Timothy's Expando album, I thought it would have made a good Eagles song. I can almost hear Glenn's arrangement.
    Oh yes, I love the CS&N style of the backing vocals, the rhythmic acoustic, the bassline, the solo. It's got a great melody and lyrics. It's a must-have for any solo to Eagles album I would make. I'm playing it now on spotify, which is a relief to cut away from hearing a certain Joe Walsh song for the first time. (I like Joe when he's trying, but one certain song ...)

Banned

When the Eagles reunited for the HFO tour, a large chunk of the set list consisted of solo hits. Certainly not the tracks that would sit most comfortably with the existing Eagles material but the biggest solo hits.
    The broadened range of songs probably allowed them to bump up their set list to 3 hours.

The Eagles could release a live album of just solo tracks, that have been performed at Eagles shows.

Don Henley
    Dirty Laundry
    The Boys Of Summer
    The Heart Of The Matter
    All She Wants To Do Is Dance
    New York Minute
    Sunset Grill

Glenn Frey
    You Belong To The City
    The Heat Is On
    Smuggler's Blues
    Lover's Moon
    Sea Cruise

Joe Walsh
    Life's Been Good
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Funk #49 (James Gang)
    Walk Away (James Gang)
    Help Me Through The Night
    Turn To Stone
    All Night Long
    One Day At A Time

Timothy B Schmit
    Keep On Tryin' (Poco)

The reason why there are so many Walsh songs is that they started performing solo Walsh songs in the mid seventies, quite a few years before the other guys had any solo hits. In fact, In The City and Guilty Of The Crime were solo Walsh songs before the Eagles recorded them. Joe really plays a minor role on Eagles albums compared to his stage presence.

In their very early days, the Eagles performed some Bernie Leadon songs that didn't appear on Eagles albums. Maybe Randy's Bad Man (written by Glenn) too. I've probably forgotten a couple too.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Randy's "One More Song" might be viable, since Henley & Frey sing back-up and the song was written by Jack Tempchin.

The aforementioned "Bad Man" is also a good choice.

I gave it a go. However, my knowledge of the solo albums is not as good as it should be. But, with some Eagles-solo-album additional research on spotify and youtube, I came up with the album below.

I haven't included Bernie or Don F. It was already getting a bit difficult to not dilute each member down to one or two songs each. I've also tried to limit the 80s-ness of the album a bit, so many well known hits aren't here. Also, I've tried to make a cohesive album rather than a 'best of'. Bernie is slightly included as Journey of the Sorcerer influenced the choice of Theme from Boat Weirdos so that side one ended with an instrumental.

I didn't use any of Joe's pre-Eagles songs, even though they are his best. (How good would Help Me Through the Night be on an Eagles album? - I've loved that song for decades) It may be cheating to use songs from "But Seriously Folks"

Side 1:

1: Glenn Frey - Silent Spring
    2: Don Henley - No, Thank You
    3: Glenn Frey - The One You Love
    4: Randy Meisner - My How Things Have Changed
    5: Glenn Frey - Before the Ship Goes Down
    6: Joe Walsh - Theme From Boat Weirdos

Side 2:

1: Joe Walsh - Indian Summer
    2: Don Henley - Dirty Laundry
    3: Tim Schmit - Parachute
    4: Glenn Frey - Lover's Moon
    5: Don Henley - For My Wedding
    6: Tim Schmit - Voices
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 05-21-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Very unique, AT! Why did you choose Boat Weirdos for a representative Joe track, rather than say Life's Been Good or Life of Illusion?

I would maybe choose the members' best solo songs, or most Eagles-like solo songs. However, I like your choice for Randy; he's very proud of that song & understandably so.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Very unique, AT! Why did you choose Boat Weirdos for a representative Joe track, rather than say Life's Been Good or Life of Illusion?

I would maybe choose the members' best solo songs, or most Eagles-like solo songs. However, I like your choice for Randy; he's very proud of that song & understandably so.
    I was trying to sequence an album, so didn't want a list of songs that were all the same. I've always liked Theme From Boat Weirdos. My elder brother had a copy of the Life's Been Good single, but I always preferred playing TFBW, which was the B-side. I like how the instrumental Journey of the Sorcerer adds variety to OOTN, so went for that. While it works live, Life's Been Good with its jokey lyrics wouldn't fit well on an Eagles album, I think. A Life of Illusion was released after The Eagles first split, but was written and partially recorded before Joe joined the Eagles, I think. Hence, I thought it was cheating a bit too much to use it.

Stuck on the Border

I am unfamiliar with Leadon & Meisner's solo work & I don't wish to include anything by Felder. We had a very old thread (started by me, in fact) where we discussed a Hypothetical Eagles Album that could have been released in 1982 had they not broken up.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...read.php?t=669

1. Dirty Laundry
    2. I've Got Mine
    3. River Of Dreams
    4. Parachute
    5. Second Hand Store
    6. Goodbye To A River
    7. The Allnighter
    8. Indiam Summer
    9. A Month Of Sundays
    10. Down By The River
    11. The One You Love

Too many ballads I think. NB I am having keyboard isues today.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-20-2016 at 07:49 PM.

In my list I deliberately added ballads. It wouldn't be an Eagles album without them. I made a spotify playlist of my album tracklist. I note that yours has some similarities, but will make a playlist of yours too.

EDIT: Except I can't because "Tell me the Truth" isn't on Spotify. I hadn't heard "Down by the River" before, but am listening now. Nice song, and it fits well.

I wasn't familiar with Bernie's "Natural Progression" before yesterday. Now I believe that it's one of the best Eagles Solo albums (unless you include Walsh's pre-Eagles albums, which in a couple of cases I think rival the best of the Eagles). "Natural Progression" is on spotify if anyone wants to listen. Says the person that up until yesterday was completely ignorant
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 05-21-2016 at 01:57 AM.