Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What should Eagles fans know?

Default Re: What should Eagles fans know?

I think ALL members who were Eagles should be given credit for they did specifically. Nothing should go overlooked - everyone deserves the truth.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    Oh, let me see...that Don Henley has a lot of fans out there who don't think he's a raging control-freak asshole.

Yeah, that's about it.😡
    There's a distinction between 'control freak' and 'perfectionist' and I agree, NOLA that Don's extremely high standards (and Glenn's it must be said) have contributed to why the Eagles' music is held in such high esteem.

I know you guys were joking but I just wanted to make the point.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

It's Eagles not The Eagles

Similarly, Timothy's last name is not synonymous with a brewery, therefore no "d" in it, Glenn's first name boasts a double consonant at the end, and his surname is not to be confused with a boot manufacturer. It's "Frey," not "Frye."
    I know a lot of fans have pet peeves about these common misspellings.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    It's Eagles not The Eagles
    I know this, but it's sometimes difficult to get something that sounds grammatically correct while avoiding the 'the'. Hence, I sometimes put a small the before Eagles.

Joe Walsh is a member of Eagles. Eagles reunited in 1994 for the Hell Freezes Over album. Eagles were lead by Glenn Frey and Don Henley. Don Felder sued Eagles after he was dismissed in 1994. Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh was a member of The James Gang, Barnstorm, and released solo albums before he joined Eagles. Few people know that Bill Clinton was going to be a founder member of Eagles but Hillary insisted that he receive 1/2 of all royalties in perpetuity even though he didn't write songs, sing, and could only play a little bit of saxophone. Eagles refused. Ah, the last one is where I would typically put a 'the'.

Stuck on the Border

In the documentary, even Glenn Frey used "the", so I'll go with "the Eagles" just not "The Eagles".

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    In the documentary, even Glenn Frey used "the", so I'll go with "the Eagles" just not "The Eagles".
    That capital T makes the difference.

I don't care, you'll never ever hear me say "My favorite band is Eagles".... It sounds waaaay weird. It's one of those names that needs a "the" in front for no explainable reason other than it feels right. Though I don't like it when people bill them as The Eagles, but a lowercase t is very much ok with me and what I use unless it's the start of a sentence, which I'll find something else to use before the name (my favorite band is the Eagles rather than The Eagles are my favorite band.).

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Send him to Soda's main site https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/ and the ones she has for each band member and let him poke around. She has so much on there.
    Thanks for the plug!

If your friend has watched the History of the Eagles documentary, than many of the basics have been covered, at least regarding Glenn and Don. A lot of the early careers of the other guys were not covered in very much depth. That will require research like visiting pertinent sites and looking them up on YouTube.

I agree about the capital "T" making the difference with regard to the band's moniker. A lower case "t" signals that it's not officially part of the name. Since they chose a common noun for the band name, though, it's inevitably going to require the article to sound grammatically correct. If they didn't want that, they should have chosen a proper noun. A proper noun phrase like "Teen King and the Emergencies" wouldn't require an article before it, but... I think they made the right decision in ditching that, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

That's your site? I've been using it all the time.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Soda has done great service to Eagle fandom by creating this site as well as individual sites for each group member: GlennFreyOnline, RandyMeisnerOnline, etc. Visit 'em all, they're well done and packed full of information.