Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy’s memorial service at The Troubadour

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Randy’s memorial service at The Troubadour

Hi everyone, this event was emceed by Don Henley. It was very private, only 61 invited guests. Vince Gill and Timothy Schmit attended. Vince sang Amazing Grace. The evening concluded with everyone singing Take It to the Limit. https://randymeisnerheartsonfire.com...c7ygKG8hUjl-Hs

Default Re: Randy’s memorial service at The Troubadour

My guess on the date it was held was Sunday, August 20th.

Stuck on the Border

That's a beautiful thing. And a lovely thing from Don. I keep reading about Vince Gill. Was BERNIE there?!? Don Felder?!?

I don’t think Don Henley would tolerate being in the same building as Mr. Felder but you never know. I was very surprised that Henley was emcee for the memorial, as he seemed to have the most damaged relationship with Randy. But of course, there’s so much we don’t know. These band relationships are no doubt extremely complex.

Rolling Stone recently interviewed Timothy Schmit, who mentioned the Troubadour memorial for Randy and the “incredible professional karmic tie” the two of them shared. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ASby0BjuW5Yfg8

Stuck on the Border

I honestly forgot all about the Eagles/Felder conflict here. Weird. I totally get Don Henley not wanting to be in the company of Felder. But this was about Randy and as far as I know Randy never fell out with Felder. Felder deserved to be there more than Vince Gill.

Enough of my rant now. It was great that Don H did that for Randy. Maybe I shouldn't be thinking about Felder

Don Felder has been posting about Randy on social media, playing Take It to the Limit in concert, posting a photo of Randy’s usual table at his favorite restaurant Casa Vega, etc. They were good pals.

I'm glad DH was the emcee and was able to do it and wanted to do it. I think even with their past history - to put that aside for something of this magnitude was honorable.

I see where chaim is coming from on the Felder deal but I agree with NMB that Henley would *not* agree to emcee or just be there had Felder been invited. Not gonna happen. But I agree with chaim's sentiments about Vince Gill being there. Seems odd to me but this whole post-Glenn period of the band has been "odd" to me so that's nothing new.

That said I was hoping Bernie and Joe would go and I think Henley would have been fine with Bernie there since they seem to have parted ways amicably after the HOTE tour. I think it's sweet that Timothy went. He always seemed to be very appreciative of Randy and always gave credit where it's due and almost seemed to not want to sing his songs out of reverance for Randy which I think is very commendable. I've never seen anything but class from that guy. I'd like to think Randy had no hard feelings about Timothy too.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I wonder who did the inviting, family or ? I would have thought Joe would have been there especially when it's only a couple miles from where he lives. Henley MC it may not have wanted Don there but it's not about him it was about Randy. There is a time when one should set aside your differences. Nice the Timothy came, he always recognized Randy.
    It's sad thinking that we are losing so many Rockers .

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    There is a time when one should set aside your differences.
    I can almost guarantee Henley wouln't see it that way.

I don't disagree with you on the idea of putting differences aside but I don't think Henley and Felder have been in the same room since the firing and I can say with some certainty Don Henley wants that to remain that way until one of them is gone. I'm sure Felder wouldn't mind but I think Henley hates Felder as much as Glenn did for how he treated his friend and how he disparaged him in that book. There is no putting that aside for DH. There is no chance for reconciliation and frankly the only thing that would disgust me more than the current band situation would be asking Felder back. That would be the ultimate slap in the face to Glenn and I would be livid! Felder sank his own battleship and while it's a shame grown men can't put that aside, I don't think I'd want them being too chummy either. I love Felder as a player and for his contributions and I consider him a guitar hero but I detest him as a person and I find his personality repulsive. I think he has only himself to blame. Glenn was the boss and he pushed his luck.

So while it would have been nice for DH to put differences aside for this, I think there is a better chance of pigs flying than Henley agreeing to do this event knowing Felder would be there and there was a good chance of Felder trying to strike up a conversation. Hell won't freeze over twice and there is no burying this hatchet. Not going to happen!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

My thinking of setting aside their differences I meant that they should just sit on opposite side of the room if needed, they don't have to talk to each other but they're there for Randy and his family. In reality I don't see Felder and Henley ever sitting in the same room.
    i agree with what you said. Anytime I hear Fedler speak about his time in the Eagles, it always starts with "I had to.."Its like he thought he was the only one there who could do anything. In articles I read about him they talk about his playing which is great, but also about his phrasing which he actually admitted that he learned it from Joe. Joe is a fantastic at it.
    Glenn can never be replaced. Sure you can get a guitar player or singer but not his personality, his drive and the fun he just seemed to have. I miss him and Joe playing together and having fun on the stage together.