Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

Banned

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    Curtesy of good old Wiki

"The song references William Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part II: "Old Billy was right: let's kill all the lawyers - kill 'em tonight", echoing Shakespeare's line "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".

Still not sure why that would have made the list but Iron Maiden and The Smiths are there as well ......
    Thanks Lacken101, it's obvious now that "Old Billy" is a reference to William Shakespeare.

I'm mixing topics now but until I closely, studied the lyrics to Don's, Driving With Your Eyes Closed, I thought, some guys breathed "bubble air" rather than "Baudelaire" (1821 – 1867) A French poet who also produced notable work as an essayist, art critic, and pioneering translator of Edgar Allan Poe.)

You need an encyclopedia and a dictionary to understand all Henley's references.

Stuck on the Border

I found our Literary Eagles topic:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=5391

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I was going to suggest maybe moving these last few posts to that thread, or even to the Mentions in the Press thread. The explanations are interesting and I think could be very useful to people who maybe don't get the 'Old Billy' reference in GOI on first listen, so I think it's a shame to leave this a thread which isn't really meant for in-depth discussions where I suspect it will ultimately get forgotten and buried under subsequent postings.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I thought of Don twice yesterday evening. One of the categories on Jeopardy was Ralph Waldo Emerson. Another show I watched a little while later was about th early years of founding America's national parks. It briefly mentioned both Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Driving into work this morning, I was behind a white van that had the logo Meisner Electric Inc. I restrained myself from shouting to the driver, "Take me to your leader!"

I'd never heard of the company before but they've done some huge projects including the massive Marlins Ballpark.

Lol, NMB!

My therapist's name is Cindy, so sometimes Glenn comes to mind when I talk to her.
    -Kim-

I just got done reading Judy Collins's book, Shameless. In one of the last chapters, there's a fictitious Grammy award ceremony. One of the sentences says "Leonard Cohen and Glenn Frey were named best male performers".
    -Kim-

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I just got done reading Judy Collins's book, Shameless. In one of the last chapters, there's a fictitious Grammy award ceremony. One of the sentences says "Leonard Cohen and Glenn Frey were named best male performers".
    That's too cool.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Not little things, but I used to have an older friend who looked a LOT like Glenn Frey did in later years--Towering physical presence, big face, and wavy hair on top. Frey was only 2 years older than my friend is.

I also wear a t-shirt with a cow skull on it, reminiscent of the album covers for "One of These Nights" and "Greatest Hits '71-'75." Also thinking of buying ones with eagles flying on them, since official band shirts are so prohibitively expensive.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Was watching CSI (the original Vegas one) as I'm binging on it and there was a Hotel California reference in Season 6 Episode: Pirates Of The Third Reich.

Greg said "This clinic is like Hotel California, you can check out anytime you like but you might not leave".

Kinda cool.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."