Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

Border Desperado

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

That's awesome! I see it too.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks so much for that, DD - great job! I can see a definite resemblance at a quick glance, but not so much when I take a closer look. Their mouths, in particular, look very different to me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I saw a bit of the CMA Music Fest on TV last night (I assume it was this year's festival, not sure though) and was given a few Eagles reminders.

I noticed that Hank Williams Jr. played his song Born To Boogie, which reminded me of the Long Run outtake on Selected Works of the same name (IIRC Wikipedia states that the Eagles version was written by Williams, when it is a clearly different song - for one thing, Hank's song was released in 1987).

Another reminder was that Miranda Lambert was on, which reminded me of her vocal on Bramble Rose (my sister quite likes her so I played her the song, which she hadn't heard before).

However, the main thing that reminded me was how different the approach to country music is now. I know modern country is quite different from its more traditional forms. It reminded so much me of Don's views on country music and also his specific comment in Manchester - 'The music that comes out of Nashville now... that's not country!'.

Today in my Human Bio class, my professor had her Pandora up on the projector at the start of class. I saw that a station called "The Eagles (UK) Radio" was up there. I thought it was weird that it said that, and I thought about the Eagles. I just looked it up and the The Eagles (UK) were a British quartet that existed from 1958 to 1964.

I also thought her last name was pronounced like 'pray' or 'fray,' but nope, it's pronounced like 'fry' or 'Frey.' I'd rather not say her last name on here for you know, reasons. It did end in -rey, but I didn't think of Frey until she said her name.

Also, she allows us to pick a codename to post grades online, since she doesn't really use Canvas or Angel. I have a limit of 10 characters, so I was thinking of "TheLongRun" or "Desperado." I'd like to use my current username, but it's too long. And I don't want to shorten it to RCF for that instance. I have no problem w/ it on here. Anyways, I might pick the former, since I like that album better, unless there are any suggestions that come up here. I have until next Tuesday to decide.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I've come up with a short list of a few Eagles song titles that have 10 letters or fewer in total, assuming you don't use spaces (as in your 'TheLongRun' example). There aren't that many, as many of their songs have quite long titles with several words (e.g. Peaceful Easy Feeling, After The Thrill Is Gone and Frail Grasp On The Big Picture to name three), but these would fit along with the two you've already mentioned.

TakeItEasy
    Earlybird
    Tryin'
    TwentyOne
    OutlawMan
    MyMan
    JamesDean
    Ol'55
    LyinEyes
    Visions
    WastedTime
    InTheCity
    ThoseShoes
    TheSadCafe
    GetOverIt
    HowLong
    Somebody

Hope this helps! It looks weird to see the song titles typed out in this way, but it makes it easier to see how many characters each name has. I won't make any suggestions as it is your codename and it is ultimately your decision.

Thanks, JCL! TakeItEasy, Ol'55, InTheCity, ThoseShoes, TheSadCafe, and HowLong are pretty good, and I'll put those up under consideration. LyinEyes, WastedTime, and GetOverIt can make me look a little mischievous w/o any knowledge of the Eagles. I like the songs, but I don't think GetOverIt would look good next to a grade or test score. I'd pick OutlawMan if I was a dude, even though I like it a lot. The rest at first glance wouldn't necessarily scream Eagles. I'd pick Earlybird if I was a morning person and if I liked the song enough.

It's too bad that Don hardly has any songs w/ short song titles, other than 1 or 2 on each album that he has done. I also looked at Glenn's discography, and I didn't really see anything that jumped at me for a short song title other than Partytown. ETA: Just thought that Funk49 could work well.

Anyways, thank you very much again for taking the time to come up with a list!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Well the actor/character that reminds me on Glenn of "Dead of Summer" Alex (played by Ronen Rubinstein) got killed off in the finale last night but it is a horror series so I should've expected it. LOL Still sad though but he died a hero saving one of girls and his redemption arc coming full circle. Weird thing was that the other guy I liked on the show Garrett (played by Alberto Freeza) got killed off too almost the same way and ending up saving everyone else.

It is an anthology series and the writers already said if it gets renewed for season 2 it'll be set in 1970 and reuse the same actors in new roles as well as some new actors. Before getting cast as Alex, Ronen had his hair shoulder length and got it cut in a shorter 80s style for the show since season 1 was 1989. So I'm hoping if it happens he'll grow it back out again to fit the time period and look like 70s Glenn again.

Plus, I also love how close the cast is and the bromance that has formed between Ronen and as he's said on his social media pages "his brother from another mother" Alberto. Reminds me of Glenn & Don so much already.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Is "Dead of Summer" over already? I kept missing it. I think I just watched the first episode. I'll have to catch up with On Demand. I don't remember a guy resembling Glenn. I'll be on the look out for him.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Yeah, the season finale was last night. It was only 10 episodes and I got hooked quickly with all those twists. LOL The Alex character played by Ronen Rubinstein reminded me of 80s Glenn both having his hair and personality wise, and then I found out he was on "Orange is the New Black" last year and used to have the same long hair too as 70s Glenn and was driving an old Ford pickup truck in that ep.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
    Thanks, JCL! TakeItEasy, Ol'55, InTheCity, ThoseShoes, TheSadCafe, and HowLong are pretty good, and I'll put those up under consideration. LyinEyes, WastedTime, and GetOverIt can make me look a little mischievous w/o any knowledge of the Eagles. I like the songs, but I don't think GetOverIt would look good next to a grade or test score. I'd pick OutlawMan if I was a dude, even though I like it a lot. The rest at first glance wouldn't necessarily scream Eagles. I'd pick Earlybird if I was a morning person and if I liked the song enough.

It's too bad that Don hardly has any songs w/ short song titles, other than 1 or 2 on each album that he has done. I also looked at Glenn's discography, and I didn't really see anything that jumped at me for a short song title other than Partytown. ETA: Just thought that Funk49 could work well.

Anyways, thank you very much again for taking the time to come up with a list!
    AfterHours?