Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I remember that concert where Glenn is introducing that song and, referring to Zelda, says something to the effect of "She was WEEEEIIIIIRD!" lol
    Glenn definitely said that line during the 1973 BBC version of WW. I love the way he says that bit! I also find the 'details, details' banter amusing, pretty sure it was from that show too.

Stuck on the Border

I'm just back from the supermarket. There was a display of vinyl records - the first I've ever seen in that shop - and it was clearly aimed at late baby boomers. I saw Queen, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac (Rumours) but no Eagles. Twenty minutes later, I walked passed and there at the front was Hotel California. Not forgotten, after all. Here's the full list http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/media/l...ularity-soars/

However, it looks like a rival supermarket has been selling vinyl, including HC for at least a year: http://thevinylfactory.com/news/tesc...trial-success/

I went to a friend's retirement party over the weekend. It was held at the "Fraternal Order of Eagles" building. One of the signatures on the "retirement" shirt was "Glenn" (yes, with 2 'n's).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm just back from the supermarket. There was a display of vinyl records - the first I've ever seen in that shop - and it was clearly aimed at late baby boomers. I saw Queen, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac (Rumours) but no Eagles. Twenty minutes later, I walked passed and there at the front was Hotel California. Not forgotten, after all. Here's the full list http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/media/l...ularity-soars/

However, it looks like a rival supermarket has been selling vinyl, including HC for at least a year: http://thevinylfactory.com/news/tesc...trial-success/
    Interesting! Even though Tesco got in first, I think Sainsburys have a better selection - even as a Gilmour fan I'm not sure how much long term demand there will be for an album like Rattle That Lock on vinyl, whereas the only recent album Sainsburys has is Adele 25, a massive hit. Sainsburys also seems to have more classic albums, such as Led Zeppelin I and IV (Tesco only offers L. Z. II) and Abbey Road by The Beatles as well as Sgt Pepper. It's interesting that both sell HC, as I noticed that Tesco stocks Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits, whereas Sainsburys has the Rumours album.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology", his retelling of the Norse god & goddess' stories in modern English, and it was great. I love reading about the various mythologies and especially Norse myth from being a fan of Marvel Comics and the "Thor" movies, and of course I was paying attention to how he wrote the the god Frey (sometimes spelled Freyr) and his twin sister the goddess Freya. Frey is depicted as a being a god pretty much everyone loves, especially those of us in Midguard/Earth as he controls the weather, the seasons, the harvest in the fall, and this part stood out as "he's responsible for giving the humans their peaceful days and nights".

Frey also got his own solo story about how even though he had all these possessions, the love of all the gods, humans, and creatures, he was still missing something in his life and that was love and a family of his own. It was the most romantic of the stories included as Frey finally met his wife Gerd. It was so nice to read, as most are very dark but also comical at times. And apparently one of their sons was supposedly the first king of Sweden.

Then Frey's twin sister Freya was awesome. She stood up for herself and couldn't stand Loki at all (and he's my favorite in the Thor movies LOL) and never fell for any of his tricks. It's nice seeing a strong woman depicted in this especially how these myths were written in ancient times. In Marvel Comics she's sometimes a villain, so it was nice seeing how she was originally written.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

This is very much a reminder by association. I was watching something on Roy Orbison and "Pretty Woman". Of course, Orbison opened for the Eagles on one of their tours. Then there was an interview with James Burton who played with Orbison and Elvis but also did studio work including an album for a duo called Longbranch Pennywhistle. Burton talks about Black& White Night and there's a clip of Burton playing with Orbison and Bruce Springsteen. Surely that's JD Souther with guitar and singing backup? Wait a minute, isn't that Jackson Browne? What a pity there weren't any Eagles present.
    Here's a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUCdKjyMbaY

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I'm about halfway through season 1 of "Iron Fist" and I still can't get over how much Finn Jones reminds me of young Don Henley. I mentioned it before but actually watching the episodes I see it even more, especially the stare. LOL
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I mentioned in the Movies thread that I had watched "War Dogs" recently and the opening song was Funk 49 by the James Gang and ending song was Everybody Knows only it was sung by Leonard Cohen.

Great movie and very eye opening!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...I was driving out of town for work the other day, through a rural area, and listening to the Eagles, as I always do when I drive long distance. The Last Resort was playing and there right in front of me was a big sign that said "JESUS IS COMING!" - right before the line in the song. I burst out laughing so hard I'm lucky I didn't veer off the road.

Out on the Border

I've launched in Brazil a podcast episode dedicated to Hotel Califonia. It's in portuguese and I missed the HC Felder's demo tape. Anyone knows if this tape is available in any form (youtube, soundcloud, etc?).