Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253545556 LastLast

Thread: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

I play the online game "Wordscapes" and occasionally the words "GLEN" (only one "N") & "EAGLE" come up.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a quick search and didn't see a thread for it, and I figured that this thread was the best place for it.

One of my professors sent me a Jethro Tull song called We Used to Know, and he asked me what it sounded like to me. I couldn't figure it out, and he said it's Hotel California. I can hear some similarities (which is why I placed it in this thread), but I don't know. So, I'm curious as to what y'all think.

-Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I have read where some (including Tull) have said Tull's song as the instrumental inspiration due to slight similarities and the fact that Eagles opened for him years before. But Felder wrote the music, and he wasn't with them then. Personally, I don't hear it, and think Tull was flattering himself. But, full disclosure: I never liked Jethro Tull at all. Weird.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with everything you said FF. I have never heard any similarity either.

Over the years, Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has hinted that there was plagiarism, but eventually backed away from that claim. Here is a link to a 2009 interview where Anderson acknowledges that it is nothing more than a similar chord progression. Scroll about halfway down to find the question about Hotel California ...

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/inter...of-jethro-tull

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

The similarity I noted was the opening of Tull's song- the first 30 seconds. I didn't hear it at first, but once my professor said Hotel California, my brain made a connection. I don't agree with my prof that it is Hotel California, though. Like Ian Anderson said in that interview Dreamer posted, it's hard to create truly 100% new music anymore.
    -Kim-

Of course you are right, Dreamer. The singer's name is Ian Anderson. I remember Glenn on the Dan Patrick show reflecting on Ian's antics..
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    The similarity I noted was the opening of Tull's song- the first 30 seconds. I didn't hear it at first, but once my professor said Hotel California, my brain made a connection. I don't agree with my prof that it is Hotel California, though. Like Ian Anderson said in that interview Dreamer posted, it's hard to create truly 100% new music anymore.
    Well Kim - Now, you have an opportunity to teach your professor something.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well Kim - Now, you have an opportunity to teach your professor something.
    , true. This professor loves to test my knowledge of all things from the 1970s because that's one of his areas in history. I'll find something else to test him on soon, lol.
    Also, this professor has more than once made direct references to the Eagles and Glenn in class before, as a means of keeping my attention and confusing other students, lol. (He's been with me from the start, and I'll be taking my 10th class with him in the spring.) For example, one time when discussing research and writing, he said something to the effect of "It's just like the Eagles. They rehearse songs several dozen times before preforming them. They don't just write them and become able to instantly play the songs perfectly. It takes practice and hard work to make it. The work ethic can be used in any situation. Write draft, edit it, write another one, edit it, and so on."
    -Kim-

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    , true. This professor loves to test my knowledge of all things from the 1970s because that's one of his areas in history. I'll find something else to test him on soon, lol.
    Also, this professor has more than once made direct references to the Eagles and Glenn in class before, as a means of keeping my attention and confusing other students, lol. (He's been with me from the start, and I'll be taking my 10th class with him in the spring.) For example, one time when discussing research and writing, he said something to the effect of "It's just like the Eagles. They rehearse songs several dozen times before preforming them. They don't just write them and become able to instantly play the songs perfectly. It takes practice and hard work to make it. The work ethic can be used in any situation. Write draft, edit it, write another one, edit it, and so on."
    I like your professor. Maybe I should figure our ways to work the Eagles and Glenn into my classes more!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I like your professor. Maybe I should figure our ways to work the Eagles and Glenn into my classes more!
    I obviously can't speak for all college students (especially as I'm a few years older than most ungrad students), but I'm sure a few will get the references. If not, well, there's a learning opportunity. Who knows, maybe some will Google what you're talking about and become fans.
    -Kim-