Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eagles songs that would be better if Randy sung them

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Eagles songs that would be better if Randy sung them

Anyone think there are such songs?

Glenn does a good job on "I Love to See a Woman Dance", but surely this song is made for Randy.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles songs that would be better if Randy sung them

The Disco Strangler would be interesting.

Overall, I'm not a fan of Randy as a lead vocalist . His voice adds an edge to harmonies but for lead I'd choose Frey, Leadon, Schmit or Henley over him. I prefer Randy when he's singing the rockers rather than the ballads like Tryin' and Take the Devil.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Yes, "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" suits Randy right down to the ground. I can also hear him singing "New Kid in Town" "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and Henley's almost lead in "Seven Bridges Road." I think he would do justice to "Lyin' Eyes" and possibly "Best of My Love."

"The Disco Strangler" is too nasty for Randy! He doesn't "do" contemptuous, though he can do nasty ("Bad Man").

P.S. I'm not saying that these songs would be *better* if the Randman sang them. Just good and interesting - he'd throw different colors on them.

Border Troubadour

I have to agree with where UtW was going, the best thing about Randy's vocal use in the Eagles (ditto TBS's) was his ability to harmonise with any combination of the others, but only occasional use as a lead. You couldn't have anyone bar Glenn sing New Kid in Town, anyone bar Henley on The Last Resort, or anyone bar Timothy on I Can't Tell You Why; they had a fantastic ability to pick the right person for the right lead. We could be here all day speculating if Glenn could have pulled off Desperado better than Henley, if Felder could have made a decent try of Victim of Love or Randy had sung My Man but at the end of the day there are very few Eagles songs I think they ever got the wrong vocalist for.

That said however, I have always wondered how well Joe would have pulled off Take It to the Limit instead of Glenn, he is surprisingly good at ballads (we've all cried to PMAIAR at some point, right?) and has a little bit of Randy's delicateness in his voice.

Interesting comments here.

Hasn't Joe sung Take it to the Limit live? I think there's a recent version with backing singers taking over (and IMHO doing a reasonable job).

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Interesting comments here.

Hasn't Joe sung Take it to the Limit live? I think there's a recent version with backing singers taking over (and IMHO doing a reasonable job).
    Never though to search that! He has, by the looks of it on his most recent tour. Watching the videos of it, he does a very good job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Never though to search that! He has, by the looks of it on his most recent tour. Watching the videos of it, he does a very good job of it.
    Didn't Joe say that Don H helped him improve his singing? All that harmonising with the Eagles may have had an effect. He sounds better than ever.

Returning to topic, I'm still trying to imagine Randy doing King of Hollywood. He could definitely do those 'he's calling' vocals.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I believe Joe said Glenn helped him to be a better singer.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Anyone think there are such songs?

Glenn does a good job on "I Love to See a Woman Dance", but surely this song is made for Randy.
    Why? The vocal has to be soft & warm. I'm afraid I have never heard Randy Mesner sing this way. I don't even consider Most Of Us Are Sad to be in this category. Apologies to his fans.

Apart from anything else why would you choose a song that was recorded decades after Randy left the band?

I know I am in a very small minority, but Glenn's vocal on ILTWAWD is one of my absoute favourites.

As for NMB's suggestion of New Kid In Town & Lyin' Eyes I make no comment. I would have thought something like Outlaw Man or even Witchy Woman would have been better. I associate Randy with uptempo songs, not ballads, for the most part.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-03-2016 at 08:23 PM.

I quite like thinking about hypothetical situations. What if Randy was onboard for LROOE?

It's all subjective - there is no right answer. But, I think that if Randy sang ILTSAWD with a similay voice to how he sings Most of us are Sad, I think it would sound excellent.

I'm not criticising Glenn's vocal, I'm just thinking about hypothetical possibilities. I think it's more interesting to consider songs from after Randy left. After all, for songs when he was in the band, he could have done them if the band thought he should have.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 06-03-2016 at 09:14 PM.