Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eagles songs that would be better if Randy sung them

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles songs that would be better if Randy sung them

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I quite like thinking about hypothetical situations. What if Randy was onboard for LROOE?

It's all subjective - there is no right answer. But, I think that if Randy sang ILTSAWD with a simple voice to, say, how he sings Most of us are Sad, I think it would sound excellent.
    And I say, I don't thnk his voice was right for it.

Why does it have to be one of Glenn's songs? Why not Busy Being Fabulous? It's more uptempo.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    And I say, I don't thnk his voice was right for it.

Why does it have to be one of Glenn's songs? Why not Busy Being Fabulous? It's more uptempo.
    This is an entirely subjective discussion, and there's nothing wrong with you thinking that his voice isn't right for that song. I've been surprised by the suggestions made by others in this thread, but in no way suggest that my opinions are any more valid or 'right' than anyone else's. It's interesting that we have different opinions.

Part of what made me think of this thread was seeing Randy doing TITTL live in 1977. The audience loves it. The rest of the band loves it (look at Glenn smiling near the end with the high notes - though i'm not sure of Don H's reaction, he looks more inscrutable.) I think it's a pity that it couldn't go on, and that they couldn't get together again.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Randy could well have done interesting versions of "I Can't Tell You Why," "In the City," "Heartache Tonight,"(that especially is fun to imagine) and "The Sad Cafe" off the 'Long Run' album. I also think that duets with Joe on "Life's Been Good" and "All Night Long" from the 'Eagles Live' album would have simply killed.

"Girl From Yesterday" and "Learn to Be Still" could have also provided interesting showcases for his vocal talents. Have not listened to the 'Long Road Out of Eden' album anywhere near enough to make any pronouncements there.

This is a fun topic to consider!
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have to agree with UtW and hesitated to even answer. I think the band chose wisely on all the songs they recorded.

I've heard Glenn's version of Desperado and Take It To the Limit and while he does an awesome job (the crowd goes wild for TITTL at concerts) I still prefer them done by the original singers. I'd never change any of them.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

None of them! Glenn and Don H. sang the bulk of the catalog and became the main voices of the band. The vocals are as ingrained in popular music and memory as the lyrics and melodies. Therefore, I can't imagine any substitutions of the lead singers. IMO, the songs just would not sound right.

Additionally, I wouldn't even consider a song after Meisner's departure in '77. Even as a hypothetical situation, I consider it an insult to Timothy and the rest of the band. Sorry, but I prefer to keep everything in context.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    None of them! Glenn and Don H. sang the bulk of the catalog and became the main voices of the band. The vocals are as ingrained in popular music and memory as the lyrics and melodies. Therefore, I can't imagine any substitutions of the lead singers. IMO, the songs just would not sound right.

Additionally, I wouldn't even consider a song after Meisner's departure in '77. Even as a hypothetical situation, I consider it an insult to Timothy and the rest of the band. Sorry, but I prefer to keep everything in context.
    I agree..

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post

Agreed, I wouldn't have wanted any of those songs not done the way there were but I believe the other guys should have got to sing more songs than they did. I think they are all great singers and while Don Henley or Glenn Frey are great vocalists, I think the other guys were amazing singers too and it would have been cool to hear more songs sang by the other guys.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Agreed, I wouldn't have wanted any of those songs not done the way there were but I believe the other guys should have got to sing more songs than they did. I think they are all great singers and while Don Henley or Glenn Frey are great vocalists, I think the other guys were amazing singers too and it would have been cool to hear more songs sang by the other guys.
    And I think Glenn Frey should have sung more songs than he did. For him to only sing one & a half songs on OOTN, one on HC & one & two halves of two songs on TLR, was ridiculous.

I'm afraid I can't agree with the 'they were all great singers and therefore they should all have sung the same number of songs' line. Most of the Eagles' best known songs were sung by Henley and Frey. There are reasons for that.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-06-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

The biggest problem I have with this thread is the title: "Eagles songs that would be better if Randy sung them". In that regard, I have to agree wholeheartedly with most of the comments here that the lead vocalist on most of the songs was the right choice. It's just that, with the exception of Take It to the Limit, only songs sung by Henley and Frey became hits. Actually, on the first four albums, it was not as lop-sided as you may think in terms of lead vocalists - Henley and Frey (approximately 60%) and Leadon, Meisner, and Felder (approximately 40%). As far as the last two 70's albums, it was definitely more uneven with Henley singing lead on approximately 60% of the songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

It's hard to imagine any Eagles songs not being sung by the originals. The only one I think should have been different is they should have let Felder sing Victim of Love.