Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Eagles or Solo Albums would you like to ALSO have an acoustic version of?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Which Eagles or Solo Albums would you like to ALSO have an acoustic version of?

Which Eagles or Solo albums would you like an acoustic version of? E.g. acoustic guitars, pianos, mandolins where appropriate, string bass, etc.

I'm not suggesting that these albums should be more acoustic, but that this hypothetical acoustic album would be in addition to the electric album so that you could listen to whichever one you chose to depending on your mood.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Which Eagles or Solo Albums would you like to ALSO have an acoustic version of?

I think perhaps the Hotel California album without all the strings would be something I would like - rather like Let It Be Naked where McCartney removed all Phil Spector's over the top production. So you wouldn't have Wasted Time (Reprise) played by strings - it would be played on an acoustic guitar.

Strange Weather is my favourite Glenn Frey album & an acoustic version of that might work, including the instrumental tracks (Agua Tranquillo aside, which is already acoustic). Magnificent though the soaring majesty of POMPOY is, imagine a stripped down intimate version. If such a thing existed, even demo tracks, I'd love that. Songs like He Took Advantage & I've Got Mine would have their hidden 'bluesy' aspect emphasised.

Default Re: Which Eagles or Solo Albums would you like to ALSO have an acoustic version of?

One of These Nights -- just to see how it would sound!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I think I'd agree with One Of These Nights. I think this is partly because I feel it is their most production heavy album and has fewer raw or hard rocking songs than their other records. I think Too Many Hands could actually sound really cool acoustic and it would have been really interesting to see what they would have done with the title track (maybe closer to Glenn's original piano version?). I think Hollywood Waltz and especially I Wish You Peace would benefit from having less production, I think I'd like the latter better without the strings in particular. Lyin' Eyes is already pretty near acoustic, and I'm sure Take It To The Limit and ATTIG would work just fine (although I'd miss Felder's somewhat bluesy lead work on the latter) and JOTS would also be cool. The only song I don't think would work well is Visions, but as I don't think it is an album highlight anyway I'm not worried.

By contrast, I wouldn't be especially interested in acoustic versions of the first three albums as I absolutely love the contrast between the acoustic and electric songs on those records. For example, Out Of Control would lose a lot of its impact without the electric guitars, while Chug All Night, Good Day In Hell, Outlaw Man etc. need their nasty rock 'n' roll edge which is difficult to replicate in acoustic format. Having said this, I think acoustic versions of Witchy Woman and Take The Devil would be interesting, same with Take It Easy although we already have an acoustic version of sorts from the 1973 Voorburg show. Of later songs, I would absolutely love an acoustic version of The Last Resort. Just think it would be interesting to hear a stripped down take.

Banned

I'd love to hear Glenn's acoustic version of Smuggler's Blues. We just got to hear a snatch of it during the Miami Vice episode but it sounded like he was really onto something

I've read, and agree, that a good song is a good song no matter what genre it is arranged into. Sometimes it's when the instruments are unplugged and the arrangements stripped down to basics that the songs themselves shine through.

Having different versions of the same songs is a real plus for me, and I wish more artists would release albums like Jackson Browne's Solo Acoustic albums.

I'd really like to hear the 'original' version of One of these Nights. I can sort of imagine it done just with piano.

TBH, I hate HC when played acoustically. The shining moment of that song are the rockin' electric guitar solo and fills throughout. To me you just lose that when going unplugged.

Truth be told, I'm an electric guitar guy who plays acoustic when required but I don't like it as well as a loud distorted guitar, gotta be honest.

That said to me there are a couple Eagles songs that lend themselves to be great unplugged. The first is PEF, which has an electric guitar solo. I absolutely loved the HFO second night version of that song and that's coming from a guy who doesn't like stripped down acoustic music. The second one is Desperado, with only guitar and backing vocals accompaniment. No piano, just guitar.

@WalshFan88 - Any 1980s solo albums with their DX7 electric piano sounds that you would like to have an all-guitar version of? Even if not all acoustic guitars?

@Funk 50 - what do you think of Jack Tempchin's rawer version of Smuggler's Blues?

Back to @WalshFan88 - You mention PEF. That's pretty much acoustic already. Speaking just my personal opinion, the songs I'd like to hear acoustic are the ones that have highly electric versions - E.g. OOTN. I'd like to hear them rearranged to be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    @WalshFan88 - Any 1980s solo albums with their DX7 electric piano sounds that you would like to have an all-guitar version of? Even if not all acoustic guitars?

The Boys Of Summer. Dirty Laundry is too electric guitar heavy to be acoustic and ASWTDID is too synth heavy for it to work.

Back to @WalshFan88 - You mention PEF. That's pretty much acoustic already. Speaking just my personal opinion, the songs I'd like to hear acoustic are the ones that have highly electric versions - E.g. OOTN. I'd like to hear them rearranged to be very different.

See I'm just the opposite. I want the heavily-electric stuff to stay that way and only go full acoustic on songs without heavy electric instrumentation to begin with that lend themselves to it. IMO songs like HC, OOTN, etc need electric guitars. It just isn't the same without them and their iconic rock guitar solos. Had I been to an HFO show and they still did the flamenco HC I would have been pissed. They got smart and started doing it electrically again right after that show. That's a rock guitar song, don't care what anyone says LOL. I put it right there with freakin' Eruption as far as being one of the most important moments in rock guitar. Best solo of all time AFAIC.
    See bolded parts above.

I'm a bit concerned about whether we are talking at cross-purposes. I'm saying acoustic in addition to electric. I don't want the songs to change, just for extra versions with different arrangements to be available.

HC would have to be quite different for an acoustic version to work, IMHO. Just playing the current arrangement on acoustic instruments wouldn't work at all. IMHO.