Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Eagles or Solo Albums would you like to ALSO have an acoustic version of?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Which Eagles or Solo Albums would you like to ALSO have an acoustic version of?

The idea that electric heavy songs should never EVER change got me thinking of the almighty Kashmir. I thought - no, I guess that can't be changed. Then I thought of the Page/Plant Unledded version with the Indian instruments. You may PREFER the original but at least they tried something different. I have also seen Robert Plant do Black Dog acoustically. Yes, the original is better, but I didn't put my hands over my ears & refuse to listen to it done this way.

Having said that I didn't like the rearranged version of Heartache Tonight on the last tour when Glenn played acoustic & Don did as well. It didn't work, so I should admit that.

On the other hand I loved what I call Swamp Smuggler's Blues, which many peopel disliked, and I loved the jazzy version of The Heat Is On, althought the novelty value had worn off by the time I saw it in Australia (Glenn should have just sung it without a guitar as he did on the American leg of the tour).
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-10-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Default Re: Which Eagles or Solo Albums would you like to ALSO have an acoustic version of?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about whether we are talking at cross-purposes. I'm saying acoustic in addition to electric. I don't want the songs to change, just for extra versions with different arrangements to be available.

HC would have to be quite different for an acoustic version to work, IMHO. Just playing the current arrangement on acoustic instruments wouldn't work at all. IMHO.
    I knew that's what you meant. I guess I just don't like or wouldn't have liked acoustic versions of electric heavy songs. In fact I'll never go to a band's "unplugged" concert...just not my thing. It ties right into my dislike for solo acoustic stuff mentioned in another thread regarding DF. I'm an electric guy who plays acoustic only when required. I don't get the thrill with it that I do with a electric turned up loud. It's a power thing. Literally!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    @Funk 50 - what do you think of Jack Tempchin's rawer version of Smuggler's Blues?
    Jacks a great writer but nothing exceptional as a performer. I'd much rather see a great performance of an average tune than great material, even performed adequately, so Glenn will always have an edge over Jack imo.

I enjoy listening to new versions of old songs, as long as I'm aware of the definitive version. There was a time when Eric Clapton's unplugged version of Layla was getting more air play than the Derek and The Dominos classic.

When Hell Freezes Over came out, probably because it was visual as well as audio, and it was the current release, that album, for a short time, became the home of the Eagles definitive hits. I always preferred the originals, even Help Me Through The Night and the very fine performance of The Heart Of The Matter.

The albums had the definitive versions and the definitive versions are what you'd see at an Eagles show. If anything was changed, it would be through necessity, it wouldn't be to make the performance more interesting for the performers. Maybe that's why they had such a long and illustrious live career.

I love experimentation but it's got to be backed up with a large chunk of focus. IE Joe Walsh - Turn To Stone recorded 3 times between 1972 and 1975. On his early vinyl albums, Joe would layer acoustic guitars, deep in the mix, to add power to his production.

Stuck on the Border

I had two threads going on in my minds. The first was what would Heartache Tonight be like as an accoustic number and the second was that JD Souther often performs stripped-down versions of songs he co-wrote for the Eagles.

So here's JD performing a jazzy accoustic version of Heartache Tonight. As a bonus, he talks about the writing of the song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMx-H-BOzg

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Jacks a great writer but nothing exceptional as a performer. I'd much rather see a great performance of an average tune than great material, even performed adequately, so Glenn will always have an edge over Jack imo.

I enjoy listening to new versions of old songs, as long as I'm aware of the definitive version. There was a time when Eric Clapton's unplugged version of Layla was getting more air play than the Derek and The Dominos classic.

When Hell Freezes Over came out, probably because it was visual as well as audio, and it was the current release, that album, for a short time, became the home of the Eagles definitive hits. I always preferred the originals, even Help Me Through The Night and the very fine performance of The Heart Of The Matter.

The albums had the definitive versions and the definitive versions are what you'd see at an Eagles show. If anything was changed, it would be through necessity, it wouldn't be to make the performance more interesting for the performers. Maybe that's why they had such a long and illustrious live career.

I love experimentation but it's got to be backed up with a large chunk of focus. IE Joe Walsh - Turn To Stone recorded 3 times between 1972 and 1975. On his early vinyl albums, Joe would layer acoustic guitars, deep in the mix, to add power to his production.
    There was absolutely no need for Heartache Tonight to be changed, in my view.

I also don't agree that HFO contained the band's 'definitive hits' given the relative paucity of material sung by Glenn.

I actually now prefer the acoustic version of Layla to the electric version.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    See bolded parts above.
    One of the Eagles tribute acts I saw in England years ago performed Boys of Summer as an acoustic until the start of the second verse when they began to play it in the style of the original; it was a very basic one chord per line with no vocal distinction between the verses and chorus. It worked exceptionally well and was one of the highlights of the show.