Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

I noticed in Today In Eagles History that Glenn's Solo Collection was released 15 years ago today. Now, I know this was a compilation album, but it did include four awesome new songs that I wanted to pay homage to. So ...

This Way To Happiness
    Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed
    Common Ground
    Call On Me

I love you all and wanted to give you the special mention that I think you deserve. You all ROCK!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Happy Anniversary to the "Solo Collection"

..you are right...they were "4 awesome songs"...especially liked "Common Ground"....would be wonderful to hear it live.........

The vocal on "This Way to Happiness" is one of his best. He really belts it out. Listen here:

http://vodpod.com/watch/1437232-glen...-myspace-video

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

It's peculiar that out of those four songs the only one he's played live is WBSIMB, which he didn't write .... it's the least effective of the four songs, although he probably thinks it's more 'fun'.

My personal favourite of these is Call On Me. It rocks. I love the way he sings it.

I love the four new songs from this album, especially This Way To Happiness and Common Ground, I like the two other songs also but This Way To Happiness and Common Ground are are somehow special to me, however I can not even say why!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

I love WBSIMB. I do think that it is such a fun song. I think the others are very stong songs, love them too!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I was trying to decide which order I would rank these songs and I really found it to be very difficult. I love them all so the best that I can do is ...

1. This Way To Happiness and Common Ground (tie) - both songs are incredible. The vocals on both are simply amazing, as well as, having great lyrics, melodies, and music. Both songs are so uplifting, but in very different ways.

2. Call On Me

3. Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed - comes in at the bottom only because Glenn didn't write it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I was listening to Common Ground yesterday and it is a very uplifting song, a bit like Soul Searchin' with 'crossing the river' imagery instead of 'boarding the train' imagery. I like the end where he sings 'New York City... out in San Diego... yeah yeah yeah'!

As far as TWTH goes my favourite part is the 'I've rolled this rig from coast to coast' part because it seems there is a great deal of personal experience somewhere in there. I like how the theme develops from the 'on some endless road just south of nowhere' part to the big neon sign. It's a real journey of self discovery. Note that in this song he does return to the 'train' imagery.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Yeah I love all those songs as well. They really are excellent quality, and IMHO there is very little separating them. However I beg to differ and would nominate WBSIMB as my favourite. I think Glenn sounds spectacular on it, regardless of who wrote it. I would really love to see him do it live.

After that I would go for TWTH. It is just such a cheerful upbeat song. You can indeed hear the Angels call.

Then there isn't really anything separating 'Call on Me' or Common Ground' I love the two of them.

In a way its a pity these 4 songs weren't released as new material on an entirely new album. I mean 6 more songs with them would have made another 'stand alone' album rather than just including them in a compilation where they have been somewhat lost. I'm sure Glenn would not have been short of material. Still I suppose he is the pro and he knew what he was doing.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

The problem with that is that Glenn was back with the Eagles when this was released. It was a contractual obligation album. I'm just grateful that he did record these songs. I think what he should have done was record After Hours and Just South Of Sunset. He could have changed the title of JSOS. The melody is very promising.