Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder's look then and now

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Don Felder's look then and now

Oh my! Imagine Felder on a kids' show, what a hoot. Maybe it's on YouTube.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That's basically it I think.

Speaking as a shy person myself, I smile when I do talk to let people know I'm not an @sshole because otherwise I'm pretty distant and reserved and definitely not good at small talk or conversation. I keep my in-person interactions with people I don't know short and sweet and that's how I like it. Just the facts and answer questions, say goodbye, and then run off to a secluded place. You gotta work to get to know me. I'm an introverted person also, I just prefer to be secluded (although it DOES wear on you after awhile). I'm not a partygoer (which is probably why I love uptempo party songs to live out that life through them lol).

I'm completely the opposite online. Outspoken, confident, chatty, etc. But in person I'm a different animal. I think part of it is the fact I don't have to do it face to face and I can show more of my personality without the social anxiousness of in-person interactions. People make me nervous, lol. I just prefer to only interact with those I know, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and I smile to lessen my tension and thereby make others feel more comfortable as well.
    Austin, I can relate to how you feel - that sounds quite a lot like me.

I think sometimes smiling when you don't really feel that happy can be a mechanism for avoiding further awkwardness, a sort of easy way out if you like! I have no idea if that's why Felder does it, although I'd say he comes across as less extroverted compared to other lead guitarists. It's difficult to tell from musicians' public personas though, Randy (seemingly very shy and reserved) and Joe (seemingly much more extroverted and jokey) come across as a very different types of people but I remember reading about how both Joe and Randy got nervous about performing on stage, the difference was really was in their coping mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I'm that way too, Austin. Being an only child, I was very very shy. To truth about it. I really wasn't shy in school to think about it, but I also didn't have friends. When I got older I became shy and very nervous around people I don't know. I don't like talking to people I don't know. I'm usually quiet when I'm in a group. I'm not a huger. So I don't like a complete stranger or even somebody I know to come up to me and hug me.

I open up more when I'm around people I know and comfortable around.

I think Don got more comfortable over the years and it was probably Kathrin that helped him a little.
    I'm an only child as well. Spent most of my childhood in and out of hospitals. Then in school was bullied constantly and it caused PTSD and severe social phobia/anxiety and it basically ruined my social life for good.

Great point on his clothes..he def dresses sharp and rock and roll these days.

Eagle in the 90s with their wanna be grunge shirts looked horrible on all of them

Border Desperado

They had a female designer that did that look..shirt over tee shirt. I thought, does someone really need to design that? I wasn't into that look either!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I don't know, Timothy looked pretty legit grunge with the plaid, goatee and long hair...he could have walked straight out of Soundgarden or Alice in Chains or Stone Temple Pilots. He looked like Matt Dillon in Singles. I'll take it.

I wonder if it was an attempt to look sort of country for Common Thread without going full country.

Stuck on the Border

They were probably trying to look like their audience.

Stuck on the Border

I was bored to tears by the shirt over T shirt look at the end, but I'd have it back in an instant if I could.

Felder on the other hand - I don't agree that he looks 'rock & roll' at all. Those ghastly tailored waistcoats (which Americans call vests).

I always wonder why whenever he does a show, there are so many photos.

I accidently reported a post when I ment to post a reply pps:

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I always wonder why whenever he does a show, there are so many photos.
    Because he has no camera restrictions? He needs whatever publicity he can get, so I don't see the probem.

What I object to is when people attribute his current good appearance to "karma" or him being a good/nice/righteous man. While he clearly takes good care of himself, health, genetics and possibly a little help from a good surgeon play their part.

In another thread, someone mentioned that Iggy Pop was only a year older than Glenn and he's just 4 months older than Don Felder. Robert Plant is 11 months younger than Don Felder. Clearly, Don is looking a lot better than either of those.