Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone noticed this?

Default Anyone noticed this?

So I was rereading Felder's book and found some deja vu moments.

1. Don's childhood was the roughest out of the rest of the Eagles. He was forced to compete with his brother who he initially got along with but as they got older his Father made it clear his brother was the favorite child as he was better in School, with Girls etc. But Felder on the other hand was a poor student who was stricken with polio and was viewed as a disappointment to his father. So when Gerry Felder went off to college and got married Don completely fell out of favor with his father and ran away from home not speaking to his father for 6 years.

1. When Don first joined the Eagles he got along fine with everyone including Glenn who was the one that made him a partner in Eagles LTD. But when they got even more famous Glenn and Don started writing more and more and earned the most money because of it and Felder started resenting that and in 1994 wanted things to be the same as the were when he first joined the band as he did not want to be inferior to Glenn and Henley and as a result was fired. He is still estranged from the rest of the Eagles.

Anyone see the connection? I think part of the reason Felder wanted to know how much money everyone was making stems from that competitive streak from his childhood with his brother. I think the other Eagles did not understand this because from what we know Glenn and Henley also grew up poor but always had a loving family that encouraged the musical ambitions.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone noticed this?

I hadn't thought of it before in that context - it makes sense that his rather deprived (and sickly) childhood would make him particularly concerned about money and survival.

I remember when I read the book, I was a bit startled at the very poor, very rural background that Felder came from. I had seen him interviewed on tv (on a business/money cable channel) and he seemed the epitome of a prosperous golfing, yacht-owning Southern California man with no trace of a Southern accent. It's kind of like when you learn Bryan Ferry is a coal miner's son, you're like, "Whaat?!"

Stuck on the Border

My take is similar to yours. When reading the book, I felt there was a strong correlation between how Felder felt about the band and what had happened in his childhood and I think I've mentioned it a few times in the book thread.

Glenn put the issues up the right way. "It festered because we did not talk about these things" I think it could have been worked put if the did talk.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I had no idea about Felder's childhood too but that does make a lot of sense. Maybe it's the writer in me and having a fascination with psychology but this makes so much sense as things that happen in your childhood you carry for the rest of your life and you have to really work at it to not let it affect you as an adult or your relationships with other people as not everyone goes through the same situations. I agree if they talked more and opened up it would've helped.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Bernie could have helped with the discussion. Because he and Felder were friends since they were in High School

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Bernie could have helped with the discussion. Because he and Felder were friends since they were in High School
    Helped with what discussions?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Helped with what discussions?
    If I understood correctly, the idea is that they should have discussed Felder's past issues so that Glenn and Don H had understood where he was coming from. But I don't know how much Bernie knew about Felder's family issues - or how much he had seen that stuff himself.

Border Desperado

Well, Bernie had quit the band before this rift hit the fan. My thiughts are that is wasn't as much about the money( cause they all were doing well), but it was more the respect and integrity. Which could reflect back to his childhood when his father didn't respect the kid he was but thought the only way to be a decent man was to be the great student, clean cut guy, athlete that his brother was. Little did he know what success lay ahead for Felder.

You know if you have a five way equal partnership in a legal contract and then it becomes a 4way equal partnership when Bernie leaves and then 3 way when Randy leaves, and then when they reunite, that contract is ignored and he's just a hired guitarist... It doesn't lend itself to feeling respect or honest from those you work with.

If only they had been open and able to work that out.

Anyone who hasn't read Felters book should go get a copy.

One thing no one talks about is Irving Azoff. I do blame him for causing so much unnecessary tension in the band to benefit himself. Axl Rose claimed that Azoff tried to delay and sink the Chinese Democracy Album in order to have Slash and him reunite at the time. I am part of a few online forums for the band and have seen these documents. Axl was telling the truth. So in a way I do believe Irving did this with the Eagles as well. I have a hunch that Irving "pressured" Glenn and Don to get rid of Felder because when Felder kept asking for the financial documents he supposedly had a right to see he would have discovered something that would have exposed Irving and what ever his intentions were and perhaps maybe Glenn and Don their reasons which clearly were expressed and I believe them but I think Irving was scared by Felder. He seems like an untrustworthy guy in Felder's book more so then Glenn and Don. There were many times in the book were I was like it Felder just stop going to Irving and Talk with Don and Glenn.
    If anyone is interesting in learning more about the Azoff-Axl lawsuit pm me.
    Last edited by travlnman2; 06-19-2016 at 09:57 AM.