Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don's upcoming setlist

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don's upcoming setlist

I don't see why he would play songs from LROOE which he never even played with the band.

DD, the idea of IYWN is interesting but it probably should be left alone. I think Don should sing a tribute he wrote himself.

I read the lyrics of Nemesis & concur with JCL about it. I fail to see how it is relevant to this stiuation except for the 'memory you can't get out of your head' line. Perhaps others should read it & you will see what we mean.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/davidgray/nemesis.html

JCL, he did I'm the Fool once. If he did any other MK songs I'm not aware of them.

I hope everyone enjoys the shows.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I'm really looking forward to finding out what songs he will do too, especially the two he's never done live. I too think he'll do a tribute for Glenn and I have a feeling it'll be "Desperado", but I'm going to cry during it no matter if he does or not since I get emotional hearing it now. But I'm just excited no matter what since it'll be my first Don show.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Another song I would love to see Don perform is
    "Learn To Be Still". I think it's a great song and very under-rated.
    I'm not sure if I want to know the setlist beforehand or for it to come as a
    surprise when I go to Manchester.
    As others have said I hope he does a tribute to Glenn- maybe
    "No More Cloudy Days" or "The Girl From Yesterday".

Banned

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Nemesis. For better or worse, Henley has never and will never be able to shake Glenn, even if he wanted to.

I trust Don to come up with something fitting. I don't see Glenn as a Desperado, something they simply wrote together seems just a little too obvious and ambiguous for such a special tribute imho.

When Don mentioned something special for his Irish show, I immediately thought of Paddy Moloney and Lilah. Paddy and the late, great, Derek Bell, played on La Lile and Lilah from Don's first I Can't Stand Still album.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Philh, I have the same dilemma as you in that part of me wants to be surprised but on the flip side I'm excited to find out what he'll be playing. I'd still be very excited to find out he was unexpectedly playing a big personal favourite a few days before hand, although it would be an even bigger and more thrilling surprise on the night itself. I think I probably will check out the setlist beforehand though - I'm going with my Dad and therefore it's probably advantageous for me to know what he's playing beforehand - my Dad knows his hits, the EOTI album and a few CC songs, but isn't likely to be familiar with all the songs and it would be helpful for me to know what's coming.

I too would love it if he played Learn To Be Still, a song that has become a huge favourite with my whole family. Another one I'd love would be The Long Run, I certainly wouldn't mind it if he dedicated it to Glenn, as it would acknowledge Glenn's love of rhythm & blues and how although their relationship may have been bent at some point, it was never broken and they still came through. There are probably better candidates for a dedication than from Don's catalogue with and without the Eagles, but I feel this would be in the right spirit, as would Desperado, another song I'd absolutely love to hear him do live as I never got to experience it with the Eagles.

tlr, I agree with you about the song you take your username from! I think I'd almost die of excitement to hear those opening chords live. I also agree with you about No Thank You and Praying For The Rain, which are both in my top five from the album. Having said this, I can sympathise with L101's view about the latter song. I like the song better than you, but I agree the theme isn't so easy relate to in the notoriously damp west coast maritime climate of Northern Europe than in hot dry Texas!

FP, thanks for the info about I'm The Fool. I'm not expecting him to play any of Mark's music, although if he does choose to I can personally guarantee one very happy concertgoer!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Nemesis. For better or worse, Henley has never and will never be able to shake Glenn, even if he wanted to.

I trust Don to come up with something fitting. I don't see Glenn as a Desperado, something they simply wrote together seems just a little too obvious and ambiguous for such a special tribute imho.

When Don mentioned something special for his Irish show, I immediately thought of Paddy Moloney and Lilah. Paddy and the late, great, Derek Bell, played on La Lile and Lilah from Don's first I Can't Stand Still album.
    I am struggling to understand what you mean by this.

I believe that Don Henley made it very clear in the statement he released in January that Glenn Frey changed his life & he was a better person for it. They had their highs & lows, but who didn't? Who doesn't?

I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life.

That seems pretty clear to me. I apologise for going off topic but I felt this needed to be emphasised.

Also, how would a song they wrote together be both 'obvious' and 'ambiguous'?

Out on the Border

I sure hope Don sings The Last Resort. That would be such a treat as it is my favorite Eagles song!

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by eagles557 View Post
    I sure hope Don sings The Last Resort. That would be such a treat as it is my favorite Eagles song!
    Not my favorite but probably in my top 3. An absolutely awesome song, and I would fall over in happiness if Don sang it. I would also love to hear "Waiting in the Weeds". I did hear it once on the LROOE tour, but it was the first time I had heard the song. I fell in love with it then, and would love to hear it again now that I know it better.

I was thinking that Don could possibly do "The Sad Cafe" as a tribute to Glenn. It speaks of their roots together, and is so sad and sweet to begin with ...

Quote Originally Posted by Philh View Post
    Another song I would love to see Don perform is
    "Learn To Be Still". I think it's a great song and very under-rated.
    Agree, Phil. It's my all-time favorite Eagles' song.

Would also love to hear "Come Rain Or Come Shine." Don sang it for the MTV "Unplugged" series and at his wedding for his beautiful bride, but I don't know if he has ever performed it on tour.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

The setlist from last night is on L&M's Fastlane website with photos.
    So pleased it includes The Last Resort!