Thread: I'd like a book from Bernie

Stuck on the Border

Default I'd like a book from Bernie

With Joe talking about publishing a book next year, I realised that I'd reall like one from Bernie. Here's why

1) In interviews he comes across as grounded, honest, plain-speaking but also with a good perspective and no obvious grudges. In the documentary he says something about how young they were and how they all did the best they could. He took a different path and seems to have few regrets.

2) In the Eagles story, I find the early years most exciting. It's a "rags-to-riches" story of a bunch of young men finding success. And Bernie knew when it was the right time for him to move on. It's also the part that isn't covered in Felder's book.

3) Bernie's non-Eagles history has to be fascinating. How many people grow up in a family with 10 children? What was it like to have a "rocket scientist" for a father? His years hanging around bluegrass players and with the early country rock bands. His move to Nashville, work as a studio musician and producer etc.

4) And back to the Eagles for a final tour after a 38-year break. I know there must be a non-disclosure agreement but I assume there's scope for writing something and having it approved.

ETA

5) How could I forget about the Patti Davis part? Imagine meeting a girl in a record store, falling in love and then finding out her parents are Ronald and Nancy Reagan.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 06-23-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: I'd like a book from Bernie

I completely agree. I would love to read a book by Bernie.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

UtW, I agree with pretty much all of your points. Bernie is one cool guy and I'd love to read his version of the story, especially as I feel he is fair minded and doesn't seem to have any axes to grind - I personally would rather read a fond recollection in the vein of Nick Mason's Pink Floyd book than a tell-all, although I fully understand why other people would prefer the latter. I would also be interested to hear how he felt his time in the Eagles differed from his days in the Flying Burrito Brothers and his earlier work.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree as well. I love reading memoirs in general especially if they're my favorite musicians, actors, writers, etc.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    UtW, I agree with pretty much all of your points. Bernie is one cool guy and I'd love to read his version of the story, especially as I feel he is fair minded and doesn't seem to have any axes to grind - I personally would rather read a fond recollection in the vein of Nick Mason's Pink Floyd book than a tell-all, although I fully understand why other people would prefer the latter. I would also be interested to hear how he felt his time in the Eagles differed from his days in the Flying Burrito Brothers and his earlier work.
    I too would love to read Bernie's story and also prefer the "fond recollection" approach. This is one reason I enjoyed Joe Vitale's autobiography so much. He was in the trenches with all the guys and no doubt could have dished enough dirt to fill the Grand Canyon. Instead he took the high road.

And now I'm trying to remember if there's anything about Bernie in Joe's book ... guess it's time to re-read it!

Banned

I enjoyed Vitale's book too but given the choice, I'd prefer to listen to his music. I love all 3 of his albums. I probably feel the same about Bernie.I'd love a new Bernie Leadon album, particularly if he roped his Eagle chums into the act.

I'm not sure a Bernie Leadon book would be "fond recollections".
    Bernie hasn't spent a prolonged period with any of this bands. I'd imagine that there would be much decension to kick up.

It would be interesting to consider if it was him or them.