Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unknown (song)facts

Default Re: Unknown (song)facts

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I hope I'm not putting you on the spot, but... are you Bill Szymczyk?
    no

Banned

All I know about Last Good Time In Town is that Joe wrote the verses and JD Souther wrote the chorus. Joe does play the trombone for fun although I'm not sure if it's him on the recording. It does sound, less than accomplished.

Henley recently listed it as one of Long Road Out Of Eden's "songs of foreboding and farewell: "No More Walks in the Wood," "I Don't Want to Hear Any More," "You Are Not Alone," "Long Road Out of Eden," "Last Good Time in Town," "Center of the Universe," and the eerily prescient "It's Your World Now," Glenn's beautiful philosophical valediction to his wife and kids. It's almost as if we knew that record would be our last."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz4CUKZXp68

I don't know much about Learn To Be Still either. It was co-written with his now, major co-writer Stan Lynch. It was the last song to be completed for Hell Freezes Over. I think Henley said, "it's so new it's still wet" during the recording of the concert... and he forgot the words, big time, of course which apparently lightened a quite tense atmosphere.

Learn To Be Still was the least performed of the 4 new Hell Freezes Over songs. Anyone who saw that and the Get Over It mantra in concert, experienced a real rarity.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 06-24-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    All I know about Last Good Time In Town is that Joe wrote the verses and JD Souther wrote the chorus. Joe does play the trombone for fun although I'm not sure if it's him on the recording. It does sound, less than accomplished.

Henley recently listed it as one of Long Road Out Of Eden's "songs of foreboding and farewell: "No More Walks in the Wood," "I Don't Want to Hear Any More," "You Are Not Alone," "Long Road Out of Eden," "Last Good Time in Town," "Center of the Universe," and the eerily prescient "It's Your World Now," Glenn's beautiful philosophical valediction to his wife and kids. It's almost as if we knew that record would be our last."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz4CUKZXp68

I don't know much about Learn To Be Still either. It was co-written with his now, major co-writer Stan Lynch. It was the last song to be completed for Hell Freezes Over. I think Henley said, "it's so new it's still wet" during the recording of the concert... and he forgot the words, big time, of course which apparently lightened a quite tense atmosphere.

Learn To Be Still was the least performed of the 4 new Hell Freezes Over songs. Anyone who saw that and the Get Over It mantra in concert, experienced a real rarity.
    I was not aware that LTBS was ever performed on tour.

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Wow, thank you Funk50! See? I’ve learned some new stuff today!

And I’ve already come up with something new I should probably know but don't… Does anyone know where Bernie’s got the bird sounds from off Earlybird?

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I was not aware that LTBS was ever performed on tour.
    I've found a video of it. It's worth the watch but it's so laggy you have to send your computer for repair afterwards => http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kxt3k

Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    no
    Lol Are you sure?
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Banned

The MTV TV show preceded the Hell Freezes Over tour which was almost exclusively Stadiums over a couple of years.

The set list for Irvine California, 29 May 1994 (Opening Show Of The Tour I believe);

01 Hotel California
    02 Victim Of Love
    03 New Kid In Town
    04 Wasted Time
    05 Pretty Maids All In A Row
    06 The Girl From Yesterday
    07 I Can't Tell You Why
    08 New York Minute
    09 Ordinary Average Guy
    10 Lying Eyes
    11 One Of These Nights
    (Break)
    12 Tequila Sunrise
    13 Help Me Through The Night
    14 The Heart Of The Matter
    15 Love Will Keep Us Alive
    16 Learn To Be Still
    17 You Belong To The City
    18 The Boys Of Summer
    19 Funk #49
    20 Dirty Laundry
    21 Smugglers Blues
    22 Life's Been Good
    23 All She Wants To Do Is Dance
    24 Heartache Tonight
    25 Life In The Fast Lane
    (Encores)
    26 Get Over It
    27 Amazing Grace / Rocky Mountain Way
    28 Already Gone
    29 Desperado
    30 Take It Easy (not on the bootleg cd but I'm pretty sure they did it)

Quote Originally Posted by The Silk Scarf Monkey
    Does anyone know where Bernie’s got the bird sounds from off Earlybird?
    Henley addressed this in his recent Rolling Stone magazine interview http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz4CjHMaRxm

Trivia question: What are those whistle-y sounds on "Earlybird"?
    DH - Those are the sounds of actual birds chirping. They were taken from a sound-effects library. I thought – and still think – it was corny, but it wasn't my song. Adding the chirping sounds was the decision of both the song's author and our producer. Forty-four years later, it really doesn't matter, does it?

According to either Randy or Bernie, I can't remember which, Randy bought the bird whistle at a shop in London. I'm not sure if it inspired the song but they put it on the record.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by The Silk Scarf Monkey View Post
    I've found a video of it. It's worth the watch but it's so laggy you have to send your computer for repair afterwards => http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kxt3k
    Thanks for the LTBS link. That's a pretty song..definitely signature Don! I was trying to listen to Help Me Through the Night which I love, particular the old version of Joe with Don, Glenn, and Felder before he was even an Eagle. I couldn't get it to play, though.

Hey, there is a DVD of HFO right? Is it worth the few. A lot of those songs were on that link you posted.

Border Desperado

https://g.co/kgs/ZtzP3D

Are u guys familiar with this? Random Victims, Part 3. It's pretty cool, and I listened a couple of times to try to identify who's speaking/singing.

Any insights?

Out on the Border

Thanks Funk50, whenever I put on this song I used to imagine Bernie singing next to a bird cage until this moment… with the birds having their own lil mic in front of them.

Glad I could help, Eagles7. I even thought it was Don Henley by himself before I found out it was with the Eagles. But then I found out it was written by both Don and Stan Lynch… That explains a lot.