Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite quotes from all members

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Default Favorite quotes from all members

My second thread and I’m hoping I’m not just reposting stuff that has been done 10 times before. I’ll start off with some nice sayings I know from Glenn, like “People don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time” and "I'm from Detroit - where mother is half a word". Then there’s Joe. “I can't complain, but sometimes I still do” comes to mind from Life’s Been Good, which could have been a quote by itself, but I would choose “If you just act like you know what you're doing, everybody thinks that you do”. It’s once again from a song but it’s so typical Joe. I also like the one in my signature, but I would rather call that random nonsense. I think you can tell now who’s my favorite Eagle… Yep, that’s right… Don Henley! But Joe comes second. Anyway, the line in Don’s My Thanksgiving sounds like a good one as well: “Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge”. But that’s pretty much it. I don’t even know for sure if anybody can come up with memorable Randy and Bernie quotes… I hope so!

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Favorite quotes from all members

I've no idea if he's ever said it prolifically, but I enjoyed Joe's 'If I'd known I'd have to play this the rest of my life I would have written something else' before RMW at his Crossroads 2004 appearance.

Henley had a blinding quote about life in the Billy Joel interview he did recently, but for the life of me I can't remember what he said.

Border Desperado

From their musical quotes, I've always loved " you can see the stars and still not see the light, " and "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key." From Already Gone

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That "probably can't find a Bernie or Randy quote" sounded a bit like a challenge so here we go.

I like this pithy Randy quote for its honesty - he was talking to an Associated Press reporter about the disappointing sales of his first solo album, which caused him to be unceremoniously dropped by his label:
    "I probably had a lot of fans, but not as many as I probably needed."
    Source: The Eagle Who Flew the Nest, 12/5/1980

Just kind of sums it up, doesn't he? No beating about the bush.

Here is Bernie in a letter to music industry pundit Bob Lefsetz, January 2016:

One thing I learned over the years about a songwriter expressing very personal feelings, is that it turns out that since all humans feel essentially the same feelings, but that most folks don't know how to express them, that when a songwriter talks about something very personal, it turns out to have universal appeal, because everyone can say "yeah! That's how I feel! He understands me like no one else!" So in a very counterintuitive way, it’s not the large general statement which has universal appeal, but rather the most intimate and personal which does.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That "probably can't find a Bernie or Randy quote" sounded a bit like a challenge so here we go.

I like this pithy Randy quote for its honesty - he was talking to an Associated Press reporter about the disappointing sales of his first solo album, which caused him to be unceremoniously dropped by his label:
    "I probably had a lot of fans, but not as many as I probably needed."
    Source: The Eagle Who Flew the Nest, 12/5/1980

Just kind of sums it up, doesn't he? No beating about the bush.

Here is Bernie in a letter to music industry pundit Bob Lefsetz, January 2016:

One thing I learned over the years about a songwriter expressing very personal feelings, is that it turns out that since all humans feel essentially the same feelings, but that most folks don't know how to express them, that when a songwriter talks about something very personal, it turns out to have universal appeal, because everyone can say "yeah! That's how I feel! He understands me like no one else!" So in a very counterintuitive way, it’s not the large general statement which has universal appeal, but rather the most intimate and personal which does.
    NMB, your quote from Bernie echoes the same sentiment about the personal nature of writing lyrics, which is expressed by Timothy B. Schmit in this quote, "When you're songwriting, it's like talking about your own life experience."

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Banned

One of my favourite quotes was actually a conversation as they were waiting around in a lobby somewhere.

Glenn - (reading a magazine article) "Hey Joe, it says here that humans only ever use about 75% of their total brain capacity"

Joe - "Wow! so what do they do with the other 3rd?"

or something like that..

My favourite quote from Don is about Irving.
    Don once said "He may be Satan but at least he's our Satan".

I love listening to Don's interviews as he is very eloquent and always is
    very interesting.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That Joe, what a joker. I loved his quip - jotted down by a Rolling Stone scribe when the Eagles were on tour, "Toronto's my lucky city. I met a girl there once that I didn't get the clap from."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz4CVFyazPu

Stuck on the Border

I love
    Besides, we can't be roguish underdogs anymore." Frey grins and flips a cigarette into his mouth. "We have to be gracious winners."

Border Troubadour

Don of course, "I'm not the man I was and I'm not the man I'm going to be."

....and again, "the hole is just as important as the donut!"

LOVE HIM!!!!

....and my favourite lyrics, "there's three sides to every story, babe: there's yours and there's mine and the cold hard truth".

I also like Bernie's quip from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, "I always wanted to be indicted", and you can hear Glenn shouting, "inducted!!!"
    Save
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...