Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The UK and EU exit

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default The UK and EU exit

Voted in the UK EU membership referendum today. Fingers crossed for a sensible result.

Border Troubadour

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Voted in the UK EU membership referendum today. Fingers crossed for a sensible result.
    I don't know how you voted, AT but I think the result is far from sensible!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

I agree DD. It nows seems like a world where Donald Trump and Boris Johnson could be meeting as US President and UK Prime Minister and that scares me.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

What happened in the UK is all over my various social media feeds and on the news. I never thought it would happen and it just seems like it keeps getting worse with what's going on now that they left the EU. I've even heard now it's likely Scotland and Northern Ireland will try to leave the UK, and Northern Ireland might rejoin Ireland. It's just crazy and I feel so bad for my UK friends and worried even more about our elections in November.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I dont tend to get political here but after over 800 years I can't see a NI, ROI reunification being that easy - not impossible but IMHO highly unlikely
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    I don't know how you voted, AT but I think the result is far from sensible!
    Fully agreed.

Can I say that even as someone in my 50s, I very much agree with this Financial Times comment that has gone viral. Particularly the bit about facts being ineffectual against myths in our society.

Stuck on the Border

My husband is British & would have voted 'leave' because he finds the oppressive bureacracy of Brussels & unlected fat cats dictating to sovereign nations too much. But then he hates all politiicans, both sides. I think they should have remained but there is a core of Britain which has always disdained Europe & refused to accept that the country was ever part of it. That is the core which won the argument.

Stuck on the Border

Default The UK and EU exit

This has come up in the "What's happening in your life" thread but if anythin should come under "Wonder at the Powers That Be", it should be this.

My sister in Canada forwarded an email she received from her financial advisor and it was clear he didn't understand the issues behind the decision. He thought it was about trade surpluses/deficits and refugees. So I thought it might help some of us to vent and to try to understand what's going on.

One thing to remember is that most of us from the UK who post here are likely to be in the demographics who voted to remain in the European Union.

Starting with a reposting AT...

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Fully agreed.

Can I say that even as someone in my 50s, I very much agree with this Financial Times comment that has gone viral. Particularly the bit about facts being ineffectual against myths in our society.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The UK and EU exit

I live in one of the few areas in England where the majority voted to remain in the EU. It's not really surprising, because it's an affluent university town with a large tourism industry. For this vote, there appear to have been two clear predictors of how people would vote - age and education. The older the voter, the more likely they were to vote to leave and graduates were more likely to vote to remain.

The emotive subject of immigration is not about refugees. Under the EU, people within the EU are able to work and live in any other country within the EU. This has lead to a large number of immigrant workers from the former eastern-bloc coming to the UK. While I'm not against this, I can see why many people would feel threatened.

Default Re: The UK and EU exit

Here we had a majority for remain too.

In terms of understanding why people voted to leave, I think we have to consider that many people on both sides don't understand the issues. E.g. the immigration that many people are most upset about is not immigration from EU countries, but immigration from further afield. Some people, I have spoken to them, believe that now that we've voted to leave the EU, that these other immigrants will then 'go home' as well. There is also, it seems, considerable misunderstanding of other issues as well.