Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The UK and EU exit

Border Troubadour

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Fully agreed.

Can I say that even as someone in my 50s, I very much agree with this Financial Times comment that has gone viral. Particularly the bit about facts being ineffectual against myths in our society.

Thanks for posting that, AT - that really sums it up doesn't it? Why didn't the 'Remain' campaign explain the consequences more effectively?

Boris and Donald - what a scary world! !!!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The UK and EU exit

Here's an interesting breakdown of the votes.
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06...voted-and-why/

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Doesn't anyone else find the Financial Times piece condescending to those who voted to leave the EU? Just because one objects to open borders doesn't make you an ignorant bigot. Much of the U.S. press does this too: if anyone dares to suggest that uncontrolled immigration has some negative consequences, they are excoriated as racist.

I hope for the best for Britain; they are amazing people. I can't help but feel all the fear-mongering and predictions of doom by certain media news outlets is exaggerated. Let's hope so anyway.

Very interesting and comprehensive, thank you.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I wonder how this will affect the US presidential election. Donald Trump was in Scotland yesterday; He was praising the UK for leaving the EU. I hope that it works out well for ya'll.

Forgive the dumb American who can't remember 6th grade geography, but is Ireland included in the UK or not? I always get the United Kingdom and Great Britain mixed up.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Definitely hoping for the best for our British friends as you navigate these uncertain waters.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Doesn't anyone else find the Financial Times piece condescending to those who voted to leave the EU? Just because one objects to open borders doesn't make you an ignorant bigot. Much of the U.S. press does this too: if anyone dares to suggest that uncontrolled immigration has some negative consequences, they are excoriated as racist.

I hope for the best for Britain; they are amazing people. I can't help but feel all the fear-mongering and predictions of doom by certain media news outlets is exaggerated. Let's hope so anyway.
    I'm afraid that I can't agree with your views, NMB - Brexit effects ALL EU members and it's not just about immigration. That was the spin put on it by the LEAVE camp. Ireland will be hugely effected through exports, imports and all trading not to mention all the Irish people living and working in the UK whose status is now unsure. And I haven't even mentioned Northern Ireland. Britain is no longer 'Great' and it's VERY serious.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Interesting demographics. I did not know that the majority of people who are in work voted to remain.

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I wonder how this will affect the US presidential election. Donald Trump was in Scotland yesterday; He was praising the UK for leaving the EU. I hope that it works out well for ya'll.

Forgive the dumb American who can't remember 6th grade geography, but is Ireland included in the UK or not? I always get the United Kingdom and Great Britain mixed up.
    Northern Ireland is in the UK. Southern Ireland (most of it) is an independent country. There are some calls to reunite Northern and Southern Ireland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ireland

I think that the UK is going to go through some very 'interesting' times, and not interesting in a good way. We are already experiencing considerable turmoil of various types.

BTW: As for 'dumb Americans': http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...ans-are-dumber

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Interesting demographics. I did not know that the majority of people who are in work voted to remain.

Northern Ireland is in the UK. Southern Ireland (most of it) is an independent country. There are some calls to reunite Northern and Southern Ireland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ireland

I think that the UK is going to go through some very 'interesting' times, and not interesting in a good way. We are already experiencing considerable turmoil of various types.

BTW: As for 'dumb Americans': http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...ans-are-dumber
    Yeah, I was referring to the Republic of Ireland. I knew that Northern Ireland is a part of the UK, but I couldn't remember which meant the 4 countries and which meant the 5 countries as a whole.
    Like I said, I hope that it works out well, and that the UK doesn't suffer as a result of this decision.

"Dumb American" was meant to be a bit sarcastic.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I shall listen and learn, DD. I hope our British, Irish and other European forum members will continue to share their opinions and experience.