Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The UK and EU exit

Default Re: The UK and EU exit

When I was 12, I lived in Saudi Arabia and went to a one-classroom "school" with the children of other employees: an English girl, a Scottish girl, a French girl, a German girl, and 2 Dutch boys.

I learned the hard way never to call a Scottish person English. I'll never forget how that Scottish girl tongue lashed me when I did so! Now I have a PhD in British literature, specializing in the Renaissance. If Mechelle from Scotland could see me now! Anyway, I've been watching this with interest and I've read arguments from both sides.

I saw a tweet earlier by Jeremy Clarkson where he said the British should take a day to moan and then figure out a way to make it work. If history is any indication, the British will indeed find a way. The UK is one amazing country, warts and all.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Yeah, I was referring to the Republic of Ireland. I knew that Northern Ireland is a part of the UK, but I couldn't remember which meant the 4 countries and which meant the 5 countries as a whole.
    Ireland basically has two countries - The Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland (which is occupied by Britain).
    Ireland has 32 counties - 26 of those make up the Republic of Ireland and 6 of those counties are in Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales.
    United Kingdom (UK) is the official name given to Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.

Not confusing at all
    Last edited by L101; 06-25-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I wonder how this will affect the US presidential election. Donald Trump was in Scotland yesterday; He was praising the UK for leaving the EU. I hope that it works out well for ya'll.

Forgive the dumb American who can't remember 6th grade geography, but is Ireland included in the UK or not? I always get the United Kingdom and Great Britain mixed up.
    Trump praised Scotland specifically for taking the country back, just like America will! This is what he said:

Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!

He got it completely wrong. Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/1202468...ignorant-tweet

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I shall listen and learn, DD. I hope our British, Irish and other European forum members will continue to share their opinions and experience.
    I agree, NMB. I'm finding this conversation and the one in the thread started by UTW so interesting. I enjoy reading the thoughts of Border folks and the articles they've posted about this issue. I have suspected the coverage I've seen here is a bit simplistic and (like so much news here) the coverage seems to be sort of centered with how its related to Trump and what he's saying.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I always used to get confused about the whole UK and Great Britain thing too but thankfully a lot of my UK Losties in the LOST fandom helped with that as well as watching "Downton Abbey" and "Outlander". Like I said in the other thread so many are panicking about it over there and here in the US too as some are afraid about our elections in November. And now that it sounds like Scotland is planning to vote to leave the UK again and Northern Ireland might too. Just crazy times we're living in and just wish we could get through all of this peacefully.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Troubadour

I honestly don't think that the LEAVE campaign really expected to win. Farage actually conceded about 10pm Thursday might before the count had begun!!! Now they don't know what to do and are trying to back track on some of their promises already. They used immigration as a means of frightening people but Cameron had already made a deal with the EU which was going to be implemented after the referendum. The LEAVE thought Cameron would stay to clean up their mess but the EU want to get them out as quickly as possible so Cameron's taking off. I really believe the whole process was a disguise for an internal Tory struggle and Boris wanted to position himself as the frontrunner for Cameron's successor but now reality has set in and many voters are regretting that they voted yes.

I read that some holiday makers found it difficult to exchange sterling for euros abroad because the pound is all over the place on the stock market. It's such a mess. Scotland voted to stay but are stuck with the overall decision. Northern Ireland voted to stay but are also stuck. Republic of Irish students and workers won't be able to take up work or studies now in the UK because they're not in the EU. The Irish passport office has been inundated with applications from people in the UK with an Irish parent or grandparent to enable them to travel freely throughout Europe. Cameron should have never given in to his Tory detractors - they've created this disaster.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

There was movement between Ireland and the UK before either joined the EU and hopefully that can be restored.

I wonder if many of the people who voted to leave, did so as a protest vote without any belief it could actually happen. Even more than the decision to leave the EU, what worries me is the lack of leadership. We face difficult times ahead and everyone is resigning, presumably leaving power with the people who got us into this mess without any idea how they could make it work.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    There was movement between Ireland and the UK before either joined the EU and hopefully that can be restored.
    Yeah, hopefully but the trouble is we are STILL in the EU and that dictates all decisions. We can't decide to make a seperate agreement with a country outside the EU 'cos it may not be legal.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Yes, the U.S. coverage tends to be simplistic and very colored by partisan political leanings: conservative Fox News is crowing triumphantly about the British people taking their country back from the globalist elites, and liberal CNN wringing their hands about the UK committing economic suicide.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Trump praised Scotland specifically for taking the country back, just like America will! This is what he said:

Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!

He got it completely wrong. Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/1202468...ignorant-tweet
    I saw that yesterday on one of the national news shows. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The reporter called Trump's stupidity "ironic", which doesn't describe Trump's mistake at all. (Oh dear god, help my generation if he becomes president.)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time