Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Stonehill's "Teen King"

Thanks for the info, "Ezekiel", and welcome! I vaguely remember that essay by C.S. Lewis on "Bulverism." Hopefully you are not a proponent. (I adore C.S. Lewis, BTW, especially The Great Divorce).

I think I'll look Stonehill up on iTunes. Sounds interesting. Do you own any of his stuff?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Default The Stonehill Song

While not reaching superstar status, like Glenn, Randy Stonehill is a very well respected singer/songwriter and guitar player in the Christian music scene. He's been around quite a while, too. The thing about alternative forms of music, is that you can be way more talented than pop stars, you just don't have the appeal with the masses. Take Bernie Leadon for example. That guy can play circles around all of the other Eagles instrumentally, but he's gone off and done bluegrass, gospel and even some jazz and no one hardly knows who he is. Yet, it was him who probably had the biggest influence on the Eagles "country rock" sound. I think the Stonehill song is interesting, but like a few others wrote here, was it just a simple comment on Glenn's superstar status, or is there something deeper going on there?

Good point about alternate music, mac. It takes more than just pure talent to make it, that's for sure.

And welcome, BTW!

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Default Re: Randy Stonehill's "Teen King"

This is cute
    dig the lyrics...so very much Glenn at the time!
    (from what I've heard haha)

anyway I was wondering what it sounded like and found this on youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddpllwgPDo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddpllwgPDo[/ame]

in case anyone hasn't heard it

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Glenn does inspire so many people in their musical business for sure. LOL I have always wondered what this song sounded like. I've seen that title worn by Glenn (on shirts) many times, but never knew it was a song until now. Thank you for finding this link. I love learning and hearing about the incredible Glenn (Teen King). Love the lyrics by the way.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Out on the Border

I know this is very old thread.. But I grew up with Stonehills music.. And I looked up what he said about Glenn Frey... This is from. Facebook in 2016

Farewell, Mr. Frey,

The first time I met Glenn Frey was in 1973. It was both surreal and unforgettable. I was backstage with Ron Wood and Pattie Harrison at the Rainbow Theatre in London, England (like I said...surreal!). A security guard was clearing the hallway for Neil Young's approach to the stage and we were hustled through a side door into a brightly lit room. It was the "Eagles" dressing room! There they all sat, having just come off stage. Everyone was a bit surprised at first, but then the band recognized Ron and Pattie, so all was well. The rest is a story for another time.

Though our paths crossed three different times over the years, I didn't really know Glenn Frey, but tonight, I feel both a great sense of loss, as well as, a great debt of gratitude. Glenn and the "Eagles" were the musical backdrop and part of the fabric of that young, romantic season in my life, when my own music and vision was starting to take shape, so there's an unexpected sense of connection and heartache that has come with his departure.

In 1974, as the "Eagles" were beginning to leave an indelible mark on the culture, I sat with my guitar, gazing out the window of my North Hollywood apartment on Otsego Street. I remember thinking, "If Glenn and Don were Christians, what kind of song would they right?" I began playing the riff that would become the guitar hook for "Keep Me Runnin'". Thank you Glenn and Don, for being a musical catalyst! A few years later, I was kicking around song ideas with a lady friend who had dated Glenn briefly. As we talked about her time with him, she laughed as she told me that the rest of the band had nick-named him "Teen King". A song was born! A musical commentary on the world's empty gifts that masquerade as success; "Teen King" found it's home on my record, "The Sky is Falling".

I'm sitting here writing this, partly I guess, out of the need for closure, as well as for all of you who were touched by Glenn's music. I'm haunted, in a hopeful way, by this Scripture that keeps echoing in my heart. "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is long-suffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all would come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9) If that indeed is God's heartfelt, holy desire, then surely, at the last, Living Hope is not yet beyond each man's grasp. I believe God's Word, which states clearly, "...it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement" (Hebrews 9:27). The question that I will probably never have answered this side of Heaven is, "Father, do You reveal Yourself to them in the twilight? In those precious final moments, before a man's last breath, do You extend Your hand and say, "Come to Me, repent of your sin, confess your need, and come to Me...it's still your choice, it's not too late." I would never cheapen or diminish what the atonement cost our precious Savior, but I just can't help thinking that the other worldly, mighty power of the Cross continues to woo a soul up to the very edge of eternity. For Glenn's sake, I pray that it does.

Farewell, Mr. Frey.

#GlennFrey

That's lovely. Thanks for posting it.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

jkpits, beautiful! I hope you're right.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for your post, jk. I feel confident that Glenn was a Christian and is resting in eternal peace. I believe one or more of his children attended a Catholic school in their early years.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks for your post, jk. I feel confident that Glenn was a Christian and is resting in eternal peace. I believe one or more of his children attended a Catholic school in their early years.
    I think Taylor attended a Catholic girls high school in LA. It was listed on her FB page at one time.