Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 and Under - why are you an Eagles fan?

Out on the Border Jeremy Lawrence's Avatar

Default 30 and Under - why are you an Eagles fan?

I assume most of us are like me, around 50 yo and the Eagles were our first love when we started listening to music in mid 70's.

But those of you 30 and under, how/why/when did you become a fan?

(Hopefully someone -30 will reply)
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author
    "Already Gone: a Novel"
    http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
    https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: 30 and Under - why are you an Eagles fan?

I'll turn 21 in September.

My parents and one of my uncles got me into rock music (particularly classic rock) at a young age. I've been a casual fan of the Eagles since I was 7 or 8 years old. My mom is the one who's a fan of the Eagles. I didn't know anything about the band; I just liked their hits. I knew of Don Henley and I vaguely knew Glenn. I did know that both had solo careers in the 80s.

It wasn't until about 14 months ago that that changed. My uncle showed me Don Henley's Boys of Summer video, and for nearly a week, that song was stuck in my head. I had bought the Eagles Live album on vinyl. At the end of that week, I was fooling around with it, and a poster fell out. It landed with Glenn's face staring up at me. I noticed how handsome he looked. I remembered that Glenn did the song Smuggler's Blues, and watched the video of it on YouTube.
    That was all it took. I googled Glenn and over the course of the next month, became a huge fan of the band and Glenn's.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Good stuff AG95,

I'm in the "all the good music has already been written" crowd and I find it fascinating when a young person is attracted to older music.

My nephew (25) knows more about the classics than I do.

-jl
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author

Im 25, was 21 when I really got into them. Just loved the serious ballads like ol 55, hollywood waltz and attig and those country rock vocals. Also enjoyed the breezier stuff like GDIH and Take it easy pretty much soundtrack to my UNi life and 20s just love their vocals and melodies say over the guitars. Musically I prefer Zeppellin but the Eagles I loved the lead vocals they all had different personalities that worked and yet the group harmonies work so well too.

Just their whole package and the themes of their songs seem to line up with my life so well at this point in time. I also just aesthetically like country rock and ballads!
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Thanks, that is helpful. I'm "kind of" doing research for my 2nd book in the Eagles series and part of it explains how my heroine became an Eagles fan. She's your folks age, mid-twenties.

-jl
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I'm turning 30 in August and for me it was because my parents and most of my aunts and uncles are huge Eagles fans. I've known their music since I was born but possibly before that as my Mom would let me listen to the radio via her headphones on her stomach when she was pregnant with me. LOL I knew Glenn and Don too from their solo careers and my Dad was a huge fan of Joe Walsh before he was in the Eagles too. What really got me was when Hell Freezes Over happened and they reunited when I was 8 that I became a fan in my own right. I got to see them perform on TV and I just loved it. Glenn around then also became my favorite too (he already was my Mom's) and there was just something about his voice and smile. I just wanted to know more about them and was glad we finally got a computer and I could start researching them myself. Around 11/12 is when I finally started creating stories based off music and some of my early ideas were set to Eagles songs, which is why I finally went back to those and got my idea for my 5th novel I'm working on.

I've loved them ever since. But I'm also a fan of Classic Rock in general as well as older country. I do listen to almost any genre though and still do listen to some current artists (mostly country and alternative rock), but I always prefer 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s music.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I am 17 turning 18 in November and I have the same birthday as Joe, November 20th. I am a Guitar Player,Bass player and also Piano. My mother introuced to to the Beatles at e age of 5 through the Concert For George(It will always be my favorite concert) Through that I merged into Lynyrd Skynyrd,Aerosmith,Guns N Roses(especially Chinese Democracy it is a criminally underated album). As for the Eagles my mother kept pressuring me to watch Farwell 1 on DVD, which as a young child I remember scenes from the Helment cam but when I watch it now it seems like a completely different band. I never listened to the Eagles until I decided to listen to the Greatest Hits 1 and on Spotify. The doc is what turned me into a Hardcore fan. But Glenn just came onto to me as a complete asshole to be lightly. I joined the border looking to read more into the lawsuit but It still seems weird watching the 4 guys in F1 knowing what was going on at the time. It's why I prefer the 70s material to LROOE. That and it is not on Spotify. The board made me understand more why Glenn and Don did what they did as it was in the best interest of the band. Finally one of my friends is the Stepson of one of Bernies sisters and got to meet him twice. I am sad they will no longer be around but the Music and VIDS will always be here so I am great fun for that. Also I am looking to go to school for Audio Production after I graduate High School next year(will be a senior this fall) so I love reading how they recorded and produced. The border has changed my opinion on Glenn and I appreciate it.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I'm 17 and I became a huge Eagles fan when my mom showed me History of the Eagles. After watching that, I immediately fell in love with the Eagles and I became Eagles crazy. Before History of the Eagles, my mom had got me listening to some main rock n roll bands like Queen and Van Halen but the Eagles were the icing on the cake. Now all I listen to is classic rock and I listen to the Eagles ALL THE TIME.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

18 y.o. and I got into the Eagles much more after Frey's passing. My dad had "Smuggler's Blues" on his iPod, like 8-10 years ago, and I didn't think much of it at the time. Then, "Heartache Tonight" came on the radio several months ago, and the Eagles still didn't catch on with me yet. After Frey's passing, I started to listen to more of the Eagles' music and got "The Very Best of" from the public library. That pretty much gave me a great sample of their stuff and I started to listen to their albums. The Long Run is my favorite album b/c of the titular song, "In the City," "Heartache Tonight," and "King of Hollywood." I prefer the later half of their discography from the 70s, but there are a few songs from the 1st 3 albums I like, such as "Take It Easy," "Witchy Woman," "James Dean," "Already Gone," and "On the Border." I'm not a big fan of Desperado. I also prefer Don's solo work from the 80s over Glenn's, but Glenn does have some songs that I like. I actually started with Glenn and then went to Don. I like a few of Joe Walsh's songs, and I love the reggae bass sound for "Life's Been Good."

Generally, I don't like today's music because I can't stand tenor or auto-tuned voices from male singers that are played on the radio as well as over processed sounds or lack of real instruments. The only more modern band that I like is Matchbox Twenty until they released North in 2013. Then, I migrated to The Clash after I heard their version of "I Fought the Law" and hence, my username. I got into punk from the 70s and the 80s, and now, I'm into the Eagles. I don't care that the Eagles are pretty much the opposite of The Clash in terms of style - Punk vs. more mainstream music. I only care about whether or not it sounds good. I don't care about any political messages in songs.

No mention of "Hotel California" from the youngsters... interesting.
    -jl
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author