Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 and Under - why are you an Eagles fan?

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: 30 and Under - why are you an Eagles fan?

I knew of "Hotel California" the song as a kid and of course me loving science-fiction I used to relate the song a lot with my sci-fi TV shows and movies I liked like my user name "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", especially since that took place in California and they lived on top of the gateway the Hell. LOL But I always knew that song and the iconic guitar duel of Joe and Felder. For me though I tended to like their earlier songs and especially the songs Glenn sang lead on. As a kid my parents only had both Greatest Hits albums on CD (as well as the Common Thread country cover album) so I only knew those and whatever our Classic Rock radio stations played. I wasn't familiar with the songs that didn't appear on those Greatest Hits albums till I was almost an adult and the Internet and iTunes came along and discovered so much more. Now the "Hotel California" album is my fav Eagles album.
    Last edited by buffyfan145; 06-28-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Lawrence View Post
    No mention of "Hotel California" from the youngsters... interesting.
    -jl
    I'm over 30, but I wasn't born when the Eagles started in 1972. Thus, "Hotel California" is just another Eagles song to me, not a cultural icon like it is for so many who grew up when it was huge. I enjoy it as a high quality song, but it's not even in my top 20 Eagles songs overall. I suspect that those even younger than I am might experience the same phenomenon - the lack of cultural emphasis means it doesn't have the kind of significance to them that it does to older fans. This isn't a universal opinion, obviously, just an observation.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

I'm in my early fifties. The idea of being a fan of a band from my parents generation was incomprehensible to me, and until Joe joined them, I did generally consider the Eagles as music for my parents.

I don't think any Eagles songs reached iconic status until the eighties and nineties, classic rock radio stations, played them in heavy rotation. I'd say that was true, in the UK, for the catalogs of many 60s and 70s pop/rock stars. So many also got a huge boost when their records were reborn as CDs.

I guess it was the internet that killed off the musical generation gap.

Out on the Border Jeremy Lawrence's Avatar

Funk50, I felt the same until my dad played Buddy Holly.
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author
    "Already Gone: a Novel"
    http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
    https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

I am in my 50's (early..lol)..I definately grew up to the Eagles' music...Our local rock band, to whom we danced to every saturday night played all the Eagles' songs ...that band was/is called the Phantoms and they are celebrating their 50th anniversary this summer with a 3 day weekend concert/dance....It will be amazing to see all my former classmates...bittersweet as well...

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Lawrence View Post
    No mention of "Hotel California" from the youngsters... interesting.
    -jl

Hotel California (the song) was implied when I said that I knew and liked their hits. I've enjoyed since I was little, although I used to dislike when the vocals ended and the guitar solo began HC is in my top 10 Eagles songs, but since I've known it all of my life, it's not that important to my being a huge fan, and not just a casual one.

Unlike most fans my age. I didn't discover HOTE until after I became a hardcore fan.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Great stories! I am 25 years old and live in Idaho. My parents loved the Eagles in the 1970's and the HFO album was released when I was a young kid. I distinctly remember my parents driving me to sports games with HFO playing on a cassette tape in the car. Take It Easy became "the baseball song". I grew up listening to them and found myself being comforted by listening to their music when I was stressed. Their music brought me back to simpler times as a kid. My parents took my younger brother and I to see them when I was 10 and that was such a treat.
    Last year the Eagles made a stop in Boise, 2 hours away from where I live. I went and it was the best concert I've ever been to. I was so glad I got to fully appreciate the Eagles in concert, especially after what happened in January.
    I decided to see Don Henley in concert this summer on July 20th in Woodinville, Washington. I am very excited as Don is my favorite Eagle and thrilled that he has included The Last Resort in his setlist as that one has always been my favorite Eagles song. My mom and I are going together so it will be a fun mother-daughter trip.

27 here.

I'm a fan because I was in a depressed state and someone said to listen to music and play guitar and HC was one of the first records I stumbled on that lit the fire. I then became a fan of other bands. I like them because of their music and their guitar sound and their later guitar team. To me they are known for their guitar sound and style too, as much as important to me as their classic harmonies.