Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamin’ ‘bout (a new) tomorrow

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Default Dreamin’ ‘bout (a new) tomorrow

After the LROOE album was released, there were speculations about a new album already and Joe and Tim didn’t completely rule out another, final album to come, while Don declared LROOE would probably be their last album. However, the Eagles were thinking about doing a tour playing Hotel California (the album) from top to bottom like they did before with Desperado, but those plans were cancelled due to Glenn’s passing.

This might be a questionable topic, but on the other hand it might not as we all wish this was the case: We all wish Glenn had stayed longer with us (in good health!), but (and now comes the dreaming part) what if he did? What would you have hoped for the Eagles to do? From bringing out a new album (rock, or country?), to giving Glenn (and themselves) a well-deserved retirement to… bringing a former member back to the band?… Anything!...

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Default Re: Dreamin’ ‘bout (a new) tomorrow

I hope it's not too early yet to start such a topic

Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?

Border Rebel

I would've loved to see one more studio album with Bernie added to the band. Henley said in a Rolling Stone interview that they had 4 or 5 songs that didn't get finished in time for LROOE. I would like to hear those finished, plus enough other new ones to fill up a cd. That would've been my dream in addition to another Glenn Frey solo album.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

If Glenn were still here, I would have loved for the Eagles to continue touring, even if they scaled it back in terms of the number of shows. I was also looking forward to the Hotel California Broadway show. I had always hoped when they finally did call it quits, that they would go out with a bang instead of a whimper (to paraphrase Glenn in the HotE doc) - maybe a limited number of shows where they could have shown their appreciation to the fans.

Obviously, I would have welcomed new music from the band and/or band members. And I would have also loved for all seven band members to write their memoirs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

My dreams would be about Glenn's unfinished projects: the new album, the memoir, the musical. I can still hope for more from the others.

Last October, Funk50 started a thread about what people wanted to see from the Eagles in the future, and that might be worth a look. Of course, we had no idea Glenn was ill.
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...highlight=cass

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

At a wild guess, we'll see some unfinished bits on future box sets. If there are only a few songs left over then that wouldn't justify an album.

Perhaps bits and pieces from Glenn's solo album could be put together with unfinished Eagles tracks and formed into an Eagles album (even if a bit short). However, I suspect that Don H won't want to do this. And hence it won't happen.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

There was so much that Glenn was working on like others have said and it would've been nice to have seen all of that come out. It would've been great too if they had new songs or more unreleased material out and if Bernie was involved again. The musical still sounds to be in the works with Don taking it over. More than anything I just wish they could've come back to Columbus so I could've finally seen them with Glenn live as I had always wanted to and thought I would get the chance as I did with Paul McCartney and Fleetwood Mac in the past couple years. I'm just sad I never was able to go when they did come here but I am happy to see Don soon and hopefully will with Joe and maybe Timothy as well.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Out on the Border

I’m still a little not OK (read this in Bernie’s voice) with Glenn’s passing, but I am OK with the way things will work out because of it. This might be quite a good moment in time for the Eagles to quit anyway. They have released their final album a while back already, they have their own documentary now and the corresponding HOTE tour had just finished (although the circle would have been even more complete if the latter included all members). Otherwise, they would either become their own tribute band for mostly rehashing their old stuff or they would have to make another album, while LROOE was already the righteous career closer. A band that lasted as long as the Eagles doing another album while the last one was so long ago is always a dangerous thing to do. However, LROOE was necessary, because a legendary band like them can’t have only 6 albums, with the last one being described as rather disappointing after the hype surrounding HC. LROOE added another 20 good songs to the catalogue, which finally seemed saturated now. But because the Eagles made a qualitatively good record in their own style without repeating themselves (a huge accomplishment), it may have left most fans hoping for yet another album to come – which is exactly as it should be.

Another album would never have happened I guess, and I think that’s not a bad thing. It would probably not add enough to their legacy anymore.

However, this thing is all about ifs and buts. So I’m not sure whether it would be a good or bad thing to do, but if they did another record, I couldn’t help but be very curious. I would want the amount of songs per member exactly like it was on their first album: that would mean everyone an equal share of the songs, however, some in which they share lead vocals. I would love some Bernie contributions too. The style of the album would be a hard one. I would prefer an album slightly heavier than LROOE, but with both Bernie included and the fact that they’re all nearing 70, an album softer and more country oriented than LROOE would be more logical. Plus, with a new album we could also see them perform old and new songs live again. One more wish: I would want a song on it in the vein of How Long or Busy Being Fabulous, which would be good and remarkable enough to not be overlooked by today’s main public but instead become a hit, even nowadays. A bit like Paul McCartney’s FourFiveSeconds and the Peppers’ Dark Necessities, but this would be way more extreme. I dunno, it’s probably a weird and inappropriate thing to wish for. Maybe it’s part of the broader desire to have them go out with a bang, instead of this sudden and forced goodbye.

Right now I'm mostly looking forward to Don Henley and Don Felder solo efforts, so not much will change about that. I also hoped for Glenn to make good with Don F. before it was too late. But the most important thing for me regarding Glenn is that he could have finished all the projects he was working on and be satisfied with them. Besides, I hope that all remaining Eagles will get the chance to do what they still want to do and maybe have a well-deserved retirement if they feel like it.

Banned

If Glenn was still with us and not taking out an extended period of leave to recover from his surgery, I reckon we'd already have new Eagles music in the form of their contribution to the Dan Fogelberg tribute album.
    What's going to become of that project?

A new Eagles compilation for Christmas.... they're due another one. Greatest hits including some Long Road Out Of Eden tracks, plus one or two of those unreleased tracks that are in limbo and maybe something including Bernie and maybe even Randy such as a re-recording of one of the early pre-Joe numbers such as Saturday Night. Don's always said he wants to re-record the Glynn Johns stuff. Approaching 2017, that gives Eagles an enticing set of songs to bolster the set list for a Hotel California 40th Anniversary Tour.

Glenn said he wanted Eagles to record an album of covers, Buffalo Springfield's - On The Way Home seemed to be more than just a suggestion. I really hope that there is a posthumous Glenn Frey album released, hopefully with the other Eagles contributing to it in some way.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If Glenn was still with us and not taking out an extended period of leave to recover from his surgery, I reckon we'd already have new Eagles music in the form of their contribution to the Dan Fogelberg tribute album.
    What's going to become of that project?

A new Eagles compilation for Christmas.... they're due another one. Greatest hits including some Long Road Out Of Eden tracks, plus one or two of those unreleased tracks that are in limbo and maybe something including Bernie and maybe even Randy such as a re-recording of one of the early pre-Joe numbers such as Saturday Night. Don's always said he wants to re-record the Glynn Johns stuff. Approaching 2017, that gives Eagles an enticing set of songs to bolster the set list for a Hotel California 40th Anniversary Tour.

Glenn said he wanted Eagles to record an album of covers, Buffalo Springfield's - On The Way Home seemed to be more than just a suggestion. I really hope that there is a posthumous Glenn Frey album released, hopefully with the other Eagles contributing to it in some way.
    You will never give up on this, will you? Optimistic is one word. I can think of others. As Soda said a while back you just keep twisting that knife, apparently for your own enjoyment.

As for your other suggestions for the life of me I do not know why the surviving Eagles would even think about re-recording old songs, but even more so without Glenn.

I don't know anything about them contributing to a Fogelberg tribute album but I would have thought if they had done so it would have been as individuals. I checked his FB page & there was a post saying that it's 'still in the works'.

I believe Glenn's suggestion to do the covers album was knocked back by the others. I am just so grateful that I got to hear him sing On The Way Home, three times. The posthumous album release is something I want, but I very much doubt I will get it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-05-2016 at 05:57 PM.