Thread: Take it To the Limit: Eagles or Dave Mason?

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Take it To the Limit: Eagles or Dave Mason?

Here's another prominent Eagles cover which caught my eye. Apparently, British songwriter Dave Mason, formerly of the pioneering Progressive Rock band Traffic, released this one on his 1976 "Certified Live" LP. This particular album showed a change of musical direction for Mason from his earlier rocking releases("Only You Know and I Know"). Within a year of this release, he, with help from songwriting partner Jim Krueger(whom you can hear on backup vocals), had his biggest ever hit with Soft Rock favourite "We Just Disagree."

Here's a link to Mason's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBB196qboHk

The same live LP that features this song also features covers of such songs as "All Along the Watch Tower"(Mason played acoustic 12-string guitar on Jimi Hendrix's version) and "Gimme Some Lovin'."(Traffic bandmate Steve Winwood sang lead on the Spencer Davis Group original) Mason later became a more distant member of the Eagles family in joining with the band Fleetwood Mac for the 1995 album "Time."

I vastly prefer the Eagles' original version of "Take it To the Limit," but I do like where Mason takes the song with the acoustic and vocal arrangements. What say all of you?
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Take it To the Limit: Eagles or Dave Mason?

It sounds nice. He's backed up by some very capable backing vocalists. Is the vocal arrangement pretty much the same as the Eagles' version or does it differ? There are some extra 'interjections/responses' from the backing vocalists.

The link above goes to a video that has been deleted. But, I found what looks to be the same version here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB4QtcdfRCk[/ame]

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    It sounds nice. He's backed up by some very capable backing vocalists. Is the vocal arrangement pretty much the same as the Eagles' version or does it differ? There are some extra 'interjections/responses' from the backing vocalists.

I'd say the vocal arrangement is the same(or at least very similar), though Dave Mason sings it all together different from the way Randy Meisner sings the original.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

I just heard this version on Sirius. Its not that bad of a version.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Not a bad version. However, in MHO, nobody, nowhere can beat Randy. His version is above and beyond what anyone else has done.