Thread: The Carpenters

Out on the Border

Default The Carpenters

Hi

Anyone here like The Carpenters ? I have been listening to them a lot lately and i love them, I heard they Did a version of Desperado?

Richard Carpenter is amazing, he gets no respect for his abilities, I actually have his 1997 Solo Classical Cd, RC Pianist, Composer, its actually pretty good

Of course they should be in the hall of fame

Thoughts ?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The Carpenters

One of my uncles is a Carpenters fan. I haven't heard that much Carpenters stuff, but I love what I've heard. Goodbye To Love is interesting, because it's such a sweet song, but it has that dirty lead guitar. Brilliant. Lyrically I don't like the kind of nostalgia stuff that Yesterday Once More is full of, but musically it's gorgeous. What makes the "band" even more interesting is that Karen was also a great drummer!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Love The Carpenters too. My Mom has always loved them and they were another group I always remember hearing a lot as a kid. Plus me being an alto it was easy to sing the songs with Karen being one as well.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    One of my uncles is a Carpenters fan. I haven't heard that much Carpenters stuff, but I love what I've heard. Goodbye To Love is interesting, because it's such a sweet song, but it has that dirty lead guitar. Brilliant. Lyrically I don't like the kind of nostalgia stuff that Yesterday Once More is full of, but musically it's gorgeous. What makes the "band" even more interesting is that Karen was also a great drummer!
    Goodbye To Love is a favourite of mine especially because of the guitar. Also Rainy Days & Mondays. When they both start singing the chorus 'hanging around' it's awesome.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

"Only Yesterday" is a song that I appreciate a lot as an adult. Also, Karen did a cover of Leon Russell's "A Song for You" that is quietly devastating.

I grew up listening to the radio, and the Carpenters had many hits in the U.S. (probably all over the world). I found the sometimes gloomy/somewhat ominous atmosphere of certain records fascinating, especially "Superstar."

There's no doubt that Richard Carpenter is a talented arranger and musician. I think he doesn't get the kudos because his production methods sometimes venture uncomfortably into "easy listening" territory. He's a bit (sometimes a LOT) too smooth and it can sound antiseptic and homogenized. Just my opinion. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy the records, because I do.

I wonder if Richard Carpenter's production style influenced the way Mutt Lange produced Shania Twain. Here you have a voice that is so warm and resonant, and he puts it in an almost clinically sterile ambiance.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

My partner is a fan of them, but primarily of Karen Carpenter. I bought her some Carpenters CDs (on her request) for her birthday once.