Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have decided "New Kid in Town" is Glenns best work

Out on the Border Jeremy Lawrence's Avatar

Default I have decided "New Kid in Town" is Glenns best work

Use to think it was "Lyin Eyes" because he conceived of the song, wrote, and sang it.

But just heard New Kid, I think that might be his best work. Not sure why, but just really listened to it in the car by myself.

-jl
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author
    "Already Gone: a Novel"
    http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
    https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

Default Re: I have decided "New Kid in Town" is Glenns best work

Out of all of the songs Glenn has written himself or wrote with someone, it's also my favorite of his.

Lyin' Eyes, for me personally, is just too long and it doesn't hold my attention and seems to drag on forever. I've never liked it. It's lyrically very strong but I don't feel any connection to them and it gets boring after the first couple verses.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Lyin Eyes is my favourite
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Jeremy, I agree with you. Not only is it Glenn's high point, it is the Eagles' high point - my favouirte Eagles song. I also agree with GA about Lyin' Eyes, which comes second. I have never tired of it, not for a minute.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I think I agree but then I feel like my favorite of Glenn's changes depending on my mood. LOL But "New Kid in Town" for sure though is a favorite of his & the Eagles in general. I've always loved the sound of it and it's such a great song. It's also on my playlist for my 5th novel I'm currently writing that I'm mixing of all the scenes I pictured to Eagles songs as a kid and plays a big part of the story I'm telling.

The song also has a huge connection to my local classic rock station in Columbus, QFM 96, as when they debuted in 1977 the very first song they played was "New Kid in Town". That also was the first song they played when Glenn passed away as it kicked off their station and they thanked him and the band for their music and being part of the reason the station still exists.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

New Kid is my favorite song sung by Glenn. It is definitely his best work.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Since this thread is specifically about Glenn's songs, I moved it to this forum.

I'm torn about this - while I absolutely love New Kid in Town and it is one of my favorite Eagles songs, I feel about the same regarding Heartache Tonight. And, of course, then there is Take It Easy and Lyin' Eyes, etc., etc. There are also some gems in his solo work such as YBTTC, POMPOY, and River of Dreams that shouldn't be ignored either.

Okay, I told you I was torn.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

"New Kid in Town" is certainly one of his best Eagles songs. For me, it's a tough choice between that one, "Tequila Sunrise," and "After the Thrill is Gone" for the Gold.

Quite a few good contenders in his solo catalogue. 'Heat is On' and "You Belong to the City" are obvious contenders, though there were a couple of really good lesser-known songs off the 'All-Nighter' album whose names escape me at the moment. "Strange Weather" and "Big Life" also rate high up there.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Absolutely, Glenn's best vocal performance is "New Kid in Town" IMO. Playing TLR Survivor game reminds me of one of this album's weaknesses: no great Glenn vocal lead on a country track. There's has been one on every album up to this one. I understand country rock was on its way out by this time and Glenn wanted to move towards a more commercial rock sound. I find this ironic considering Glenn had such a great country voice--warm, soothing, strong. Plus it was different and stood out. NKIT is probably one of my top 3 Eagles songs.

Stuck on the Border

I was thinking the same about The Long Run album - it lacks a "signature" Glenn vocal. By "signature", I mean that warm, relaxed, friendly vocal that we hear on "Peaceful Easy Feeling", "Tequila Sunrise", "Ol' 55", "Lyin' Eyes" and "New Kid in Town". I know he also had "rock" vocals on the first three albums but it's the softer ones that identify with him. Of course, he returned to them on LROOE.

Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I believe that Glenn really did need to go solo in 1980. Imagine if the Eagles had continued with an album every three years with just one Frey lead vocal on each.