Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I have decided "New Kid in Town" is Glenns best work

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: I have decided "New Kid in Town" is Glenns best work

I totally agree too JCL about "How Long" and how it would be considered country by today's standards. It reminds me of how one of my local country stations' morning DJs have said for years if the Eagles came out now they would automatically be considered country. It's also because rock as a genre doesn't really exist too much anymore unless it's alternative or hard rock. Pop music is too electronica and hip hop now, so it's probably why today's country is such a mixture of genres because they don't fit anywhere else now.

I even remember "How Long" getting played on my local country stations and older Eagles songs would get played on the classic country station we used to have, especially from their earlier albums. Plus, I loved "How Long" and was so excited they had a new single.

Back to Glenn's voice I've always loved both the smooth country style and the harder rock one. Then his solo career helped him explore even more styles. It's probably why even as a little girl I always preferred Glenn's voice to Don's.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think How Long is an upbeat tune but to me that Telecaster twangy sound bills it for me as a country song just because of that. I've seen the old clip of them doing it back then, and it was a bit more rock n' roll.. I think when it's stripped down I consider it more of a rock song. But Stu's country licks in the song on LROOE messes with my head.
    Not to get too far off-topic, but I agree that "How Long" is not a rock song, at least not the LROOE version. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it even won a Grammy in the country music category. Plus they performed the song at the CMAs. Ironically enough, the 1973 live version sounds more like a rock song to me, even Bernie's solo.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'm starting to think this might be a good idea for a new topic - maybe something along the lines of 'Shifting Boundaries (in Country and other Genres')? The change in the definition of country would be a good starting point but I wouldn't want to restrict it to that genre if the focus shifts to other styles of music.