Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate Felder's Top Ten Eagles Tracks.

Default Re: Rate Felder's Top Ten Eagles Tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Glenn wasn't a technically advanced player at that point, but the "fast" lick is a lot easier to play than it may sound.
    Yup.....make 'em think you're on fire with a simple fast lick lol...I love 'em.

Banned

I've amended my opinion. I no longer believe the opening, James Dean, guitar shredding to be Leadon. I watched the 1974 Kirshner show and it was played by Felder so I now think it's also Felder, un-credited, on the record.
    It could be Frey but I'd expect Glenn to be more tasteful and less showy. It really doesn't fit with the rest of the song. There's a real jolt when the vocals start. I'd prefer James Dean without it.

Joe does play Felder's part in post Felder versions of Already Gone, so I guess he could have played Felder's part for James Dean too, but even he can't save it imho.
    I guess Steuart Smith's style is closer to Leadon's which would explain Walsh playing Felder's part and Smith playing Leadon's.

When the Eagles brought Witchy Woman back into their setlist in 2001, it was a thrill to see Glenn playing the guitar solo as he did on the Eagles first LP.

Can anybody offer a top 5/10 from Felder's live set list. From the YouTube clips I've seen, they all sound, much of a muchness.

I love the guitar part. I think it's easier and less complicated and showy than it sounds. It's a cool lick, and I love that song and I like that sometimes. I prefer the Eagles when they were rockin' hard to their smoother side and it's a great example of an Eagles track I really dig.

Stuck on the Border

It's a fantastic intro, but what comes after it disappoints me. Always has. It's not that a bad song follows, but the intro and the song don't fit together. Something harder should follow. The intro would work better in Out Of Control.

Border Desperado

No one is mentioning Turn to Stone, live versions. I think it's Houston '76 and Capital Centre '77 where Joe and Felder have amazing solos and duet. Someone explained it on line like a mating ritual between the two guitars, but when Joe says, "My buddy, Don Felder's gonna play guitar for you...here ya go", Felder goes and goes and keeps on going. It's my favorite work of his ever.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    No one is mentioning Turn to Stone, live versions. I think it's Houston '76 and Capital Centre '77 where Joe and Felder have amazing solos and duet. Someone explained it on line like a mating ritual between the two guitars, but when Joe says, "My buddy, Don Felder's gonna play guitar for you...here ya go", Felder goes and goes and keeps on going. It's my favorite work of his ever.
    That Joe Walsh quote reminds me of the version from Seattle '75, though Houston '76 also does include it in the set.

My favourite version of Turn to Stone is the one from YCAWASM, which of course includes Felder on guitar and a superb flute solo by Joe Vitale.

Border Desperado

YCAWASM ?

Border Desperado

YCAWASM ?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    YCAWASM ?
    You Can't Argue Wtih A Sick Mind

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    @Freypower:

Valhalla
    Yes, I see. As I said to AG elswhere it's for Robert Plant's birthday on the 20th. Sorry to distract people but I have non-Eagles related signatures which I enjoy using occasionally. It occurred to me to make this after Iceland's superb performance at Euro 2016. The song is a masterpiece.

Back on topic...