Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Legacy Of The Eagles?

Default Re: The Legacy Of The Eagles?

Exquisite harmonies, beautiful iconic music, poetic lyrics, influential to other artists, and created/expanded a whole new genre of music: oh my my, no doubt they have a lasting legacy.

One thing that I have found appealing all these years is how intelligent they were, individually and as a group. They were and are all extremely smart men. And they expected us to be smart as well. They didn't dumb down their lyrics/music just to make a sale. They kept their music intelligent and well crafted and took us on the ride with them. I am forever grateful for the journey.

Oh yes, quite the legacy.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I think that what Eagles music was about was quality, rather than being innovative. Country rock was invented by other artists, but some of the 'classic' country albums are interesting - but the music isn't really wonderful. Eagles came along with albums packed full of excellent songs. Later on Eagles became more pop/rock which is even less innovative. But with their songwriting (including help), their musicianship, their vocals, and their production, they took styles developed by others and optimised them. Evolution, rather than revolution. But, without Eagles albums packed full of hits, would country rock really have become as popular as it did. Perhaps that is the legacy of Eagles: they did it right, rather than doing it first.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I think the Eagles are to country rock what Pink Floyd are to progressive rock - they weren't the first, and their contemporaries were more purist in their approach to that style of music, but their achievements ultimately eclipsed virtually all (if not all) of their peers. When I say achievements, I don't just mean that they were more commercially successful, but that they created more memorable songs which are played on classic rock radio alongside bands which perhaps seem to fit the stereotypical view of 'classic rock' better (The Stones, Zeppelin, Aerosmith etc.), and they still have many fans long after their respective genres went out of fashion. The Eagles and Floyd are probably my two favourite bands though, so you can take this with a pinch of salt!

I think one important element is that the Eagles were really good at everything. Their terrific harmony vocals are rightly praised, but there is so much more to them than that alone. Their harmonies often backing great lead vocals, and on top of this, they also had intelligent, quotable lyrics, wonderful melodies, great guitar parts and solos, their records had excellent production values and they could play and sing great live (the importance of the latter cannot be underestimated!). There are plenty of bands that excel at one or two things, but not so many that offer such a great all round package. I think this is why their music sounds so great still even though a lot of it is now over 40 years old, and why it still inspires so many people, musicians or otherwise.

With me I usually have a setlist when I practice. I do three sets. The first set is Eagles, Second Setl Lynyrd Skynyrd, Third Set Guns N Roses and occasionally O do some Beatles or Clapton.

For me playing diffrent parts with The Eagles songs is really fun.

So my Eagles setlist is usually

Hotel California
    New Kid In Town
    Witchy Woman or Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Lyin Eyes
    One Of These Nights or Tequila Sunrise
    Take It To The Limit
    I Cant Tell You Why
    Take It Easy
    Desperado

So that is my usual Eagles practice setlist and I always use live versions.

So If I am working on my voice I sing Glenn's Songs while playing Acousticly.

Witchy Woman I play Bernies Parts and Glenn's Solo
    Hotel California I always play Felders Part and Joes Intro.
    One Of These Nights I also Play Felders part.
    I Can't Tell You Why and Take it To The Limit I play bass and try to sing The Hihj Harmony Vocal but usually end up breaking my voice when getting to the Chourses

Desperado is just Acoustic and Backing Vocal.

That's what I love about the Eagles is I get to choose the pets because you have three guitar players so it's not limited