Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Legacy Of The Eagles?

Default The Legacy Of The Eagles?

Now they are no more. How will the Eagles inpact future generations?

Hotel California will always be the defining Eagles song imo. Even friends of mine who dont even listen to Rock have listend to the song and don't knoe anyrhjng else about thr band just that song.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

Default Re: The Legacy Of The Eagles?

Part of the Eagles' legacy is their beautiful harmony. It was one of a kind.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I totally agree about "Hotel California" and their harmonies being a huge part of it and also how they and other 70s artists helped create country music as it's own separate genre and subgenres. I think they'll end up being a staple of 70s music in general too to introduced younger kids too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Good topic travlman. I agree with what others have said, and I also think part of their legacy will be that they were one of the best-selling bands of all time. I need to give this some thought, but I'll probably add more later.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

I can't really see any lasting legacy of the Eagles. They were giants of the analog age, setting standards that very few could match.

Nowadays, digital technology has empowered a generation. Anyone can play and sing in tune, or at least appear to. In the digital era the Eagles are not that special. Their audience has grown up and grown old with them. They priced themselves out of the younger music fan market and they shun internet media outlets such as You Tube.

At the time of their demise, the Eagles were a heritage act, based in the 1970s. They made loads of money. The wealth they accumulated during their career means that their descendants or their estate, are probably unllikely to be tempted into extensive posthumous promotion. The record companies, which were also shunned by the Eagles, with the release of Long Road Out Of Eden, may not be too enthusiastic about promoting an obsolete Eagles either. So who's going to promote the Eagles in future, in the hyper competitive world of music media.?

I'm sure, Eagles fans will continue to enjoy their music for many years to come but in The Long Run, promotion over quality suggests that the Eagles are on Glenn's Prelude To Obscurity.

The only bright spark I see, is the number of Eagles devotees that regularly visit this site, who came to the band relatively late in their illustrious career. I'm sure it's not a relative sample of the entire music loving population but I still can't figure out what's behind it

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I can't really see any lasting legacy of the Eagles. They were giants of the analog age, setting standards that very few could match.
    I'd like to respectfully offer a different opinion. When I think of the word "legacy" I think of impacts that go beyond the band itself, i.e. those that influence future generations. So many musicians (more than I realized!) have talked about the influence of Eagles music. Of course we have the musicians featured on the Common Threads album, but it doesn't stop there. Younger artists such as Justin Timberlake and Niall Horan (of One Direction) have been influenced by their music as well.

I think this slide show is a good example of the wide reaching influence of the Eagles.
    http://www.gigwise.com/photos/105051...-of-glenn-frey
    This cross section of musicians, more than any characteristic of the band itself, ensures the legacy of the Eagles is safe for many years to come.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

Nowadays, digital technology has empowered a generation. Anyone can play and sing in tune, or at least appear to. In the digital era the Eagles are not that special. Their audience has grown up and grown old with them. They priced themselves out of the younger music fan market and they shun internet media outlets such as You Tube.

At the time of their demise, the Eagles were a heritage act, based in the 1970s. They made loads of money. The wealth they accumulated during their career means that their descendants or their estate, are probably unllikely to be tempted into extensive posthumous promotion. The record companies, which were also shunned by the Eagles, with the release of Long Road Out Of Eden, may not be too enthusiastic about promoting an obsolete Eagles either. So who's going to promote the Eagles in future, in the hyper competitive world of music media.?

I'm sure, Eagles fans will continue to enjoy their music for many years to come but in The Long Run, promotion over quality suggests that the Eagles are on Glenn's Prelude To Obscurity.

The only bright spark I see, is the number of Eagles devotees that regularly visit this site, who came to the band relatively late in their illustrious career. I'm sure it's not a relative sample of the entire music loving population but I still can't figure out what's behind it
    What you appear to be saying is that legacy is solely determined by promotion. There is something in this, I suppose. The Eagles were loved by fans, but disliked by critics, and it tends to be critics who decide what any legacy will be. We saw what happened in January when some revisionsists fell over themselves to declare once again how much they hated the band.

You say you can't figure out why people still come to this site. IT WAS THE SONGS. Most of them, at any rate, are why the band will be remembered. For me it was also their lead vocals, particularly those of Frey & Henley. I hope Austin won't mind me saying that for him it was their guitar sound.

The bottom line is I don't have a definitive answer but I do hope that younger musicians as mentioned above will continue to draw inspiration from the band.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree with what FWIW and to some extent what Freypower said. It is the influence they had on other musicians, as well as the quality of their catalog of songs that will be the band's legacy. I believe these songs will still be played many years from now, especially Take It Easy and Hotel California. Why? Because they resonate with the general public - all ages and all different musical tastes.The reasons that they are and were widely popular since 1972 is likely to be the same reasons their music will survive into 2072 and beyond. After all, as a wise gentleman once said, 'sometimes if you do a good enough job, you become a band for all time".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I have to agree with what FWIW and to some extent what Freypower said. It is the influence they had on other musicians, as well as the quality of their catalog of songs that will be the band's legacy. I believe these songs will still be played many years from now, especially Take It Easy and Hotel California. Why? Because they resonate with the general public - all ages and all different musical tastes.The reasons that they are and were widely popular since 1972 is likely to be the same reasons their music will survive into 2072 and beyond. After all, as a wise gentleman once said, 'sometimes if you do a good enough job, you become a band for all time".

Save

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Now they are no more. How will the Eagles inpact future generations?

Hotel California will always be the defining Eagles song imo. Even friends of mine who dont even listen to Rock have listend to the song and don't knoe anyrhjng else about thr band just that song.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I was looking for info about HC and came across this topic. The band's legacy will largely be defined by their influence on younger and future generations. I believe HC will be a large part of that. In my view, there are 3 songs (possibly 4) from their catalog that are on their way to becoming timeless classics. They are:

1. Hotel California--iconic, unique, world-famous, well-known for its guitar solos and mysterious lyrics, even those who barely know the band (or dislike it) are aware of this song. It even carries the cachet of being somewhat controversial back in the day. It is often one of the only Eagles songs to rank among the top classic rock song lists, including Spotify's "Most Immortal" playlist. And I've read (not heard) that is has been covered by acts from Nancy Sinatra to the Gypsy Kings. Plus, it's one of the most (if not the most) popular Eagles songs on YT.

2. Desperado--who would think that a Wild West ballad with a country vibe would have such wide appeal? Yet it is one of the most-covered songs in the Eagles catalog, even by a punk group like Me First and The Gimmie Gimmies. It consistently makes the top 5 of the best Eagles song lists. Its universal theme of giving in to love and rejecting loneliness will continue to resonate with future listeners as a stand-out track, IMO.

3. Take It to the Limit--another track that consistently makes the top 10 lists, if not the top 5. It is widely covered by numerous diverse acts from country, rock, pop and R&B genres. If the Eagles' legacy is to remain strong, this type of universal appeal will be an important factor. Like the other 2 songs I've listed, this is not a typical love song lament. Its meaning cuts deeper than that.

4. Take It Easy (?)-- this one I'm not sure about, but it would not be surprising if did become a "timeless classic." I just don't know if it's serious enough (for lack of a better word) to be one. Several country acts have covered it, as well as older rock acts in tribute to Glenn. Beyond that, I'm not sure if its long-standing influence. It still makes the top 10 lists on a consistent basis.

Of course, I don't have a crystal ball but this is my assessment from I've read and observed, while trying to be objective (fwiw, Desperado is not one of my favorite Eagles songs).

http://mashable.com/2015/01/18/class.../#UuycQLovukqP

http://www.guitarworld.com/artist-ne...st-songs/29058

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/2...ore-remain.htm

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-songs/

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/LedFlo...agles_songs/4/

And more lists are available.