Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Statue Unveiled at Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow, AZ- Sept 23

Default Re: Glenn Frey Statue Unveiled at Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow, AZ- Sep

Glenn is trending on facebook. Its about the statue.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Glenn Frey Statue Unveiled at Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow, AZ- Sep

I just checked their facebook and no clip of the unveiling ceremony that I could find. Anyone found anything?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

The finished product looks better than I thought it would. The song power shirt makes the statue be Glenn, imo, even if the statue isn't supposed to be Glenn.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Here are some of my thoughts about the trip to Winslow for Glenn’s statue dedication. My first thoughts were that if the event had happened as scheduled on Friday, how differently I would have felt. When I first heard about the statue dedication, my initial reaction was I wasn’t sure it was worth going if it was going to be a just brief dedication. However, once I learned that it was scheduled to be much more like a two and a half hour event, I was definitely excited and convinced that I wanted to be there. My plan was to spend as much time as I wanted there, take as many pictures as I wanted, leave some sentiment of my love and appreciation for Glenn, and hang out at the statue for as long as it felt right.

So, when the statue finally arrived at ten minutes before 11:00 on Saturday morning, I have to admit that I felt really cheated because I knew I wasn’t going to have the luxury of spending the precious moments as I had planned. Soda and I had figured that we needed to leave no later than 11:30 to drive back to Phoenix to make our flight (missing it was not an option since this was the final flight out for the day). So, instead of this being a reflective, cathartic memorial ceremony, the emotions that I felt were frustration, impatience, and disappointment. I also felt somewhat guilty because I was there, after all, whereas, many who had traveled a lot farther than we had didn’t get a chance to see it at all.

But still. In spite of my disappointment, I am very grateful I was there. And as I mentioned earlier, Soda and I were both pretty pleased with the statue - it definitely does more justice to Glenn in person. I don’t know now if I’d ever want to go back again or not. I have mixed feelings about it right now. In some ways, I have a very bad taste in my mouth about Winslow, AZ and the way this event was mishandled. I think it was very unprofessional of them not to have a backup plan to ensure that this event went off on schedule. It should have been very obvious to them that Eagles fans would be coming from many places throughout the world to attend this ceremony. And while they seemed somewhat embarrassed, my perception is that they were really insensitive about the true impact on fans. However, on the other hand, I do feel like I have some unfinished business there since all I got to do was get a brief glimpse of the statue before I had to hurry away.

I will say this about the City of Winslow, the Standin’ on the Corner Foundation, as well as the 100.7 KSLX DJs that made this happen. It is very evident that they have a deep love and appreciation for Glenn, the song Take It Easy, and the Eagles. We should all be very grateful to them for all of their dedication and hard work. They have provided Eagles fans with a living monument to the band that we can visit for many, many years to come. So, if you ever get the opportunity to go, I say do it. My hope is that this mishap is a lesson learned for them to be more appreciative, sensitive, and understanding towards Eagles fans so that, together, we can have a fertile and gratifying future to immortalize our beloved band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Dreamer pretty much expresses how I feel as well.

Retrospectively, not to be morbid, but it freaks me out a bit that I was standing on that corner with freaking pneumonia during this whole ceremony.

I also wish the ceremony had been a bit more about Glenn and a bit less self-congratulatory / self-promotional, but I guess in truth while they are honoring Glenn, the thing was more about pumping up Winslow than anything else. It makes a great deal of sense they'd want to thank all the donors, talk about the organization, talk about the town, talk about their personal journeys, etc., but I have to admit as I watched the clock tick down, all I could do was pray they got to Glenn before we had to leave.

Warning: Negative Nancy alert! Putting aside the lateness of the statue, the Saturday ceremony was also very amateurishly done. I won't go into too many details but it was obvious that the organizers and participants had no clear idea of who was going to do what and when, or even who was going to be there. Much time was wasted due to the confused, awkward fumbling that inevitably occurs when people are not following a coherent plan. I tried not to feel resentful when one of the DJs joked that it didn't matter how long it took - "An extra day, an extra hour, whatever." It felt like a big "screw you" to me and the people who had to leave without seeing it because of the delay, although to be fair I'm sure he didn't mean it that way. Honestly, if I hadn't been on such a time crunch, I probably wouldn't have cared so much about all the time wasted, but as it was... I cared a LOT.

Positive Nancy again: Tom, who runs one of the nearby gift stores and is the head of the Foundation, did seem genuinely regretful about the problems. He also seemed to be have a true appreciation of Glenn Frey as more than just "the guy who put Winslow on the map." He spent a good six minutes talking about Glenn's career all the way up to the History of the Eagles, which I appreciated. When he talked about how sad he was when he heard about Glenn dying, well, I think we all can relate to that. Several other members of the Foundation also appeared visibly moved. I did my best to focus on why I was there. It's all about Glenn.

All in all, I'm very glad they commissioned the statue. I applaud their efforts in that regard, as well as the money and time they put into it. It is quite special and I recommend Frey / Eagles fans visit it.

I took a few photos and some video. I'll crop myself out of them because I look wretched, and then upload what I can.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I am happy to hear that the statue does look better in person. And I agree Dreamer that the foundation & organizers should have had a back up plan. I cannot believe that the statue was not there in time for the initial ceremony. It had to be a disappointment to many fans especially the ones who traveled a great distance. But for the ones there, it did look like great fun!

I am planning to go next year as I do want to see the statue and also the meteorite crater that is nearby.

It's definitely worth a visit.

Some views of the statue (we couldn't stay to pose with it or wait until the crowds dispersed):

The speech about Glenn. Sorry it's so shaky! My hands were trembling and my balance was off.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEAsBFaFP8[/ame]

The actual unveiling

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNUSAvrJUoM[/ame]