Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Statue Unveiled at Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow, AZ- Sept 23

Default Re: Glenn Frey Statue Unveiled at Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow, AZ- Sep

I have the same problem as Houston Baby. I need a real reason to get off work, and I'm not going to lie. They ask where you will be on the form and why. Would they really understand "attending a memorial ceremony in Winslow, Arizona?" Methinks they would guess who it was for!

I rarely ask for time off and I can take care of getting a substitute by myself, so that's not a problem. Still, I've already asked for time off in October to attend my cousin's wedding. I'm still debating whether or not to try. I don't want to be perceived as weird since Glenn is not a family member or even a friend in the real sense of the word, although he feels like so much more than that to me.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Glenn Frey Statue Unveiled at Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow, AZ- Sep

I really want to go to this, but I haven't decided if I want to do it alone or not. A lot of things I don't mind doing by myself, but I don't know about this if no one else is able to go. Guess I have to make up my mind soon.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The sculptor gave Glenn a mullet.
    I wouldn't say that. A mullet is short on top & long at the back. This is the same length the way I see it.

Border Troubadour

I'd agree: the hair and mustache is pretty much spot on, I'm just not too sure about the face!

Would love to go to this. I have wanted to see Winslow for ages and all of Glennsallnighter's pictures made it even more so. Wondering if I can justify the money for a flight/car rental/motel and all the other assorted expenses. Can't believe I am even thinking it might be possible. Lol

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    The people who are creating the statue posted about it on Facebook, and they included a photo of the the head. It's 70s Glenn.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1175864943

I think it's pretty good, but I'd prefer his long hair hanging down on the sides instead of pushed behind his ear. They have a long way to go to get this done by then too!

I heard about this on sirius radio and figured someone had posted about it here! Wonderful idea for the city to do! Glenn owns that song as much as Jackson, imo!

I hope someone here gets to go. I know I can't.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Here's some more about the statue and the event. They say they will probably stream the ceremony.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...57&pnref=story

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Fingers crossed! I hope so!!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I have the same problem as Houston Baby. I need a real reason to get off work, and I'm not going to lie. They ask where you will be on the form and why. Would they really understand "attending a memorial ceremony in Winslow, Arizona?" Methinks they would guess who it was for!

I rarely ask for time off and I can take care of getting a substitute by myself, so that's not a problem. Still, I've already asked for time off in October to attend my cousin's wedding. I'm still debating whether or not to try. I don't want to be perceived as weird since Glenn is not a family member or even a friend in the real sense of the word, although he feels like so much more than that to me.
    This is my problem too. To get to the unveiling I would need to take Thursday and Friday off work that week and we are only just back. If I want ANY hope of getting to LA in January I will probably have to pass up on this one.

An added complication is that our teaching council have sent us letters saying in a nutshell that basically ANYONE can complain about us if we act in an unethical / irresponsible etc manner inside or outside of our jobs. Nobody is exactly sure what the guidelines are here but basically if a parent ( or even a colleague) got wind of the word that I was taking time off to travel I could be at the wrong end of a disciplinary hearing. I would be happy to take unpaid but I want to keep that option open for LA if I need it.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    This is my problem too. To get to the unveiling I would need to take Thursday and Friday off work that week and we are only just back. If I want ANY hope of getting to LA in January I will probably have to pass up on this one.

An added complication is that our teaching council have sent us letters saying in a nutshell that basically ANYONE can complain about us if we act in an unethical / irresponsible etc manner inside or outside of our jobs. Nobody is exactly sure what the guidelines are here but basically if a parent ( or even a colleague) got wind of the word that I was taking time off to travel I could be at the wrong end of a disciplinary hearing. I would be happy to take unpaid but I want to keep that option open for LA if I need it.

GA - If I have a vote and you can only do one of the trips, my selfish vote is for you to take off in January! It would be great to see you again! And you have to go to Joshua Tree National Park with us!
    Last edited by Houston Baby; 08-25-2016 at 09:54 PM.