Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh - MUD ISLAND AMPHITHEATRE - August 13th, 2016

Default Joe Walsh - MUD ISLAND AMPHITHEATRE - August 13th, 2016

Soda and I just got back from Memphis.

It was one helluva show. I was not disappointed. I will probably talk more when I get home later today.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Joe Walsh - MUD ISLAND AMPHITHEATRE - August 13th, 2016

So happy for you Shun and Soda!!! Can't wait to hear more!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

It was a great show, although hot as anything! I snagged a copy of the setlist:

He didn't do "All Night Long", however. Has he ever done both encores this tour? I guess since he didn't get started until 9:10, he didn't have time.

I got some photos as well. I'll post them in a bit!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well, my photos are less than impressive (I took them with my phone) but here they are:

Joe had quite a colorful shirt, as you can see in the first one!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

It was a great show! It was my girlfriend's birthday so it was extra special to get to meet him and have him wish her a Happy Birthday!

The weather turned out perfect - a little warm but not bad at all for Memphis in the middle of August!!

We had front row seats in the center and it was awesome!!

Next month is my birthday and we are going to see Timothy at City Winery in Nashville.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I liked Joe's shirt. Since Memphis basically is the home of blues(they are also say that about Mississippi), it was nice of him to honor the African culture or is it African American. I don't know, but that was nice of him. It was something different from design t-shirts.

I think I saw you two. I was center but row 11. It was cool that I was dead enter row 11.

What can I say. It was a freaking awesome show. I was not disappointed. Joe sounded great. It was interesting to finally hear that unusual singing voice Joe has and its not bad when you're hearing it in person.

I'll start with seeing Memphis. I drove to where Soda lives and we drove to Memphis together. We live three hours away from each other and we live in different parts of the state. I live in the central part of the state and she's more north. Its cool to have a fellow Eagle fan in the same state. So we left her apartment a little after 10am. We played Joe's music when we drove there and back. We were getting in the mood by listening to Joe's music. I do that too when I'm going to a show. I thought I was the only one who does that. LOL

First we went to Beale Street which was nice. First thing we did was ate. LOL We ate at Hard Rock Cafe. This was my second time to ever eat at a Hard Rock Cafe restaurant. Great food. I saw B.B. King's club across the street.I've been to Memphis, but I really haven't seen the city. So this was my first time seeing Memphis.

We saw Eagles related stuff everywhere we went. Soda took me to a record store where she got a few posters from. They had soo many different posters of other artists. She found an old The Long Run tour poster from 1979. Of course its a copy, but it was cool. I bought it.

It was Elvis week. So we saw a lot of Elvis Impersonators and I saw a lot of Elvis fans walking around.

We went to Landsky and found Glenn's guitar there. If you go there, you have to go the Men's store. There's three different stores and its located at the Peabody Hotel. Soda got that picture. We saw a few Elvii there. (A little joke from an interview Don did when he got an award)

We went Memphis Rock & Soul museum where we found of Glenn Frye in the case(They had a picture where they spelled Glenn's name wrong, but lower right hand corner, his name was spell right) we also found Joe in there. I pointed out to Soda. We went around the museum found Please Come Home For Christmas/Funky New Year on the jukebox. Which was cool. I went by the jukebox, but didn't pay attention to what songs were on there. Joe was at the end on a list of people I guess who was in Memphis and that recorded there. Soda probably can explain that one.

We then went to the coffee shop to kill time because they had closed Mud Island at 4:00pm. I think and we decided to leave to kill time.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-15-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Now onto the pre-show recap. Of course it started to rain as we were waiting to get on the monorail to go the amphitheatre. They weren't letting anybody go to the amphitheatre except the VIP people. They let us go into the building when it started to rain, but they told us we would had to go back outside the gate when it stopped. So it was muggy and rainy. We thought they weren't going to let us in the building because they were trying to get the VIP person situated. So we basically weren't important.

A little after 6:30pm, they finally let us go across to the amphitheatre. The place was wonderful and a great setup. The seat were going on a downard slant(slope). So their wasn't a problem with tall people in front of you blocking your view. Their wasn't a bad seat anywhere. Even the people who had the 49.50 tickets had a great view. The rain stayed away. IT was suppose to be 50%, but it never came which was a blessing. I did have my poncho ready if it did start raining during the show. Soda and I ate half of a funnel cake, and said our goodbyes until the end of the show since we were in two different section. I was in C and I think she said she was in B.

Like Soda said it was freaking hot. No. Let me rephrase that. It was soo freaking muggy. It really wasn't hot, it was just soo muggy. I've been to a few outdoor concerts, but this was worse. I should be use to this kind of weather since I live in the south, but Memphis was different. Since we were further down, we couldn't feel the breeze from the Mississippi. It could come and go throughout the night. I luckily had my fan in my purse so I was basically fanning all night to stay cool.

It was actually a pack house with a few seats available. Before I left for Memphis, I checked on Friday to see how the tickets sells were going. It was looking bad and half the tickets weren't even sold, but I guess people bought them on Saturday because it was a full house. I saw a lot of Mississippi tags. So I guess we weren't the only one from Mississippi there. LOL

Now on to the show. JD & Straight Shot came on right at 8:00 and ended at around 8:45. So we waited as they setup the stage for Joe. I saw Joe Vitale walked from the side of the building down the stairs. Then I saw Joe pulled up in his limo.

Now Joe's show. Wow is all I can say. The show was awesome. Joe came on around 9:10 or 9:15. I can't remembered. It was almost over before 11:00pm. Like others said, Joe had on an African like colorful shirt. So Joe was probably paying tribute the African heritage since Memphis is the home of the blues (even though we in Mississippi also claim that title. LOL), but I loved his shirt. It was something from his design t-shirt.

The setlist. Soda already posted the setlist. Its about the same list he had. The songs that I was very impress by Joe's playing was Turn To Stone, The Bomber and Rocky Mountain Way(mostly the talkbox solo). Mother Says was very interesting. I would hear Mother Says on Pandora and IHeart Radio, but I forgot it was two or three different songs going on just like The Bomber.

The solo at the end of In The City was shorter than what he played with the Eagles. Funk 49 was very weird. Instead of a guitar solo after the first verse, the road crew and backup singers dance in the front and gave away t-shirts. It was weird, but funny. Soda and I were talking about one of Joe's backup singers who had on very high heels(and half naked. If you think Don's backup singers dresses are too short, you should see Lois' clothes) dancing and running around the stage. We don't know how she did. LOL

Joe did play Take It To The Limit which I knew he would. Joe did a great job on the song. Rickey Washington did a great job on the second verse. It was cool to hear Joe's version of Take It To The Limit in person. Soda and I were talking about if Joe was going to drop that song later. I told her he probably will keep that song in his setlist for a while. I also recorded Take It To The Limit. I recorded a few songs on my phone.

I was very impress with Joe's two drummers, Joe V and I can't remembered the other guy's name. They both were in sync. I don't know how they do it. I know they both would either play different parts or the same thing in sync. I always wonder why Joe has two drummers. Waddy was amazing. Boy that guy got some very curly hair. Him and Joe V it was good to see in person. You hear so much good stuff about them that you had to hear it from yourself.

Joe plays an amazing guitar. That guy can play. I can see why he's on those list of best guitar players. Its good to be there in person seeing Joe tear it up on the solos instead of seeing it on Youtube. I was soo impress. His singing was great. The backup singers were great. It was good to see Waddy and Joe Vitale.

I give the show a 10. I'm so glad Joe finally came down to the south. I didn't think he would ever come down here. It was soo worth it. The only thing I was disappointed in was the show was too short. He played only 11 songs, but other than that. I really enjoyed myself. I hate I didn't know some of the words. I knew all the songs that were played. I just I didn't know some of the words. The only songs I knew by heart was Take It To The Limit, In The City, Funk 49, Life's Been Good, Life in the Fast Lane, and Rocky Mountain Way. I didn't know Analog Man, Mother Says, and The Bomber by heart, but I knew some of the verses.

As I told Soda yesterday before I left her. I think this was my very first rock concert. The closest I've been to a rock concert was Kenny Loggins, but he mostly sings pop/rock than rock. I usually go to country shows that's nearby and sometimes popular rock, pop or even country artists don't come to Jackson or Mississippi that much.

I want to thank Soda for being a great host. I had so much fun. Also thank you for the files.

I will post pictures when I get home from work. The pictures might not be too good. I had forgotten my camera at home and I had to use my phone. I didn't use the flash out of respect of the artists because I didn't want to blind them with the flash. I couldn't get a good picture of Joe's face, but it was still clear. I can't wait until Iphone 7 comes out so it can be better. LOL

My very first Eagles related show was an amazing and a night I won't forget. Now on to saving to see Don in January. Now that's the concert I'm definitely looking forward to.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-16-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I'm so happy you finally had a chance to see one of the guys !! I've only seen Don as a solo artist, and I know you will enjoy that, too !! It's great you and Soda had the opportunity to meet. I will hopefully get my chance sometime !!

Hi everybody.

My phone stopped working yesterday and I didn't have time to post my pictures. I was trying to transfer my new phone to my old phone so I can have a phone. Thank goodness my pictures from this weekend is still here and all my information, but I don't remember if I did anymore videos other than Take It To the Limit(which I still have). Its weird that my phone was ok this weekend, but when I got home it wouldn't charge and it finally died. Luckily I had my other phone I didn't give back when I bought a new phone last year.