Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Will they play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    "Nepotism Incorporated" 2009

Jet Airliner
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8xeQWBZL4U

Hotel California
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2_71tIOMw

Gemma Corfield has posted the whole set; https://www.youtube.com/user/gemmaco...lf_id=1&view=0
    Looking at Jet Airliner. One thing I love(d) about Glenn is that he was so into the music even when he was playing a supporting role. When somebody else was singing, Glenn wasn't making "look, I'm here too" movements and trying to make contact with the audience. He was totally into the song. You can see what I'm talking about at 1:02 mark in the Jet Liner clip. I've seen that before and I love it.

LOL! Glenn was such a card!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thank for posting that link UTW ( seems like I say that a lot, but you and our other members research efforts are truly appreciated! ) This was a fantastic interview. It also offers me a glimmer of hope that we may eventually see the band join together again in the only way it could, IMO. Of course, no one can or will ever replace Glenn, but, for me, Deacon stepping in to perform his father's songs is about the only scenario that I can envision myself wanting to see. I am glad that Don agrees with me. Hopefully, it is something that Deacon would be able and willing to do sometime down the road, but I don't want to get my hopes too high at this point - time will tell.

And F50 - thanks for the 'Nepotism Incorporated' videos. I was at that show with Soda and WildThyme and it was wonderful. You can see Soda in the videos - we were right at Glenn's feet and Soda can be seen dancing up a storm. I couldn't spot myself or WildThyme - I think we were too short to make it from that angle. Deacon was very young then, but definitely has a lot of talent.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

What I'm about to post is only my opinion.

I know Deacon would have big shoes to fill to step into his father's shoes, but I think Deacon might say yes if Don ask him and if the guys decide to go back on the road together down the road. IMO I think it would happen even if its next year or in two years. I know I would go.

OF course nobody and I mean nobody can replace Glenn, but Deacon probably knows that and he knows he would have big shoes to fill if Don and the others decided to do that.

It is interesting that Don thought of that, but like all of us. We are still in the healing process. WE all still in the I can't believe he's gone phase.

KCH will definitely a sad and bittersweet night knowing we might not see them together again for a while.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 09-11-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I was in a way surprised by Don's suggestion about Deacon but I too feel like he would be the only one that could. I don't know if he would which is why I was surprised Don said that. Going by how long it took Dhani Harrison to be ok with singing his father George's songs after the "Concert for George" I didn't even think of Deacon filling in. Dhani's more comfortable with it now and even hosts "Georgefest" and I've heard him perform a lot of Beatles and his father's solo songs now. It is eerie too as Dhani not only resembles his father but his singing voice is almost identical, which is also why I think it took him a long time to be ok with it. But it's different for everyone. I agree with Shun too if it were to happen I would go too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Kudos to Deacon that Don thinks he has the talent to play with the Eagles. We all know how high their standards are!

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I was in a way surprised by Don's suggestion about Deacon but I too feel like he would be the only one that could. I don't know if he would which is why I was surprised Don said that. Going by how long it took Dhani Harrison to be ok with singing his father George's songs after the "Concert for George" I didn't even think of Deacon filling in. Dhani's more comfortable with it now and even hosts "Georgefest" and I've heard him perform a lot of Beatles and his father's solo songs now. It is eerie too as Dhani not only resembles his father but his singing voice is almost identical, which is also why I think it took him a long time to be ok with it. But it's different for everyone. I agree with Shun too if it were to happen I would go too.
    I was thinking back on when Deacon sing and played with I think it was JD at his father's memorial service this past February. It was probably so hard for Deacon to sing and play at his father's memorial, but he made it through. He didn't have to do it, but he did. That's why I think Deacon might do it. He probably would think its an honor to sing and play with the guys he basically knew all his life. Don must see something in Deacon to even suggest him.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Dhani didn't sing lead on any of George's songs. He sang backup. I know that he has sung these songs since but I don't think it's an analogy I would care to use. Glenn had a far stronger, more powerful voice than George did.

Deacon is not his father, nor was he meant to be. If this is to occur I would only wish for a one off tribute performance. I could not envisage a tour & I'm not in favour of it. That is my view & now I will refrain from further comment on this issue. It hurts me too much to even be discussing such a thing.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    That's an interesting comment by Don H. I wouldn't hold out expectations for anything happening too soon, but it doesn't sound as if it's impossible. T'would be a fair amount of pressure on Frey junior, however. As others said, big shoes to fill.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

AT - I agree with you that this isn't anything that will happen anytime in the near future, nor would I want it to ... it's still way too soon for that, IMHO. But, down the road, maybe this time next year or in 2018, it may be something I'd look forward to. I agree it would be some pressure on Deacon, but he has seen his father on stage since he was born, so I think in that sense, I don't see it as a huge adjustment. As I said in my earlier post, Glenn can never be replaced in the band nor do I think this would be an attempt to do so. It would never be the same, but if anyone can stand in for him and perform his songs, for me, Deacon is the only acceptable choice. I wouldn't envision this being a world tour or anything on that scale, but rather a mini tribute tour to honor Glenn and the band.

In any event, at this point, it is pure speculation so we'll just have to take a 'wait and see' attitude.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016