Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: alternate album covers

Default Re: alternate album covers

Quote Originally Posted by alreadygone View Post
    also, the HC picture came out probably after the album was released. If this was the fall of 1976, you would want a picture that you had at the time. I think the picture I used as a HC alternate was taken before the album was released and hence could have been used.
    I think the award was for their greatest hits. Didn't Randy leave as soon the album was released?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    I think the award was for their greatest hits. Didn't Randy leave as soon the album was released?
    Randy left in late 1977 while the band was touring for HC.

OP: I like the alternative versions of On The Border and The Long Run the best.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Album covers with band photos are often cut'n'paste jobs anyway, so if one member looks bad in a photo, they could have used another photo of him. The first photo works as it is. Glenn could have been replaced with "another Glenn" in the On The Border picture (not because he looks bad, but somehow his posture and facial expression don't work well enough with the others for an album cover IMO). The OOTN pic is fine. They definitely should have used another shot of Joe in the Hotel California pic - if it had become the cover. The Long Run pic is fine as it is. Glenn, especially, looks awesome there.
    Last edited by chaim; 08-21-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I never really thought about which group photos for covers they would've used but I'm loving seeing all the pics posted.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Desperado

Does anyone know why the band is on the cover of the Desperado Album? It seems out of place against the rest of the albums. They aren't on the cover of any others, even the greatest hits albums or the Live Album.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I've never heard them say, so this is purely speculation but the whole metaphor of "rock musicians as outlaws" was perfectly illustrated by the boys themselves in their Wild West get-ups. A more abstract cover wouldn't quite tell the story, or even adequately hint at it.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I've never heard them say, so this is purely speculation but the whole metaphor of "rock musicians as outlaws" was perfectly illustrated by the boys themselves in their Wild West get-ups. A more abstract cover wouldn't quite tell the story, or even adequately hint at it.
    I think that you are correct, NMB. I had the same thoughts.

Border Troubadour

I'd concur, the image on the back of them all lying dead with their management above them is especially relevant to the concept of the album I think.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The critics would have accused them on trading on their good looks to rope in the girlies.
    Evidence all over this forum suggests that girlies have been roped in.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Ha ha, true. In my defense: I only liked their music for many years. Didn't succumb to Randy's good looks until two years ago. Blame HOTE, not their album covers.