Page 70 of 140 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

BS - Good Luck !

Banned

Cool Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Those of you who are going to college: forget it.

With few exceptions, you'll graduate (likely with excellent grades), only to discover that there Are. No. Jobs. Period.

We live in a college town -20,000 or so students, and growing every day. Many of those students, upon graduation, discover that they'll be working as a desk clerk in a Ramada Inn, or staffing the counter as a junior teller in a bank. Possibly for years.

Sure, you could obtain a doctorate in some arcane discipline, ensuring that you will have a lucrative and enjoyable future. But remember: you will be competing against the entire world's best and brightest. There are a finite number of PhD positions available, and that number is likely to decrease, as the worldwide economy stumbles on the brink, and funding for science and technology dries up. And the people running the U.S. these days are of such a mindset that they believe gravity is optional.

Anyway, I have a couple of alternative ideas, ways you can make it financially without the expense and difficulties of a college education:

1) Marry someone who is very wealthy. This is a guaranteed shortcut to… well, to great wealth. If you can put up with four years of advanced chemistry, or surrealist Latin American fiction, you can surely put up with a life partner who is a royal pain in the wazoo.

2) If marriage to a multimillionaire is just too mercenary for your taste, try being adopted by one. That, way you don't have to deal with the annoyances and intimacy of actually living with someone you actively dislike. Just show up on birthdays and holidays, and you're good to go.

3) Finally, you can learn underwater welding. There is, and always will be, a huge demand for those who can weld things together on the ocean floor, due in part to the fact that it's an extremely dangerous way to make a living. Last time I checked, the pay for a journeyman, certified underwater welding tech was somewhere around $100 per hour, and steadily rising. Why waste all those years studying law or medicine when you could be enjoying yourself in the depths of the ocean?

So there you have it; three shortcuts to wealth, and you don't even have to buy a semester parking permit. You don't have to thank me; just send me a fat check when the money starts rolling in.

@penumbra

You mildly amused me, since it's so ridiculous that you can't be serious.

I ended up taking the econ demography for a grade and will try for the intermediate accounting class in the fall.

Banned

Cool Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Just a bit of satire...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    Those of you who are going to college: forget it.

With few exceptions, you'll graduate (likely with excellent grades), only to discover that there Are. No. Jobs. Period.

We live in a college town -20,000 or so students, and growing every day. Many of those students, upon graduation, discover that they'll be working as a desk clerk in a Ramada Inn, or staffing the counter as a junior teller in a bank. Possibly for years.

Sure, you could obtain a doctorate in some arcane discipline, ensuring that you will have a lucrative and enjoyable future. But remember: you will be competing against the entire world's best and brightest. There are a finite number of PhD positions available, and that number is likely to decrease, as the worldwide economy stumbles on the brink, and funding for science and technology dries up. And the people running the U.S. these days are of such a mindset that they believe gravity is optional.

Anyway, I have a couple of alternative ideas, ways you can make it financially without the expense and difficulties of a college education:

1) Marry someone who is very wealthy. This is a guaranteed shortcut to… well, to great wealth. If you can put up with four years of advanced chemistry, or surrealist Latin American fiction, you can surely put up with a life partner who is a royal pain in the wazoo.

2) If marriage to a multimillionaire is just too mercenary for your taste, try being adopted by one. That, way you don't have to deal with the annoyances and intimacy of actually living with someone you actively dislike. Just show up on birthdays and holidays, and you're good to go.

3) Finally, you can learn underwater welding. There is, and always will be, a huge demand for those who can weld things together on the ocean floor, due in part to the fact that it's an extremely dangerous way to make a living. Last time I checked, the pay for a journeyman, certified underwater welding tech was somewhere around $100 per hour, and steadily rising. Why waste all those years studying law or medicine when you could be enjoying yourself in the depths of the ocean?

So there you have it; three shortcuts to wealth, and you don't even have to buy a semester parking permit. You don't have to thank me; just send me a fat check when the money starts rolling in.

Out on the Border BerniesSurfboard's Avatar

My wife supports me. There, I said it. What on Earth was she thinking!?

Things are going ok. I have an appointment to see my ENT about getting permanent T-Tube ear tubes put in. I've had the temporary grommets before but they fell out and now I'm getting sinus infections and fluid in them again. Looking at possible sinus surgery too, if it doesn't clear up soon. Just finishing antibiotics.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh my. Good luck, Austin.

Geez. I was feeling sorry for myself because my A/C broke last week and as usual it's sweltering in Steam City. Puts things in perspective.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Austin, good luck. I hope this will help!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Good luck, Austin.

I just got some good news today - I'm being promoted to Associate Professor!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten