Page 113 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1396

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Kim, so glad to hear from you again.
    Sorry this has been such a very challenging year for you, but so happy for you that you are recovered from pneumonia and graduation is relatively near! I remember how you worked so hard in the beginning to make this happen and it's so fantastic that you were able to stick to it, despite all obstacles!
    Continued best wishes as you complete your physical therapy and your education goals! 👍

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    Kim, so glad to hear from you again.
    Sorry this has been such a very challenging year for you, but so happy for you that you are recovered from pneumonia and graduation is relatively near! I remember how you worked so hard in the beginning to make this happen and it's so fantastic that you were able to stick to it, despite all obstacles!
    Continued best wishes as you complete your physical therapy and your education goals! 👍
    Thanks, Tracy. That week in the hospital and 2+ week recovery at home nearly did me in. I've never been so sick in my life; for a while, until the antibiotics kicked in, I had doubts about leaving the hospital. Plus, just as the doctors finally straightened out the antibiotics (ie: once my kidney levels became elevated), a routine EKG showed signs of a freaking heart attack! Luckily, my cardiologist ruled it to be a machine malfunction, but the pneumonia has played havoc with my heart rate, so I'm now on a low dose beta blocker, possibly for the rest of my life.
    I've never had that young and invincible mentality, but after this, I'm grateful to still be here. If I hadn't have gone to the ER when I did, there's a good chance that the sepsis would have been the end of me. It took three antibiotics (including the kidney damaging one) and 25 or so bags of fluid before I was well enough to come home (had to flush out my kidneys to repair the damage). Even now, I tire easily and am still short of breath sometimes (my lung function is not the same anymore), which affects my ability to constantly do work. It's also made me rethink some parts of my lifestyle.

I got incompletes in all of my spring classes, and completed the work over summer break. My professors are amazing, and they completely understood. Even now, they'll ask me how I'm doing, and if I tell them that it's a rough day, I get told to just take it easy and to never worry about due dates (there's only a few professors who I take classes with now. I do not abuse this privilege, but I will use it when needed).
    I go back to one of my orthopedic doctors on the 23rd. We may end up changing the type of therapy I receive to better suit my needs. I'm in a walking boot if my foot hurts too much, to take the pressure off.

I'm hopeful for a much better 2021.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Glad to hear from you, Kim. I'm sorry you have had so many challenges this year, but, hopefully, you will continue to make progress. I admire your tenacity.

And, I think it's safe to say, most everyone is crossing our fingers and toes for a better 2021.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks, Dreamer. My philosophy has always been to never stop fighting and to get back up when knocked down.

One positive thing that I totally forgot to mention is that I now have a little nephew, who will turn 6 months old on the 17th. 2020 hasn't been all bad; this is my silver lining.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Kim, it really is good to hear from you again. You are so much more confident. It seems like no time since you were hesitant about applying for college and now you are close to graduation. To manage this amid health problems makes it even more impressive.

Despite all the Covid gloom, 2020 hasn't been too bad for me. My adult sons have been back living with us since March and we all seem to rub along. Luckily, all four of us (me, husband and two sons) are able to work from home and we have enough space such that we aren't getting in each others way - except with laundry. It's a bit like when they were at school except I don't have to nag about homework. I end up with most of the cooking and clearing up and the house is getting messier and dirtier as the weeks go on but there's nobody but us to be bothered by it.

I find that I have become more selfish and inward-looking. In the summer, I decided to put my health first and I try to cook healthy food for me rather than what I think the others would like. I also start each day with 30-45 minutes of exercise. As a result, I'm fitter, slimmer and healthier than in a long time and it gives me structure to my days. I don't understand why but I pension fund has grown during the pandemic and I could afford to retire but there doesn't seem much point until I am free to travel the world. I haven't been able to see any of my brothers and sister since January as they all live in different countries, so when I can, I want to visit them as well as see all those places I've never had time. I really want to visit my home town in Wales and see friends there. I will enjoy making (loose) plans.

I read about how people are having such a hard time during the pandemic and I feel guilty yet distanced. I hope something positive will come out of this as we have all learned that we can do without many things we had thought we essential.

Thanks, UtW! I feel more confident. Congrats on the healthier lifestyle. There's always some sort of silver lining in the bad things that happen.

I had a follow-up with one of my orthopedic doctors earlier this morning. I'm to continue physical therapy into the new year (I am seeing positive results). I'll also have a nerve test done on January 18th to see if any nerves have been damaged due to my cerebral palsy or the injury I sustained in late September.
    -Kim-

That's awesome, AG! I'm also seeing a physical therapist for my cerebal palsy, and hopfully well into the new year too. Hey good luck with yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Elle81 View Post
    That's awesome, AG! I'm also seeing a physical therapist for my cerebal palsy, and hopfully well into the new year too. Hey good luck with yours!
    Thanks, Elle. I really needed the therapy. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of CP do you have? I have spastic hemiplegia (the kind that affects one side), and it's my left side that is affected. Luckily, I have little trouble with daily tasks and live a practically fully independent life.
    -Kim-

Same, it affect my right leg mostly. I found out I have hip dysplasia and that's the main reason I have a hard time standing for a long time or walking a great distance.
    And although I have a sharp mind, it seems like the wires in my brain are hooked up, just not to the right input. Math and foreign language are particularly hard to master. And I also have a lisp, so speech and language have always been difficult for me. And yet I'm a writer!

Quote Originally Posted by Elle81 View Post
    Same, it affect my right leg mostly. I found out I have hip dysplasia and that's the main reason I have a hard time standing for a long time or walking a great distance.
    And although I have a sharp mind, it seems like the wires in my brain are hooked up, just not to the right input. Math and foreign language are particularly hard to master. And I also have a lisp, so speech and language have always been difficult for me. And yet I'm a writer!

This almost sounds me. Walking long distances is a chore. I have ADHD and anxiety, so I've always learned differently. I'm very book smart, but I have trouble with verbal communication. (I'm a great writer, though). I've had some difficulty with math, but I believe I've finished taking math classes. I'm so grateful for the rules that allow me to have the extra help/time, when need be. I'll probably end up working as professor, a museum curator, or for the government in some capacity. I need a somewhat cushy job, given my issues.
    -Kim-