Page 123 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1396

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Kim, I hope your infection clears up soon. It's shocking that a tooth infection has done all this damage to you. You've worked so hard to get your education that I'm sure you will get though (and it sounds like the professors will make sure you do, too).

Shun, congratulations on the promotion and the successful eye operation.

Elle, I hope you are able to focus on your priorities and ignore the other annoyances.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Kim, I hope your infection clears up soon. It's shocking that a tooth infection has done all this damage to you. You've worked so hard to get your education that I'm sure you will get though (and it sounds like the professors will make sure you do, too).

Shun, congratulations on the promotion and the successful eye operation.

Elle, I hope you are able to focus on your priorities and ignore the other annoyances.
    Thanks, UTW. I'm trying to. It's all good, though. Karma will eventually come around and give those who deserve it a heaping spooonful.

So I went to the doctor today and found out I have carpal tunnel in not one, but both hands! So now I'm wearing braces on both wrists. But hey, at least I actually got to see a member of my medical staff (last time, who I saw was a member of the urgent care staff) And we discussed carpal tunnel surgery and long term treatment like physical therapy.

I quit my job at Amazon. Too much drama there. I would constantly get barked at by the supervisor, even though I do the job right. But she wouldn't fire this one guy who would half ass his job, and was constantly on his phone instead of working. I swear she is bipolar because she would snap at me and then turn around and say nice things. She plays favorites with some of the workers and yells at the rest. Back on Wednesday, she pointed to my wrist braces and said (in a tone that reminded me of Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest) "If this is going to be a problem, I'm going to need written proof from your doctor of what you can and can't do"
    Umm...my doctor pretty much told me to stop doing work that required using my hands. So I quit on Thursday and on Friday I talked to my temp agency and discussed filing for worker's compensation, considering that I got injured on the job. The temp agency said the worker's comp would pay for surgery and physical therapy. So that's good.

At least I won't be unemployed for too long. My old boss at the security job texted me and asked if I wanted to work a six day event at the convention center starting on Monday. I said yes, I miss working for them. And now with Salt Lake opening things back up, there will be a whole bunch of events for us to work.
    Last edited by Elle81; 05-20-2021 at 11:25 PM.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Looks like things are looking up for you Elle! I hope it continues for you!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Looks like things are looking up for you Elle! I hope it continues for you!
    Thanks, GA! I hope so too.

AG95 - I'm so sorry to hear this. Get well soon.

Elle81 - I wish you best of luck at the security gig. There are certainly horror stories about Amazon as a workplace.

Shun - Congrats on the promotion!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

This year isn't looking too great for me sadly. I have some news about my foot saga, but first a couple updates.

We lost our boxer Gibson in March. He was 10.5 years old and our baby and only dog at that point. He developed congestive heart failure and died at home suddenly a week after being diagnosed. It has been really hard to get used to not having an inside dog. I've had one since I was 12 and I'm now 32. Prior to that we had outside dogs. I love my cats too, I'm really a cat and dog person, they both fill a different void in my heart and I need both vibes. The house is eerily quiet without our 80 pound boy running around like the goofball he always was. As a family we have decided that we will likely not have another dog. It's been very hard. It may change in the distant future but considering our current situation, we feel it is best as a collective. It doesn't make it any easier for me. It has been a rough transition. Again, I love my cats. But I miss also having at least one dog. At one point we had 4 inside dogs. For many years, actually. Sadly, one by one they all passed and Gibbers was our last one. I really was hoping he'd see 11 or 12.

Last night I got word one of my good friends, Dan, who is a bandmate and someone i've played music with for a few years now, passed in a motorcycle wreck. It was a big shock to hear and I'm certainly going to miss him. It's a very sad situation. He played bass at every Ausfest we had and sang with his wife Shaila who played keyboard.

And for what will be the final foot St. Louis update. I have an answer. I had a spinal stroke/blood clot in my sleep go down my spinal cord and bust at the lowest level possible on the right side only and it took out the motor nerve from the knee down on that side. That is what caused the dead foot/drop foot. It injured the sensory nerve to the point of causing pain. The pain might not be permanent, in fact it might heal in a couple years. Right now I'm taking 300mg of Lyrica to keep it at bay. Sadly though, the motor nerve is totally dead and is not recoverable. When it first happened I could wiggle my big toe only. Now I cannot even do that. It probably did get worse over a week or so until the nerve was completely destroyed. What this means is that I will forever have motor paralysis from the knee down on the right leg. I can feel, which is really weird.

I will be having surgery June 9th to reconfigure my ankle tendons and ligaments and muscles to provide support and to hopefully make it so I can perhaps walk without the leg AFO brace. If this fails, I will likely need an actual permanent ankle fusion with plates and screws to make it in a rigid L shape. We are starting with the easier and less permanent option of tendon transfers and reconstruction. It's outpatient, but under regular anesthesia so I won't feel anything or be awake. I will have 6 weeks roughly of no weight bearing and use a knee scooter, and then 2 weeks of rehab on the part of my upper leg that still works. The upper part has become deconditioned and atrophied due to not using it and I need my upper leg to get stronger so I can use it to make up for having no control over the lower leg and ankle. This will make it so I can perhaps walk and put weight on the foot without a brace. I will still need my cane for balance, but it won't be like a trap door anymore and just give out when I put my weight down onto it.

Coupling things with some other fears of things going on right now and to say I'm a basketcase is like calling water wet. My mental health (which is just as important) is being thoroughly tested at the moment and I'm hanging in there and doing the best I can. I'm looking to find a better medicine to help with anxiety and I think I've found one. I'm certainly feeling like anxiety, depression, exhaustion, etc is to be expected after the 3 months or so of news I've had. It's absolutely draining and I'm just spent honestly.

I've been waiting to share some of this until my surgery details got finalized but now I'm finally all set to go. After the surgery should it work, the saga that started in December of 2019 will finally be over. It's absolutely NOT the news I wanted, but to have closure is important in anything. I have it finally. After months of MRIs and neurologic tests, they finally found it. The stroke was over as soon as it started. It couldn't have been treated in the normal way of the strokes you hear about, and it couldn't have been prevented.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks, Austin. I'm so very sorry to hear about your dog. I may be at the core a "crazy cat lady" but I do love all animals. And then to hear of your friend and bandmate, my deepest condolences. I do hope you have a good rest of the year. Good luck on your surgery, thankfully you didn't have a full on stroke.

Stuck on the Border

Austin, what a rough time. At least you now know the cause of your foot problem and you have a plan. Losing a friend and your dog is hard. You are coping and if you need to vent from time to time, that's what we're here for. It's the relationships that keep people coming back.