Page 22 of 140 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Anyhow. The reason I'm here at 3:00am is that I'm trying to break my record for the longest distance I've ever cycled in one day. I plan to cycle up to Lincoln, then turn around and cycle back again. With a bit of padding, this should be 200km in one day. If I make it.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    There's a Luvy Jr. in this world? That's good. I hope he's half as sweet as his Ma.

NMB, your check is in the mail.

Last edited by LuvTim; 11-05-2016 at 08:17 AM.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Anyhow. The reason I'm here at 3:00am is that I'm trying to break my record for the longest distance I've ever cycled in one day. I plan to cycle up to Lincoln, then turn around and cycle back again. With a bit of padding, this should be 200km in one day. If I make it.
    Good luck, AT!

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    That's awesome LT. It is a lot a fun and have made friends with other authors through it too.
    Just found out today that daughter-in-law is, in fact, writing again this month.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Rudie, my professor uses a pure system. What you get on your test is what you get. There's 7 tests and no final. He'll drop the lowest test grade and average the remaining 6. He also has extra credit. Baby extra points are extra credit on test scores, and Big Mama extra credit points go on your final grade. Here's how it works my grades and extra credit I've done.
    Tests #1,2,3, & 4: 97, 93, 100, 100= 98 rounded average
    I've done 3 extra credit assignments that were worth 6 big mama extra credit points.
    98+6= 104 as my final grade (as of this point in time).
    I feel great to have the dropped test grade still available for me.

AT, with it being a small, mostly 2 year school, my professors have free reign over their classes. This guy has been at the school for 16 years. He's the only one qualified to teach the the 2 courses he teaches. Most students take American Government because they have to because it's required for almost any degree. Very few are going into the political science field, like our professor has. Most of us won't care about this information once we complete the class. I'm taking his other class, comparative politics, which is the next step after American Government, because I think that it might do me some good and broaden my possible future fields of study since political science and history are intertwined so much.

As for blowing off class, I know that some unexpected things can and do happen. My English class texted us 6 students that a class was cancelled because she had to attend a funeral at the same time, but she gave us a 24 hour notice. What pissed me off with this incident was that it was a complete waste of time to go to his class. I wouldn't have stayed the extra 3 hours in between classes had I known what he was going to do ahead of time.

Good luck with your biking today.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I may have mistood 'blowing off class'. I assumed that it wasn't for good reasons. Clearly classes are cancelled for reasons such as funerals, illness, attending academic conferences etc. In cases such as this we here will reschedule classes, and adjust the dates of assements. I can think of a case where the marking for a module was adjusted to exclude a test that couldn't happen.

It's none of my business of course, but I do find it a little bit worrying about the amount of power your professors have. While I haven't seen this sort of thing myself, there are certainly stories of university professionals not being very ... professional. In terms of playing favourites, penalising someone they don't like, or pressuring students for favours. In my experience, the vast majority of teaching professionals are dedicated, honest, and fair. But, oversight of some sort helps protect against the minority that might not be.

BtW: My ride went smoothly. It just took a very long time. I was out for a bit over 14 hours and was riding for the considerable majority of that.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Bearing in mind that it was 25-30 years ago when I was in college we had a totally different system. You would opt for 12 modules in your chosen subjects (8 in your major (pharmacology) and 4 in your minor (Chemistry). You went to lectures all year and had exams in each module (serious ones - 2 Hrs of writing per module) the following May/June. That counted for about 70 % of your assessment the remaining 30% came from your practical reports. You would not get individual marks for each module, just an overall grade. I think its become more flexible now wrt being able to mix modules, but other than that still very intense.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

My New guitar is here

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    My New guitar is here

Yea, Travlman, enjoy your new guitar!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...