Page 25 of 141 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    AT, are you a native Kiwi then? I thought you were an Englishman. Not to get too personal or anything.

Hey! You just reminded me that I saw something that might be useful to post in the Songwriting thread.
    I was born and grew up in NZ. My father was English, so I'm a dual citizen. Which is useful, though less so if the UK leaves the EU.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh dear - they wouldn't honor a dual citizenship? That seems harsh.

So you sound like this I suppose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7t2f-L6Z04

It all makes sense now though: the cycling, the running, battling the elements. Kiwis are rugged outdoorspeople, it is said.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Just wanted to say I plan on taking a break from The Border (and other online message boards) for a bit. This thread seems about as good a place as any to say this. I have been quite busy lately and not had much time to post on here, and with Christmas and January exams coming up this situation unfortunately won't improve for a while yet. To be completely honest, I have felt at times that the atmosphere in some (although it should be emphasised, not at all) sections of the board has been a little off colour recently, although the lack of time is a much bigger issue than this. Everything is fine, I just haven't had enough time to think about posting much, let alone get around to typing anything up!

I am aware that we are just a few days off the 40th anniversary of the release of Hotel California. I have no intention on missing out on this historic occasion, and will post in the Celebration thread at the appropriate time. I'll probably take my leave for the time being after this weekend. I don't want to give a definitive return date as such, but I've earmarked late January (when things should start to get less busy) unless something big comes up.

Good luck Johnny

Boy you wouldnt belive what happend to me today. I learned that to my generation facts dont matter at all.

So you know my name is Stephen. At school my friends sometimes call me Professer Stephen. Its because I have a huge knowledge of History/Politics and have a reputation of sometimes knowing more then my History Teachers. Its one of the only subjects I am better then most of my friends or classmates and have gotten straight As in CI without studying. I can send you a screenshot of my Grades if you want proff.

So for some reason in Algebra which is my worst subject I got frustrated and said I hate the Greeks because of the reputation of famous scientists . My teacher said it was the Mesopotamians and pointed to a poster of great moments throughout Math history. So I made a joke saying well. The. Mesopotamian's were responsible for many things in this world. Namely Math, Civilization, The Wheal and Instability in the Middle East. So this Girl is always trying to start a fight. She told me I was wrong that the Middle East was stable until America put dictators in during the Cold War. I respectfully said "Nope your wrong. The Middle East has always been an area of instability being the cradle of the world. She started calling me racist ignorant. I just kept on stating facts. The Middle East has gone through the Asyrrian Empire, Persian Empire, Egyptian Empire, Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, The Ottoman Empire, Crusades, World War 1.

The whole time she was calling me Racially Insensitive wanting to report me and that I was wrong. I littleraly had absolutely ZERO INTENTIONS of being racist. She was blabing about me being racist and I am like the other areas are The Congo with the Civil War, South Africa with Aparthtied, and the whole Ebola crises and Somaili Pirates. She is like I am from Nigera and you are wrong because I went there and saw none of that.

I had no intention of being racist I said. I am not wrong ask the CDC and the WHO and Uninted Nations. She continued this is exactly why my parents dont want me in public shools because of Crazy White people like you. I am like those are facts not being racist at all. She went down to the office to file a report against me for being racist which I was not.

I was sitting there domfounded lile how the fuck was I being Racist when I had zero intentions of acting it. If I was trying to be racist you would know it.

I got really pissed off and went down to talk to one of the Administrators who happens to be a History teacher. I told him what happened and he told me I was correct and she had no case.

So tomorrow I am going to the Office to file a counter report. How are facts racist? I would not be racist in public or private.

My friends never debate history with me for that exact reason.

Boy I hate my generation. First time in 4 years I was not the cause of trouble involving me.

So yeah it was a quite interesting Algebra Class

Oh dear - they wouldn't honor a dual citizenship? That seems harsh.

So you sound like this I suppose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7t2f-L6Z04

It all makes sense now though: the cycling, the running, battling the elements. Kiwis are rugged outdoorspeople, it is said.
    It's not that they won't honour dual citizenship. It's just that if the UK does actually leave the EU, then I may lose my freedom of movement. At the moment I can go and live and work in Spain or France or any one of a large number of European countries. I may lose this ability.

Though, the biggest problem if the EU is weakened in my eyes, was that it was created to lessen the chance of war. People seem to be forgetting not one but two world wars.

Kiwis also have the reputation of being able to fix anything in the world with a pair of pliers and a piece of number 8 fencing wire.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Though, the biggest problem if the EU is weakened in my eyes, was that it was created to lessen the chance of war.
    I didn't know that. I thought it was created for economic benefit. Nigel Farage - your buddy - was on CNN this past weekend suggesting that the U.S. and the U.K. could form a free trade agreement. That sounds exciting to me, but I don't claim any expertise on that subject.

Jonny, I will miss your contributions to these forums if you take leave of us. I hope you'll come back when you have more time.

Stuck on the Border

Johnny, you have my respect for taking time out for the more important things in life - like getting through those exams. I look forward to your return.

I agree that the board has seemed a bit "off" recently but I guess that's partly the transition from supporting a current band to a former one.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

JCL, enjoy your break and hope to see you around here again.

And Merry Christmas to you!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Enjoy your break and best of luck on the exams JCL!!!

Sorry about what happened in your class tm2. That does seem to happen more and more with our generation and how some don't really look into history or understand being sarcastic. I still feel weird being in the Millennial generation as it really is large when it contains those born between 1982 and 2004. Then again I always felt I was born in the wrong generation so there's that too. LOL

Not too much has been going on with me besides getting ready for Christmas. I think I'm already done shopping which is super early for me. It doesn't still doesn't feel like Christmas and this year went by so fast.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I didn't know that. I thought it was created for economic benefit. Nigel Farage - your buddy - was on CNN this past weekend suggesting that the U.S. and the U.K. could form a free trade agreement. That sounds exciting to me, but I don't claim any expertise on that subject.
    There's more on the EU here. https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/history_en

People complain that the EU is 'facist'. It was set up to prevent facism. We've just had new laws brought in, in the UK, which are a snoopers charter. Things aren't, in my opinion, heading in the right direction.

I'm internationalist in my views. When I was a foreign student in Japan, I had friends from countries that are now pretty much destroyed. I wonder what happened to them and their families. The EU was intended to reduce the likelihood of this happening.

Jonny, I will miss your contributions to these forums if you take leave of us. I hope you'll come back when you have more time.
    @Jonny - ditto from me.