Page 4 of 140 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by glojo View Post
    Had a four day weekend thanks to Hurricane Hermine. It would have been wonderful if the electricity had not been out for almost 36 hours.

On the plus side, Saturday we had a wedding shower for my daughter Lindsay and her fiancé Josh. They will be getting married on October 8.
    All best wishes for your daughter and her husband-to-be!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by glojo View Post
    Had a four day weekend thanks to Hurricane Hermine. It would have been wonderful if the electricity had not been out for almost 36 hours.

On the plus side, Saturday we had a wedding shower for my daughter Lindsay and her fiancé Josh. They will be getting married on October 8.
    I saw on the news that the storm hit the Grady/Thomas county area pretty hard. I feel for my fellow south Georgians who are still without power. At least you got an extra day off .

Congrats to your daughter and future son-in-law.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Thank you! I have kind of a crazy month ahead of me, but I am ready!!!!!!!

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Yesterday I smashed my record for swimming distance. Almost 12km in one go. However, there was significant 'river assist' (i.e. flow). My record for still water is only 3km, though I'm confident that I can smash that if I try. My previous river record was a bit over 6km.

I'm already looking to see how I can map out a 20km course in the same river. As we went at a relaxed, social, pace (and I had flippers), I wasn't even tired at the end of the 12km. But, in tootling along, it took us 3hrs 37min to complete! That's a long time in the water. (Though, it wouldn't seem so to channel swimmers.)

Off to London today. My partner has a committee meeting to go to, and I'm going with her. But, during the day I'll be wandering around by myself.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Wow, well done with the swimming! I enjoy swimming myself, but only in swimming pools rather than in rivers or lakes which I've never tried.

I'm going down to London myself next weekend - as a surprise birthday present my Dad got two tickets for Liverpool's match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Although I have been to quite a lot of football matches by now this is the first time I've ever been to a ground for a non-Merseyside team (I've been to see both of my teams - I've seen Tranmere Rovers loads of times and Liverpool about half a dozen times, and I've even been once to Everton, who I don't support) I think we'll sitting amongst Chelsea fans so we'll have to be reasonably quiet although I think we are away from the more fanatical element of the home support. If we play like we did against Leicester yesterday then we have a good chance. Come on Redmen!

Enjoy the football games. Leicester so far have slipped back down the leaderboard to where we used to be. Oh well, last year was nice

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Wow, well done with the swimming! I enjoy swimming myself, but only in swimming pools rather than in rivers or lakes which I've never tried.

I'm going down to London myself next weekend - as a surprise birthday present my Dad got two tickets for Liverpool's match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Although I have been to quite a lot of football matches by now this is the first time I've ever been to a ground for a non-Merseyside team (I've been to see both of my teams - I've seen Tranmere Rovers loads of times and Liverpool about half a dozen times, and I've even been once to Everton, who I don't support) I think we'll sitting amongst Chelsea fans so we'll have to be reasonably quiet although I think we are away from the more fanatical element of the home support. If we play like we did against Leicester yesterday then we have a good chance. Come on Redmen!
    Enjoy it. They were good against Leicester, weren't they? The Manchester result was good too...

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Yesterday I smashed my record for swimming distance. Almost 12km in one go. However, there was significant 'river assist' (i.e. flow). My record for still water is only 3km, though I'm confident that I can smash that if I try. My previous river record was a bit over 6km.

I'm already looking to see how I can map out a 20km course in the same river. As we went at a relaxed, social, pace (and I had flippers), I wasn't even tired at the end of the 12km. But, in tootling along, it took us 3hrs 37min to complete! That's a long time in the water. (Though, it wouldn't seem so to channel swimmers.)

Off to London today. My partner has a committee meeting to go to, and I'm going with her. But, during the day I'll be wandering around by myself.
    Congratulations, Twit! Very nice!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    6km to almost 12 km-- that's great, AT!

Thanks for the comments about the swimming.

I can't help but notice that Coniston Water is an excellent length for me to smash my record for maximum distance in still water https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...3!4d-3.0716266

Just as a comment: I think I can say with some confidence that I'm an experienced and knowledgeable open water swimmer who follows normal safety guidelines for doing so. I wouldn't recommend open water swimming unless people have good swimming skills, and take care. (E.g. swimming with experienced people at first, never swimming alone, never swimming drunk, etc.) I don't think anyone here is going to suddenly jump into natural water, but here is the River and Lake Swimming Association's Safety Video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBGp-q9oEoQ[/ame]

(That's me swimming backstroke @ 4min30seconds - I do swim better than that - at that time I was wondering what stroke to do and not swimming seriously. This was also filmed in October, which is why I was wearing so much.)