Page 53 of 140 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Oh my lord, we're going to have to address him as Dr. Jonny before too long!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Congrats Jonny!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well done JCL! Delighted to hear of your academic success. SH, great to hear from you too. Its been a while! And DJ, I hope things go well with you and your family - you certainly have a busy summer planned
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Wow, JCL! You're so ambitious! Enjoy your summer and hope you have lots of fun before you pursue your Ph.D. Are you planning on being a professor or do research along with teaching, if you don't mind me asking? Also, I know you've been on here lately, but I'd like to welcome you back after your lengthy absence. Welcome, JCL!

SweetHolly, congrats on your anniversary!

DJ, hope everything pans out well! Congrats to your daughter getting married soon as well as to your son getting his degree in the fall! Hope he recovers quickly after the braces and surgery. Ooh, the kidney infections must have been so painful, but good thing that you're getting it taken care of!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks everyone for ! Thanks also to Rudie for the welcome back (out of curiosity, how are your own studies going? Or have you finished now?) To answer your question, the research side appeals to me more than teaching so I'd prefer to focus on that rather than lecturing, although I wouldn't completely rule that out at this stage - it's still some way off.

One thing I definitely wouldn't worry about is me enjoying the summer - I've been finding plenty of ways to amuse myself (the weather has even been quite nice for the most part, which is unusual!).

Stuck on the Border

JCL - Wow ! Congratulations ! And best of luck on working towards your PhD.
    Your resume sure sounds impressive ! Just wondering, what college did you attend for your Masters and do you plan on continuing at that school for your PhD?

DJ - Best wishes for successful surgery for your son, and good luck on your daughter's wedding. Glad you are feeling better. One of my nephews was married a couple of months ago and I spent a fortune for the dress, shoes, hotel, etc. But, it was a beautiful wedding and so worth it.

Hi how is everyone doing?

This is my latest thing I made.
    https://soundcloud.com/guitarfreak-8...unglecivil-war

Don't worry I got some Eagles stuff coming up soon

JCL, I'm anxious and nervous about transferring to UC Berkeley next month for economics. I'm not guaranteed my major, so I need to get at least a 2.7 in my 2 pre-reqs. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't done on a Bell Curve for the stats class, but I will find a way to get through it. I doubt myself a lot, but it usually turns out well. I like to be pleasantly surprised.

If you do end up teaching in the future, that would be pretty cool. I'm glad that your summer is going pretty well.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    JCL - Wow ! Congratulations ! And best of luck on working towards your PhD.
    Your resume sure sounds impressive ! Just wondering, what college did you attend for your Masters and do you plan on continuing at that school for your PhD?
    Thanks! I've been at Nottingham University for the last four years. I enjoyed my time there (I really liked the campus environment) and I did consider staying but for my PhD I've decided to go to Liverpool, partly because it's closer to home but also because they have had a lot of investment in Chemistry and the other Sciences recently so it's very strong in my field.

Really good luck RCF, here's hoping the pre-reqs go well.

Stuck on the Border

Not just a first (and a masters) but one at a good university!
    I bumped into an old friend recently and learned that her elder son is hoping to start a Physics PhD at Liverpool in September (subject to getting at least a 2i so he can get funded). He's just finished an MSc degree at Bristol. My own son, decided to stick with a BEng (in Computing), as he wanted to get out into the real world but many of his friends stayed on for the fourth year.

I hadn't realised that four year degrees were so common. Back in my day, almost all degree courses were just three years but my guess is that's because of how they were funded - when the state was paying the fees and even maintenance grants, there would have been little support for longer courses.

I'm assuming that with a first, you'll have no trouble getting Research Council funding of whatever PhD you choose.