Page 90 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Gads, what isn't happening? Taking a short time out right now. Work has been crazy. It always is a couple of months before an election, but this year... wow. I swear I have entirely too much on my plate right now, and most of those items have "drop dead deadlines." Can't move an election because the software isn't ready. Well, after some late nights and a few weekend hours, I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Let's hold hands and pray it isn't an oncoming train, shall we? I mean, it's all good for the company, but it's driving the programmer (me) totally crazy.

On top of all that, I've made the decision to quit the non-profit I've been working with (and helped found) for the past 11 years. I do not have time to work full time on it and my job (and, believe me, the non-profit work is full time, too), and they need someone full time. I've been telling the other board members for over a year that someone else needs to step into my place, and I've been promised I would get help. Nope, as long as I'm doing the job, that's not going to happen, so I've made the decision to walk away. We've got a grant due on Friday (which is nearly done, just needs a couple more t's crossed and i's dotted), and I need to fill out a report for another grant that we received last year... then I am finished. And it needs to be a clean break, I'm not even staying on the board. I do have mixed feelings about it... but I need time to do what I need to do for my "next career."

And, yes... I've decided what that career is going to be. We shall see how it works out. At least the job is there to fall back on, but I don't want that...

Anyway, didn't really mean to write a novel... at least not here. I've been reading the board in-between program compilations, and I've been thinking about y'all... Hope to be able to hang out here a little more in the days to come!

CAinOH, wishing you well as you navigate this new path. Good luck! ​🍀

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border

CA - Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by The Silk Scarf Monkey View Post
    Hey everyone!

I wanted to share something with you that I'm really proud of.

So I wrote a novel about the Syrian Civil War 2 years ago. I have done some lectures about the book in libraries, but recently I have done a lecture at the university which was about the period in history after the Cold War, so the period we're living in now. I have focused on two particular events: the Arabian Spring and America's War on Terror, but I've discussed global warming, the EU and social media as well. My reason to do this is that we didn't learn about these things at school. The history books just kind of stop after the Cold War or tell only about the European "unification". So I think it's a good thing to discuss these events. Furthermore, I have noticed that we here in Western Europe look at the world in a particular way, and it is not necessarily always the truth. For example, most politicians here have an anti-Russian attitude, and although this is partially justified, Russia can't do anything but evil in their eyes.

Wait, I'll send you a link to two of the four videos that I have uploaded so far. I hope the channel can grow a bit, because I like to do these things, and it is line with the political science study that I want to start with next year.

Also, I have some other great news. I will go to the concert that the Eagles play in the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam at 3 June. It will be the first concert that I will ever attend and I'm very excited to see my favourite band play live finally.
    Wow! I will have to check these out. Congratulations!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Gads, what isn't happening? Taking a short time out right now. Work has been crazy. It always is a couple of months before an election, but this year... wow. I swear I have entirely too much on my plate right now, and most of those items have "drop dead deadlines." Can't move an election because the software isn't ready. Well, after some late nights and a few weekend hours, I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Let's hold hands and pray it isn't an oncoming train, shall we? I mean, it's all good for the company, but it's driving the programmer (me) totally crazy.

On top of all that, I've made the decision to quit the non-profit I've been working with (and helped found) for the past 11 years. I do not have time to work full time on it and my job (and, believe me, the non-profit work is full time, too), and they need someone full time. I've been telling the other board members for over a year that someone else needs to step into my place, and I've been promised I would get help. Nope, as long as I'm doing the job, that's not going to happen, so I've made the decision to walk away. We've got a grant due on Friday (which is nearly done, just needs a couple more t's crossed and i's dotted), and I need to fill out a report for another grant that we received last year... then I am finished. And it needs to be a clean break, I'm not even staying on the board. I do have mixed feelings about it... but I need time to do what I need to do for my "next career."

And, yes... I've decided what that career is going to be. We shall see how it works out. At least the job is there to fall back on, but I don't want that...

Anyway, didn't really mean to write a novel... at least not here. I've been reading the board in-between program compilations, and I've been thinking about y'all... Hope to be able to hang out here a little more in the days to come!
    Sounds like you're about to begin an exciting new chapter in your life! Best of luck! I'm excited for you.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Good luck CA! Hope it all works out for you!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I've had an interesting week! Just put my parents on a plane. They've been visiting since last Friday - that's 8 days total. I love having them here, but it sure doesn't give a girl much Border time, lol!

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

We are preparing to move back home to Southern California!!! I'm so excited! We are almost packed up, picking up the truck in the morning and will be on the road tomorrow night after my hubby gets home from his last day of work.
    Oh, and I had a pesky elevated heart rate episode and spent 2 days in the hospital. I'm good now, though and ready to start our new adventure. Taking it to the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    We are preparing to move back home to Southern California!!! I'm so excited! We are almost packed up, picking up the truck in the morning and will be on the road tomorrow night after my hubby gets home from his last day of work.
    Oh, and I had a pesky elevated heart rate episode and spent 2 days in the hospital. I'm good now, though and ready to start our new adventure. Taking it to the limit!
    Sorry to hear about the hospital stay, but the rest sounds very exciting! Safe travels to new adventures!

Stuck on the Border

CA happy to hear you are feeling better. Safe travels and good luck on the move.