Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Famous Eagles fans

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Famous Eagles fans

I just remembered about Steve Martin, and that Stephen Colbert is and he did a nice segment after Glenn died thanking him, Don, and the band for writing "Desperado" as that was the song he first danced to with a girl at a school dance. I think I remember reading on here before too that Conan O'Brien is too, as well as Andy Richter. And sticking with the late night talk show theme I think Jimmy Fallon is. He loves 70s & 80s music and does so many sketches about it, as well as doing the same on SNL.

And Fred Armisen from SNL and "Documentary Now" is and why he came up with the Blue Jean Committee with Bill Hader who just liked the documentary. Not sure about Seth Meyers who was involved with it too when they first did the SNL skit.

But I do think the most celebs I know that are fans are musicians. Did find an article on Entertainment Weekly talking about when Glenn died and saw some actors and celebs tweets were mentioned too like Miles Teller (who was in that great jazz drummer movie "Whiplash"), Fred Willard, Andy Cohen, and Carson Daly.

ETA: Found more on this People Magazine article with Rita Wilson, Larry the Cable Guy, and Hailee Steinfeld (a younger actress I've like in a couple movies, also sings and plays guitar, and met Glenn).
    Last edited by buffyfan145; 09-01-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Would it be presumptuous to say Richard Linklater, the film director? I read in one of these threads he's using "I Can't Tell You Why" as one of the songs in his latest film. I would think he'd use songs by bands he liked.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Just a few others off the top of my head that I don't think have been mentioned: Tom Hanks, Kevin Costner, Senator Al Franken, and the Kardashians.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

I'm thinking screenwriter/producer Aaron Sorkin must be an Eagles fan, or at least a Don Henley fan as h,e based an episode of the West Wing around the song New York Minute (Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail). Even though it wasn't my favorite episode, it was very cool hearing my favorite singer of all time on my favorite TV show of all time!

Slash and the rest of The Classic Lineup of Guns N Roses(even though my favorite version of the band is 2002.)

"Joe's probably one of the tastiest lead guitar players around. From way before he was in the Eagles, when he was in the James Gang and even in the Eagles, he's just got such an understated but great, nasty way of playing."

Don Henly played with the band in 1988

Axl also sang on I won't go quietly
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just remembered about "Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas (not to be confused with the musician) wrote a scene in the 2014 film continuation to Don's "The Boys of Summer". I remember when Rob tweeted the song while he was writing the script and told us to look out for the scene where they're driving the highway at night in their fictional California town as he wrote the scene to that song. The song is also very fitting for Veronica's relationship with Logan too. So Rob's a fan of Don's at least but I'm assuming the Eagles as well.

And Veronica was played by Kristen Bell who went to high school in Glenn's hometown Royal Oak.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I considered posting this in the Mentions In The Press thread, but on second thoughts I decided to put it here instead. I came across an article ahead of the US Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas which asked current Formula One drivers about their favourite songs. I've provided a link to the results page. I'll try not to spoil it too much, but one song we all know about a certain hotel comes up more times than any other track!

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/201...aste-in-music/

For the record, the three drivers who picked HC were Felipe Massa, Nico Hulkenberg and Marcus Ericsson. I'm not overly enamoured with Massa's other two picks - Uptown Funk and Pharrell's Happy are two songs I could care less for if I never heard them again - but I think Hulkenberg and Ericsson's other picks are good. Hulkenberg went for Surfin' USA by The Beach Boys and Satisfaction by the Stones as his other choices. Ericsson's set of songs is my favourite of all the ones given - I love Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd and although I probably wouldn't pick Back In Black myself I'd listen to it over a lot of the other songs mentioned.

It initially slightly surprised me that none of them picked Life In The Fast Lane. Perhaps they considered it too obvious a choice for a racing driver (obviously that may not have been the only reason for omission).

A couple of other observations:
    - I've never heard of any of Lewis Hamilton's picks, I'm guessing these are all rap/hip hop.
    - Max Verstappen must really, really like Michael Jackson - he picked two MJ songs. No one else picked more than one song from the same artist.
    - Jolyon Palmer, the youngest of the three British drivers, picked The Chain by Fleetwood Mac (the song is the definitive theme of the BBC's Formula One coverage and has been used in the UK for almost as long as it's been released since the late 1970s).
    - The driver with the most eclectic taste seems to be Daniil Kvyat, who picks tracks by Metallica, Motorhead and Frank Sinatra.

Stuck on the Border

Hulkenberg's choices were the ones I related to best.

Found out that the University of Alabama's football coach Nick Saban is an Eagles fan as he was on Dan Patrick's radio/tv show!!! During his interview Nick told of when he worked for the Cleveland Browns with Bill Belichick (the current coach of the NFL team New England Patriots) and they both used to skip meetings to go to concerts including the Eagles, Joe Walsh, and Ringo Starr, and they are both huge fans of all. I've always liked Nick Saban so that was an awesome surprise hearing this. There's some articles popping up online about it too.
    ~*Amanda*~

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

There are two mentions of Don Henley in Brian Wilson's new autobiography, which came out in October.

Brian says Don came backstage at one of his solo shows, holding a "Pet Sounds" album that he asked Brian to sign. Don expressed his long-time admiration, saying that he listened closely and studied Beach Boys harmonies as well as the structure of Brian's compositions. Brian signed his album, "Thanks for all the great songs" which seemed to please Don a lot. Then before he left, Brian asked for the album back, crossed out "great" and wrote "good." Don laughed.

This story struck me as odd because, though Brian does have the sense of humor of a teenage boy (in the 1950s), he's not mean at all. He seems like a sweet and guileless man-child. I'm a little puzzled at the "playful" insult that he directed at Don, which is not at all typical of his interactions with other artists or anyone else, AFAIK.

Then Brian mentions another time he was on the beach at Santa Monica with his wife when Don Henley walked by and said hello. Brian looked at him and said, "Your hair has gone through some changes in the years, man." Again, he reported that Don laughed it off. It's probably nothing but jovial camraderie between musicians, but as I say it stood out as odd and out of character - at least as Brian presents himself throughout the book.

Brian is definitely an Eagles (and Fleetwood Mac!) fan. He says he listened to their albums a lot in the 70s. He paid both bands a high compliment in saying that as the Beach Boys were the sound of California in the 60s, the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac represented California music in the 70s.